red yellow green behavior plan - ProTeacher Community

anngirl

red yellow green behavior plan
Old 01-06-2008, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm trying to make my behavior plan more concrete for my students and I. I'm going to try the clothespin idea. I'm painting a yard stick red, yellow and green. Each student will have a numbered clothespin that will be moved for inappropriate behavior.

Does anyone have any advice on implementing this? Do you make the student get up himself and move the clothespin- if so does this ever cause problems? Or do you have it up front so you can do it yourself? Any other ideas?

anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeDeb

Old 01-06-2008, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use a green, yellow, orange, red card system. For me it works very well!!! I have the student change their card when needed. Each time a student does change their card, they must fill out a sheet stating why their card was changed. I feel this makes them take responsibility for their action and the parent can see in their child's own writing what happened! Like I said, this works well for me!
2ndGradeDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Behavior
Old 01-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I did this the students moved the clip themselves. Then they had to get a slip of paper of the same color and they had to fill in why they moved their clip. I've attached a copy of the "green slip" that was copied on green paper and cut into squares. I had one for yellow and red too. As soon as they filled out the slip they placed it and their planner on my desk so that I could staple it in and write a note on the signature part so the parents would be sure to ask about it if it "disappeared".

Sometimes having the kids move their own clip was trouble because they didn't want to do it or they'd move it farther than you told them to (out of spite I guess) but if they did that, they were stuck with their decision and were not allowed to move it back (sounds harsh, but they never did it twice!).

Let me know if you have other questions!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Behavior Note - Green.doc (27.0 KB, 363 views)
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

barngirl

Old 01-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for the attachment. I love it!
barngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

? For MsPropel, and Other Ideas
Old 01-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

MsPropel, I take it that the kids do not start the day on green, then? That green is for the first level of misbehavior, instead of a level where everything is "A-okay?"

Another way of keeping track of where each child ends up at the end of the day (seen this in many different classrooms): Copy 5 M-F rectangles on white paper. The child colors in the rectangle at the end of the day according to the color they ended the day on. Teacher checks each before child is allowed to pack up! On Friday he/she takes it home to get it signed and returns it on Monday. Teacher files them in each child's folder for an overall record of behavior. (You could also have lines below each rectangle to write in why they had to move to that color.) In this method, students who get on red, automatically have to fill out a form that day and get it signed and brought back the next day.

In some classrooms, they also have rewards at the end of the day/month for staying on green (or in other words - not having to change their card/move their clip at all). Usually, it involves participation in "Fun Friday", with a video or games, etc. Kids who are not eligible must go to another classroom and finish schoolwork/homework, or do other "non-fun" tasks.

Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Elise82
Old 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My students started their day on blue so that they had three levels to move to. So blue is the level where all is good. Hope that makes sense!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

hmccourtie

My Color System
Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use a similar system, but instead of clothespins I have the large popsicle sticks and on all 4 ends, I have circular colored stickers. I have green, blue, yellow and red.

The way my system works is I have a posterboard that has library pockets attached to it with each student's name. In each pocket is a popsicle stick with the 4 colored stickers.

Each student starts the day on a green. Green means they are having a good day. If the students are keeping on task, doing their work, helping the teacher or more, I will tell them individually or as a group to change their sticks "UP" to blue, which means a great day. If they continue doing great, I have them change their sticks up to yellow, which means an excellent day. Every day a student ends on yellow, they receive a yellow ticket to put into a jar where names get chosen for the prize box on Fridays. It is a great incentive.

Now, at any time during the day the student is misbehaving, I will have them turn their sticks to red. Red is a bad day, and if they are on red before recess or lunch, I have them owe me time on the wall. Students can change their behavior around and start working back up toward yellow. I only let the parents know about red days if a student ends on one or if getting a red becomes a continuous problem.

I find this system focuses more on positive behavior than negative. I've used the card system in the past and I've seen students completely shut down if they have to change their cards down and have no chance of getting it back up.
hmccourtie is offline   Reply With Quote

KarinT

Card System
Old 01-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I too, use the card system in my class. All students star on green. They can earn a blue for outstanding behavior. Numberous times this year my entire class has earned a blue. Once with a sub! The positive--earnin something--has been good for my kiddos.

We have STAR folders in our class. In the star folder is a behavior calendar. At the end of each day the student fills in the days box with the appropriate colored face. If it is anything but blue or green I have to initial the box and the child has to write why the "card" was changed. At the end of each week, the parent signs in the "Saturday" box. Hope this all makes sense. I thought the calendar saves on paper, it's in their STAR folder so it doesn't get lost, and the whole month is there to show any patterns that may develop.
KarinT is offline   Reply With Quote

Bananabucksub

Try this!!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/ma...ementtools.htm

I saw this and thought it was an amazing idea. I hope this helps you out.

Jennifer
Bananabucksub is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleymarie81

Old 01-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach 5th grade and use "Clipboard Conduct." Each student has a clothespin with their name on it, which I print from my labelmaker. I painted my clipboard blue, red, yellow, and green. Each time they choose to break a rule, they move their clip on the appropriate color. All students start out on blue each day, then they go to green,then yellow, then red. On Fridays, I reward those who did not have their clipped moved all week. I have a student responsible for carrying the clipboard everywhere we go which is especially helpful for our activity teachers, because they have a class roll as well as a behavior plan already there for them.

I team teach and when our students switch classes, we swap clipboards also.

I have a spreadsheet with each students name that I use to document whenever a child's clip is moved. I save these in case I ever need to refer to them during parent conferences.

Attached is a copy of my spreadsheet template. Below is a link that has a picture of one of the clipboards I've used in the past.

Good Luck!
Ashley

http://ashleyhogue.com/classroompics.htm
Attached Files
File Type: xls clipboardconduct1.xls (16.0 KB, 143 views)
ashleymarie81 is offline   Reply With Quote