Social Stories and Autism - ProTeacher Community

tsymia

Social Stories and Autism
Old 03-29-2006, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone had ever used a social story, and what the outcome was. Were their improvements in the student, how long did you use the story for, ways of implementing the story...etc....

tsymia is offline   Reply With Quote

bunny417

bunny417

social stories and autism
Old 03-29-2006, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I am a resource room teacher with 2 students with autism on my caseload. I use social storeis a LOT with my students. Before I begin anything new I write a story with them and utilize a great deal of pictures. With my lower functioning student(who spends 1/2 of his day in an AI self contained program) I read and reread the story quite alot. Whenever he shows me he is anxious in relation to the change OR asks for it to be read, I will get the story out and reread it again. After a while the story isn't needed. The child will eventually internalize the expected behavior and I then move onto another story. I try to work on just a few 2-3 stories at once if that. I am happy to share any stories with you if you'd like. I've also got a format and charting which helps you evaluate if the story was helpful in changing the child's behavior.

tsymia

Old 03-30-2006, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow thanks,
So social stories are used as transitional tools/ introducing new aspects of routine. If you could share thoes stories and resouces it would be fantastic!!!!. Thanks a million for that info!!!,
Am hoping to write social stories for matt time, and sharing at the present moment.
Thanks
tsymia is offline   Reply With Quote

RAD

Social Stories
Old 03-30-2006, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a great-nephew with autism. He's in 5th grade. My niece, his mother, uses social stories at home all the time. His great-grandmother recently passed away. Social Stories were very helpful in getting him through the funeral, etc.
Anytime there is a change, she is writing another story. I know the school uses them too. My niece will comment that something must have happened in school today as Todd came home with a social story.
RAD is offline   Reply With Quote

michellen2008

SocialStories.com
Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here's a great website:

www.socialstories.com...

Social stories are very helpful. They've helped me learn concepts, in which I wasn't able to learn auditorally. Social stories had pictures, in which I could see, and know, what to expect next - without any sudden changes. They helped me understand, that it was "okay". It helped me, not become as anxious.

If you have any questions regarding Autism - just let me know, as I have Autism myself. =D

Good luck!

Michelle
HFA; Higher-Functioning Autism, Bipolar Disorder, and ADHD

michellen2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Beryl Pierce

Beryl Pierce

Social Skills Stories
Old 05-22-2006, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would like to know where to find your social skills books for the autistic children. My e-mail is vzeee02t@verizon.com.

mdewhirst

social stories
Old 06-08-2006, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would love to read your stories and see the charts you use. I will have 5 students with autism next year. My email is michelledewhirst@msn.com
Thanks,
Michelle
mdewhirst is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

Social Stories
Old 06-08-2006, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am a regular education teacher who has had the awesome oppertunity to work with Autistic children in the regular ed. class. I have used social stories and love them. The student I had last year mainly used his story as a way to communicate and get along with his classmates. He could read the story to them and tell them about the pictures. His book had pictures from kindergarten through second grade (I teach second) and pictures of his family. I also let him use the digital camera to take a few pictures of things he wanted added to his book.
The student I had this year used his social story to help him remember how to act during class time. He has a tendancy to throw things so we used the story to show him sitting nicely at the table, reading a book, interacting with me, etc. It really helped to cut down on the throwing. He also had a full time para so she would read the story to him. By the end of the year he could read a few of the pages himself.
NCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Kar

I would love your stories and charts
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi!

I'll be working with two students with autism next year. My superintendant has been very supportive, and is willing to pay me this summer to prepare. I've found several examples of social stories, but am trying to create a binder of them in order to be as ready as I can be for the fall. I would love to see your stories, and and am very interested in your evaluation methods. My email address is karbie18@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Kar is offline   Reply With Quote

sped76

Social Stories
Old 06-14-2006, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would also like to have examples of your social stories as well as your evaluation sheet. I have used social stories in the past and would love to see some more examples. My e-mail address is mezger@grm.net. Thanks!
sped76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Wildtch

Wildtch

Social Stories
Old 07-17-2006, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would love to have a copy of your social stories and formats!!!!

Please email to Wildtch40@bellsouth.net

Thanks
Lori

mjsuter

Social Stories
Old 07-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would also like to have copies of any social stories that you may have handy and are willing to share. Also, any format information would be appreciated. I teach in an Arizona Junior High and our caseloads are very high (11 last year in my Autism self contained room) and their skills levels are varrying. Also, I have my own LLC and provide services for children with ASD.
So any social stories will be extremely appreciated. Especially, if they include pictures for my lower functioning kiddos that I have difficulty placing in inclusive settings with appropriate support. I have been using the individual students PECS binders for teachable moments when social skills training is appropriate, although it is not useful for most of my students.

Thanks!
Michael
inclusive.services@gmail.com
mjsuter is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

Carol Gray
Old 07-20-2006, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

has written a book about social stories. THere are many in the book (examples) and after reading it I was able to easily write my own with my son and students in my classroom.

mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote

cannona53

Social Stories---follow-up
Old 07-29-2006, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would like to contact the person( student) with the HFA ( etc) for some advice. I am teaching a class of 7 HFA boys in the middle school. IT is a pilot program to help these students navigate through the sometimes devastating "social world" of the middle school....Last year was wonderful, my students actuallly formed a network among themselves -next year I want to reach out more to regular ed to find students to join in our social circle time...I am having a difficult time getting them to choose appropriate role models because this particular school has some pretty tough demographics--Are there any electronic websites for these students to network with????
cannona53 is offline   Reply With Quote
d barett

d barett

social stories
Old 10-02-2006, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

If you get a chance I would also like a copy of your stories or format. Thanks. I am new to this and could use all of the help I can get.

dbarrett@octorara.org

bagels

Social Stories
Old 08-30-2008, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hi there. I am a grade 2 teacher who is getting a child with autism for the afternoons. I have been advised to use social stories and to video tape him to create video stories (?). I see that you offered to share some stories. Could I get a copy? I really don't have a clue what is meant! I will have a 1/2 time aide, thankfully. Any thing you can suggest would be helpful. I will have 24 other students as well.
Thanks so much!
Mrs. "Bagels"
honobale@gyrd.ab.ca

Last edited by bagels; 08-30-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Left out email address!
bagels is offline   Reply With Quote