Rounding Task Analysis (steps)
01-09-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure if this is too advanced for your students but this is how I teach it.
1. Underline the number you are rounding.
2. Circle the number to the right of the underlined number.
3. Look at the circled number. If it is a 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 the underlined number stays the same.
4. Look at the circled number. If it is a 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 the underlined number goes up by 1.
5. Every digit after the underlined number becomes a 0.
I use a little saying too:
4 or less, give it a rest.
5 or more, raise the score.
Hope this helps!