Help

ARCHIVE

Geometry ideas and activities

>

girlygrandma

Geometry ideas and activities
Old 01-12-2008, 12:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for ideas, activities, projects, etc. to go along with teaching 3rd grade geometry.
Thank you everyone.

girlygrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Geometry for Third Grade
Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try to find someone who can loan you Math By All Means-Grade 3 (Marilyn Burns). It is wonderful!!

Read books about quilting, research quilt squares, and then design a single square or class quilt. Maybe you could use them in your guided reading groups, literature circles, or for read alouds. I use these books. They include: Grandfather Tang's Story by Ann Tompert, The Quiltmaker's Gift by Jeff Brumbeau and the sequel The Quiltmaker’s Journey, The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns, The Quilting Bee by Gail Gibbons, The Quilt Story by Tony Johnson, The Patchwork Quilt by Valerie Flournoy, The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco, Cloak for a Dreamer by Aileen Friedman, and Sam Johnson and the Blue Ribbon Quilt by Lisa Campbell Ernst. (If you check Amazon.com, you will find many more titles. Search “Children’s Books, quilts.”)

Teach two and three-dimensional shapes. Cut straws into four, six, and eight inches. You will need about a hundred of each length. I store them in plastic contains larger than sandwich size which are usually available at dollar stores. My students make two and three-dimensional shapes using the straws and twist ties. (Fold a twist tie in half and poke it into the end of two different straws.) This works very well, and they are reusable, which makes them cheaper! You can also use toothpicks and marshmallows, which are not reusable.

Actually, I also use straws and twist ties to teach line segments, rays, lines, parallel lines, and intersecting lines. You can also use jump ropes to teach this. (Students face each other for a line segment, both students have their backs to each other for a line, and one students faces away from the rope and one student faces the rope for a ray.)

I also take my students on a "geometry walk" around our school to look for line segments, rays, lines, parallel lines, interesecting lines, two-dimensional shapes, and three-dimensional shapes.

I also give my students a bag. They go home and find a sphere, rectangular prism, cube, cone, pyramid, and cylinder. They set these things on their desks and we have a "geometry museum." A few students at a time tour the room and must tell the "museum curator" which three-dimensional shape each item represents.

Go to www.mathwire.com. It is great! You will definitely get some ideas there.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Geometry Museum
Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check out the pictures page of our geometry museum. It was a culminating project that we worked on. As we learned each kind of geometric term, we did hands on projects knowing they would be displayed in our museum. It was highly motivating and lots of good learning going on. Other classes toured as well as parents. Luckily we have an empty room across the hall where we housed it
Linda

http://www.grand-valley.k12.oh.us/po...pl&id=DegreenL
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote
KellyH

KellyH

3rd grade teacher
Old 02-19-2008, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can you give me a few examples of the hands on activities you did for the geometry museum. I was unable to pull up the site.

Thank you.

Linda/OH

Geometry Museum
Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our district changed cites so this one should work. Go to Pictures Page> Geometry Museum.

Basically I collected student work thoughout the 6 week unit. We made rainbirds from triangles and displayed them on trifold boards, a hands on solids table-students identified the kind of solid (they brought in household items for this) and wrote the name on the bottom for self-checking, paper pyramids, symmetry pictures including their names cut out, tangram pictures hung up. Alphabet letters for symmetry too.

http://64.254.66.32/powpak/cgi-bin/h...pl?id=DegreenL

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Laura472

Laura472

Math Teacher
Old 03-30-2008, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the great ideas, I have been teaching just math for 2 years and am always looking for fresh and fun idea!