Help

ARCHIVE

Smartboard Observation

>

luv2teach77

Smartboard Observation
Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next month I have to have my principal observe me doing a lesson incorporating our Smartboard. To all the teachers that use this in your classroom or computer labs, do you have any suggestions for lessons that went well when you tried them in your own classroom. I'm looking for something pretty interactive and probably math related (but it doesn't have to be). I've found some good sites with ready made lessons, but nothing that I've been 100% thrilled with.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated,
Deb

luv2teach77 is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

Patterns
Old 01-16-2008, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We played a game with patterns. The kids loved doing it and some of the patterns were pretty tricky. There was a lesson in our math book on patterning so it was relevant. http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/frames_asid_184_g_1_t_1.html
soph is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Counting money
Old 01-16-2008, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got my Smartboard last year. My favorite thing to use it for was counting coins. The kids had play money on their desks. I had coins on the Smartboard (from either their resources or google images). I wrote on the board how many of each coins (2 quartes, 3 dimes, 1 penny). Each child at their seats found those coins and counted the money. The child at the Smartboard took the coins and dragged them into the work area. They counted the coins, writing beneath them the total value (25 cents, 50 cents, 60, 70, 80, 81) Sorry--no cents sign on the keyboard. The kids loved it!

Good luck!
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What grade do you teach? We have boards in all of our grade 7 and 8 classrooms, plus our grade 4/5 room and our grade 1 room. I love mine and am not sure I could teach without it any more.
dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach77

grade level
Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oops, sorry I definitely should've mentioned that I'm teaching 2nd graders. Thanks for the suggestions so far. My nervousness is based on the fact that we have one Smartboard in our building that we move between classrooms as teachers want to use it. We got it at the beginning of the year, and had a half day run through of how to use it back in September. To be quite honest it intimidates me so I've avoided using it so far this year, not to mention the hassle it is to drag it down to your room and get it all set up and working properly. Now that I need to use it for an observation, I'm wanting to use it a few times next week to practice with it and so my students are familiar with how it works. Getting insight from teachers that are currently using a Smartboard in their classrooms and what you find works best is really helpful, so please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks!
Deb

luv2teach77 is offline   Reply With Quote

jennmcg72

Smarttech
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Try the smarttech website. You can find tons of lessons already made for use with your Smartboard. The lessons can be searched by grade level and/or subject. I've found lots of great things there. Good luck!
jennmcg72 is offline   Reply With Quote

duchessCF

money/smartboard
Old 05-02-2009, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I feel intimidated like you too. I teach 1st grade. Our school was recently renovated, every classroom has a SB! We had 1 day training. I have been making attempts to use my SBrd. more.
Math is a good place to begin.
I did an activity yesterday related to money.
I had used the cloner feature and had students come up and drag down different ways to make a given amount (ie .07 and .10, .25)
I had asked students to do it with the real money the had on their desks. Then I had different kids come show what they did on the smartboard. We modeled how to count and write the amounts.
All were actively engaged and the kids who needed the support strengthened their skills. DuchessCF
duchessCF is offline   Reply With Quote