Help

ARCHIVE

Looking for a fun winter intermediate idea

>

dmamec

Looking for a fun winter intermediate idea
Old 01-09-2008, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We need a fun art project to liven up our classroom! It can tie to writing or math or something--but it doesn't have to. Everything I find is very "primary"--I'm looking for something more appropriate for 10 year olds. Any ideas of things you've done?

dmamec is offline   Reply With Quote

eliz4one

eliz4one

writing prompt
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 3rd, so don't know if you want to use this, but I did it today, and got great results. Their writing prompt was "The Day It Snowed M&M's". They each got a small cup of M&M's to munch on while they wrote. As I helped edit, they drew a picture (bright, colorful) to match. We mount both on large brightly colored construction paper (a variety of colors-just like M&Ms) and hang up.
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

character snowman
Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have the kids create a Snowman book report. Have the kids make three white circles of different sizes. Have them write the beginning, middle and end on the back of the three circles. You could also have them write character traits with specific details from the story on the back if you want. The front of the snowman can be decorated to represent the main character from the book they read. I have gotten some really cute ones in the past. (Harry Potter, Ramona, Henry and Mudge in lower grades, Ralph S. Mouse) The kids bring in the materials to create the snowman ahead of time. Felt, glitter, sequins, yarn, google eyes, cotton balls, buttons and anything else they want for their character snowman. they have a lot of fun while learning character analysis skills.

ConnieWI

"Eating an Eskimo Pie"
Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am attaching "Eating an Eskimo Pie." I have my room parents supply the Eskimo pies, and my students absolutely adore this writing activity!

Students followed the format of the attached and then wrote rough drafts from this prewriting activity. Final drafts were written on white lined paper shaped like an Eskimo pie and then mounted on brown paper slightly larger than the white paper but also shaped like an Eskimo pie. Lighter brown paper was used for the stick. (I made patterns for the brown paper and stick so the students could just trace it and cut out.)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Eating an Eskimo Pie.doc (24.5 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by ConnieWI; 01-10-2008 at 07:16 PM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzercise

Pattern
Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love this activity and plan to use it with my university students as I introduce the writing process to them next week. Could you email your patterns for the shapes of the Eskimo Pie and the stick? I am VERY artistically challenged! Thanks so much!!

jazzercise is offline   Reply With Quote