Help

ARCHIVE

Teaching in the southeast

>

tammych

Teaching in the southeast
Old 01-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My DH and I are considering relocating. He is between jobs and this is something that we have often talked about. My question is
What is it like to teach in your state? Working conditions? Are jobs available?
What are the benefits? pension? salary? tenure?
I teach in Pa. We have a great retirement program, that is why we haven't left yet. I pay $35 a month for my family med benefits including vision and dental. Salary in my district starts around $37,000 and we max in the $80's, after many, many years. I also have tuition reimbursement.
I know that I will have to make concessions, but we are counting on medical and pension.
Any thoughts??? We have mainly thought about TN, NC, SC,GA,FL.

tammych is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Nc
Old 01-26-2008, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We moved from NJ about 9 years ago and I love NC. Teaching jobs are plentiful. I will tell you that salaries are lower, but so is the cost of living. Not sure what area of PA you are from, but NJ became cost prohibitive for us to live, so when DH had an opportunity for a new job we jumped at the chance. Here's the link to salary guides in NC. Keep in mind that each district also gives a local supplement that ranges from 3-9%.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...8schedules.pdf

What type of work does DH do?

Please feel free to PM me if you want anymore information.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieG04

Nc
Old 01-26-2008, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Tammy, I love teaching in North Carolina, but if you're coming to the southeast, be prepared for some teaching "culture shock." North Carolina, along with all the other states you named, have much lower pay scales than PA. You can check NC's salary schedules at www.ncpublicschools.org. The state sets the base salary and then each school district adds a "supplement" based on their budget. Each district pays the supplement in different ways, some pay it incrementally (sp?) in each paycheck, some pay in a lump sum at the end of the year, etc. The pay is improving here, but is still low for the nation--1st year starts around $30,000 and the max is about $55,000 (on the Bachelor's scale). Benefits are decent but not nearly as good as you describe. All teachers are state employees and therefore we have the same health insurance, BCBS of NC. I'm not sure what the family premium is, but I know that coverage for yourself is free and for you and a child is about $180/month. Dental benefits vary by district but are typically available. Basic vision is covered under BCBS PPO plans. NC's retirement fund is decent, I believe it's been well run and has a good rating. Most districts offer some form of tuition reimbursement but it's limited and first-come-first-served.

Oh, many districts do offer a signing bonus for new teachers!

There are jobs available. I don't know what your certification area is, but NC still estimates a need of about 10,000 new teachers each year based on retirement and turnover. There is higher demand for math and science teachers, along with special education.

Working conditions are likely to be your biggest adjustment. The legislature has passed laws to require daily duty free lunch and optimum planning time but allowed that if the School Improvement Team at each school couldn't figure out a way to do it then nothing would change. There is funding for teacher assistants in grades K-3; again, this varies from district to district. Some schools limit your number of copies per month, supplies provided by the school may be minimal, and technology varies widely from district to district.

We do have tenure, generally granted (I think) at the end of the fourth year for traditional track teachers. However, we can have teacher associations (some say unions) but we cannot enter into collective bargaining agreements or strike ("right to work" laws). Most folks moving here go for the bigger cities like Charlotte and Raleigh--these may pay higher supplements but they have the higher cost of living to go with them. I've heard many people say that North Carolina taxes everything (i.e. sales tax on everything, personal property taxes, etc.), but since I've only lived in states with similar systems (VA and MS), I don't know any better!

That said, I enjoy teaching here and things have improved a lot in the last few years. North Carolina is beautiful, as is Pennsylvania. We have much milder winters (we close schools for a hint of snow!) and HOT summers. The beaches here a wonderful, too. Whatever you decide to do, I hope that it works out for you and your family.
JulieG04 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

NC taxes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will say it was somewhat of an adjustment to pay tax on clothes and other things, however property taxes are WAY LESS here than up norht, especially NJ. Our taxes were about 1/3 of NJ taxes when we moved here and we had double the size property and 1000 sq feet more in house.

I think some of what Julie says is true everywhere as far as # of copies and duties, etc. I have seen similar info on PT from many other states. I think things vary from district to district within the state. Yes, the south pays less and we have no unions, but I still like the cost of living being doable.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigger518

Ga
Old 01-26-2008, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach in Ga we start out a 32,000 and we have a step pay system plus each county pays a supplement. So the total all depends on the county you teach in. http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ you can find more information there. We do have a good retirement through the state we pay some and the county pays a certain amount towards it as well. As far as insurance it all depends on the county you are in. My county gives free dental and long term disability but again it all depends on where you teach. There are always teachers needed in certain areas. Especially in Cobb County. You can check out www.teachgeorgia.org to look at what jobs would be available. Also cost of living is cheaper here than up north.

Tigger518 is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Nc
Old 01-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been teaching in NC for the past 8 years ( moved here from southwestern Virginia). Right now, halfway through my 14th year of teaching, I am making about $40,000 a year. My district pays a 6% supplement 10 out of 12 paychecks a year. I have taught in Mount Airy, NC (in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains), Chapel Hill-Carroboro City Schools (home of UNC), and now slightly northwest of Chapel Hill- Burlington. When I taught in Chapel Hill, my supplement was 12% a year, paid 12 out of 12 checks. I am married, but only have myself on my insurance, because it is free to do that. Class sizes, assistants, supplies and instructional money vary greatly from district to district. Right now, my district does not offer tuition reimbursement. Chapel Hill does. I love teaching in NC- it is a right to work state, so there are no unions and no negotiated contracts. I do not have duty free lunch- I eat in the cafeteria with my 25 lovelies every day. I have recess duty every day. I have morning duty 4 or 5 times a year- 5 days each time. NC has an enormous need for teachers for all grades, subjects and regions. If you have any other questions, PM me and I'll happily answer them.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tammych

Old 01-27-2008, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you so much for all of the info. We have talked about moving south every year of our marriage. We vacation each year to east coast beaches and every year it comes up again.
My Dh is havng trouble finding a job here in Pittsburgh. He is looking into supervisory jobs in construction or heavy equipment sales or rentals. He is working on an online degree in project management, so when that is finished we may make the break. He has about 6 months left so I figure the new school year could see me in a new location.
I am a little nervous, because as you have seen,we're a little spoiled here. I'm eligible for tenure at the end of the year, so it's a big move. As long as we could make it financially, I would love to try. I love teaching and that won't change over a few dollars.
I guess it will come down to where he finds a job and if our house sells.
Thanks again,
I'm off to check out those websites.
tammych is offline   Reply With Quote
Judy08

Judy08

Finding teching jobs
Old 02-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi
I read your message to Tammy and have a question for you.
Where are all the teaching jobs in NC, TN and VA?
We have been searching but have not located these positions that are supposedly available. I'm stumped.
My husband has recently earned a Master's degree in teaching. He has endorsements in Elementary Education and Mathematics. He would like to teach Middle School Mathematics.
Our hope is to relocate to Eastern Tennessee (I am originally from Bristol) Southwestern Virginia or Western NC.
Thanks!