Can everyone share Valentine's Day ideas? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Valentine's Day

Can everyone share Valentine's Day ideas?

>

MrsCrystal

Can everyone share Valentine's Day ideas?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm used to upper-grade, and I know primary makes a bigger deal out of Valentine's Day, so I'd better come up with something cute! However, we have a no junk food policy at my school, which means no candy, cupcakes, soda, etc. even for class parties.

I need to come up with relatively healthy food to serve at our party (maybe somehow theme-oriented), and some (hopefully standards-based) activities for that day.

I have one idea to share in exchange for yours: last year in 5th, I sent home a list of students' names in their weekly homework packet before V-day. Their assignment was to write one kind comment about each person on the list. Once I collected all of them, I typed up the list for each student and they received a whole sheet full of compliments from their classmates on Valentine's Day. They loved it!

MrsCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote

salem

Adding on to Mrs.Crystal's idea.....
Old 01-12-2008, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also had my students write a positive comment about their classmates which I typed up. I then sent a letter home to the parents (see attached) that explained that they did not need to purchase boxes of valentines this year, that the students would be making their own.

I asked parents to send in any kind of valentine-type of items they could find to decorate a poster board. I got things sent in like paper doilies, foam heart shapes, letter stickers, glitter pens, etc. You can find a lot of these things cheap at the dollar stores. I got red and pink poster boards from the workroom at school (but Michaels also puts them on sale 4/$1 a lot of times.)

On Valentine's Day, each student drew out another student's name. Then they got that person's envelope with all the comments I had typed up from the other students. They made that student a Valentine poster, pasting the comments on it, and decorating it with the donated items. They were to try and keep the person's identity a secret until we handed them out (they moved all around the room to work and there was no peeking!)

A few fussed about how they did not get their "friend", but then they really got into it and did a great job. I got a TON of emails from parents who told me this was one of the nicest things their child had done in a long time, and how nice it was to read all the wonderful comments other students had made about their child!

Anyway, sorry this is long, but it was such a hit last year that I am going to repeat it again this year!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Valentine's Day Letter.doc (24.0 KB, 982 views)
salem is offline   Reply With Quote
DebbieJO

DebbieJO

Valentine Snacks
Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We frequently ask parents to provide cheese, meat and crackers for our parties. The kids actually prefer it along with juice as a drink. They are usually so anxious to open their Valentines that they dont' worry too much about snack anyway. If there are no food allergies you could ask for strawberries, carrot sticks with dip or ants on a log. All healthy snacks my students love.

hamblinhaw

Wow this is great
Old 01-12-2008, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Salem
This is a wonderful idea. I think that students need all the postive reinforcement that they can get. This is something that they can keep for always. Thanks for sharing this wonderul idea. I am going to use it with my second graders. Thanks for sharing!
hamblinhaw is offline   Reply With Quote

azne18

Salem what a great
Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

idea. I am going to do something similar in my classroom. Thanks to all for sharing some great ideas. I wanted to do something different then the usual little Valentines cards! Thanks

azne18 is offline   Reply With Quote

dct5600

Food for Parties
Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just received my Family Fun Magazine and there were very cute and nutritious recipes for parties. One in particular was cutting watermelon into heart shapes using a cookie cutter. Place a toothpick diagonally throught the heart and attach cantalope cubes on both ends of the toothpick. Very cute! I think I will be doing this for my class this year!
dct5600 is offline   Reply With Quote

theteach123

Valentine Party
Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My school celebrates "Healthy Heart Month" in Feb. Each day there is an activity planned. I incorperate this theme into the classroom by having a "Healthy Breakfast" for Valentine's Day. My families are very generous and helpful. I ask for bagels, fruit, yogurt, etc. (My class doesn't have any allergies this year) The kids get to eat a healthy breakfast and then pass out their Valentine's. They have a lot of fun I really liked the post about cutting the watermelon into heart shapes with a cookie cutter. I will be doing this as well. I will even bring it to my son's day care as well
theteach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2share

what a
Old 01-13-2008, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

great idea!!! All children need positive reinforcement!
luv2share is offline   Reply With Quote

caroleu

Valentine's game
Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a Valentine's game that was a huge hit when I did it a few years ago (last time I was in third). I am definitely going to do it again this year. (BTW, I got it somewhere - didn't invent it!)

Very simple. Each student needs a small paper cup (bathroom size) about half to two-thirds full of alphabet noodles (uncooked). You write a Valentine-themed word on the board (I used a PowerPoint instead).
At your signal, the students dump the letters on the desk and try to be the first one to spell the word. The winner gets a small prize.

Have students put the letters back in the cup before going to the next word.

You don't need to do too many words for third grade because it takes some time and you don't want it to drag on too long.

You could have heard a pin drop in the room as they worked to find their letters quickly, and they loved it - begged for more words! (Always leave them wanting more.) The games is called Love Letters!

Last edited by caroleu; 01-15-2008 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: add something
caroleu is offline   Reply With Quote

caroleu

Love Letters powerpoint
Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is the PowerPoint I used for the game I described in my first post.

Attached Files
File Type: ppt love letters game.ppt (59.5 KB, 674 views)
caroleu is offline   Reply With Quote