New Teachers

Teaching Inferencing

>

Dragonlady

Teaching Inferencing
Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I am not a new teacher but I am new to this grade level. Previously, I taught 6-8 grade reading and math. Now, I teach in a resource room. My student are 1st grade-5th grade. My question may sound strange but I am not sure as to how I am to teach inferencing to second graders who are experiencing delays that are 6 months to a year below grade level. For some reason, teaching this skill is perplexing me. If anyone can offer advice or tips as to how I am to go about this, it will be helpful.
Thank You,

Nessa

Inferencing riddles
Old 01-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My 4th graders also have trouble with inferencing-"reading between the lines". We do a 'riddle' of the day. I read them a few sentences, to a short paragraph and they have to guess what is going on, or what the character is feeling, or what the weather is etc.

They think it is a big game, but they are getting practice using what they know and what the author tells them to infer.

Something like: Michael looked out the window and noticed the grass was getting long. He went to the garage and started up the machine. What did Michael start?

I also stop alot during read alouds and ask infering type questions.

BeachTeach3

Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have a book for the inferening riddles? or make them up yourself. my fourth graders have trouble with inferencing too!

Meggin

Some inferencing poems
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've used these poems with my 4th grade class. It might work for you as an oral activity; read a bit and have them guess what the poem is about. The further you read in each poem, the easier it is to figure out what the subject is. Go here to find the poems.

Dragonlady

Inferencing-reading between the lines
Old 01-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for your suggestions. This is the first time I am back at this website since the last time (1/13/08). I will certainly use your suggestions this week. Hope you all have a great week.
Thank you again,
Dragonlady

Nessa

Inferencing riddles
Old 01-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sorry for the late reply...its been a busy month

I make my riddles myself...usually on the fly while we are standing in line waiting for the art teacher or something.

I try to think of everyday type events...riding a bike, making waffles for breakfast, getting frustrated with homework....and then I try to describe them in a round about way.

Ex: Susie walks in the door and drops her bag by the kitchen table. She reluctanctly plops into the chair pulls out a sheet of paper and graps her pencil. What is Susie doing? Now she could be making a list of the things she forgot to pick up at the grocery store...but a 4th grader is immediately going to think of homework.
I try to recognize other opinions that could be correct even if it wasn't exactly what I was thinking.

The other thing I do is stop often while doing read aloud and ask the students to infer what is going on, or what the characters might be feeling, or what might come next (predicting is a type of infering- using background knowledge to make a reasonable guess at what is, or will be happening).

hljg

Old 02-11-2008, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I usually begin teaching inferencing with pictures. There are no words in pictures but we discuss how we can learn many things just by looking at the picture. What is going on, where it might be, how the people are feeling, etc. Then we transfer this info. to simple texts that I model the thinking out loud of how to "read between the lines" linking this to the picture examples. (Did the picture tell you that he was happy? No, how did you know? The person was smiling, laughing etc. Did the author tell you he was happy? No, how did you know? It said the person smiled when talking or laughed or whatever the case may be.) We then just build on this; moving to more complex texts over time.

I hope this makes sense. It seems to have worked well with my 3rd graders.

Dragonlady

Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks again to all who wrote suggestions. They are all practical and useful. This is an ongoing strategy for my group as I teach students with special needs, grades 1-5. So, I will continue to revisit inferencing thoughout the year and next. And, I am copying down all the suggestions to keep in my notebook for handy referencing. Thanks again.

phoebe611

poems
Old 02-22-2008, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Meggin, that site for the poems is great! Thanks for sharing your resource!
Zirta

Zirta

Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow!!!! Im a Mexican teaching EFL. Your suggestions are just what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing such wisdom. I am applying the riddles today to work on inference!

Dannamolly

Dannamolly

teacher
Old 11-04-2008, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi Megan
The website you referred to is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. I basically printed out 5 of the poems a week ago and went back to print the rest but they are no longer there. Do you by chance have the other riddles. I know it wasnt your website but if you do, could you send me the link?

Mag234

Mag234

poems?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Meggin,
I am searching for ideas to teach inferencing and came across your post, but when I clicked on your poem link, it said that aol blog was no longer available. Yikes! Help! I'll keep searching in hopes of finding the poems, but meanwhile, can you share again?
Thanks,
Maggie