Help

ARCHIVE

Dog Literature Unit

>

Sam5

Dog Literature Unit
Old 01-26-2008, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Because my students love animals and especially dogs, I have, through Scholastic Book Warehouse sales and other places, collected enough Bill Wallace dog books for all my guided reading groups. I have variety of levels. I have a basal story by Gary Paulsen about his dog Cookie and his book Life in Dog Years to take short stories from. I also have some animal hero and Chicken Soup Pet Stories. I also thought I might read Shiloh aloud to them. We take our state tests in the beginning of March. I thought right after that we would do a dog unit- purely for the sake of enjoying literature. I don't want to just give them a list of questions to answer and I have never been successful with literature groups.

Does anyone have any great ideas on how I can pull all of this together?
Or ways I could have the various groups share their stories with other groups?
Do you know of a great dog story other than Shiloh(I think several of my kids have already read it) that would make a great read aloud? (It can't be Where the Red Fern Grows- 6th grade has that one)

What about Old Yeller? Has anyone tried reading it aloud to fifth graders or shown the movie?

The books I have are:
above grade- Red Dog
At level- No Dogs Allowed, Pick of the Litter, A Dog Named Kitty
Below- Backwards Bird Dog, Goosed

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Combow

I don't know if this will help
Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/dogs/index.htm

It's a whole unit on dogs.
Combow is offline   Reply With Quote

Mackenzie AK

Other Titles
Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What about Because of Wnn Dixie. Great book, cute movie
Old Yeller is great for fifth graders. I have a hard time with it, I am too emotional.

I use a modified lit circle format that I got from Laura Candler, you can check it out on her website. I really enjoy the format and my kids are successful at it also. I have them meet 3 times throughout the book, and everyone shares a bit of everything. It is all very manageable. I do not like the traditional, meet every day, everyone has a different job format, too much keeping track ect, ect.
Try it!!!!
Mackenzie AK is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Another title
Old 01-27-2008, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A great read aloud for this unit if you are looking for something other than Shiloh might be A Dog's Life: Autobiography of a Stray by Ann Martin. Here is a review from Amazon:

"Grade 4-6–From the comfort of her new home, a dog provides a retrospective narrative of her 10 years as mostly a stray. Squirrel's voice is consistently gentle, even as she describes her surroundings and life-changing events. She describes the circumstances of her birth, and conveys sadness and grief upon the disappearance of her mother, separation from her brother, and fear when fighting mean, starving dogs. Perhaps it is her sweet nature that makes her complacent about life on the run, but it also makes her story less compelling. Avi's The Good Dog (S & S, 2001) and Sarah Clark Jordan's The BossQueen, Little BigBark and the Sentinel Pup (Tricycle, 2004) also have canine narrators but convey many rich, satisfying details about what it smells and feels like to be a dog–details that are missing here. Nevertheless, libraries with dog lovers and Martin fans will want to give this book a home.–Laura Scott, Farmington Community Library, MI"

I do not agreee with the review. I think this book is better than The Good Dog by Avi!! I was first introduced to this book when I found it at a Scholastic Warehouse Sale. I use it as a read aloud, but it would be perfect for fifth graders as part of a literature circle too. It has a lot of "meat" which is what I always look for in a literature circle book.

An activity to include in this unit might be speakers who work with dogs (fireman, policeman, Humane Society, someone who trains hunting dogs, blind or disabled person). Most kids don't realize that dogs are not only "pets" but also can be trained to "work." I bet if you check the internet, you could find newspaper/magazine articles about how dogs help search for people who are lost in earthquakes, hurricanes, and 9/11 victims. Two writing activities for this activity would be thank you notes to the speaker, or a class newspaper article telling about information learned from the speakers. You could call the newspaper "Bare Bones" or some such catchy title.

Either Sunday (today) or Monday (tomorrow), there is a kennel club show on TV. Tape it. Show it to your students so they can see the variety of dog breeds and how dogs are judged at these competitions. This would be a wonderful way to introduce this unit.

Another thing you might want to do is have your school librarian collect picture books that you think the age-group you teach might enjoy. You could place these in a basket in your room, your students could practice reading them, and then eventually, they could read one to a child in another grade. Your students could also write book reviews about these picture books.

Have you thought of having a DDA (Dog-Day Afternoon) of reading books about dogs? You could serve "Puppy Chow" and water. (My students love Puppy Chow...made with Chex, chocolate, powdered sugar...I don't know the recipe, but I am sure you could have your room mother throw some together. The recipe might be on the Chex box, it might be on the Food Network website, or maybe someone else who posts about this will have the recipe.)

If you want your students to share the books they are reading, have them get together every few days in small groups of three or four. The group would include at least one person reading each book. However, you might find that by putting a few copies of the other titles in your classroom library, students not reading that book might choose it as an independent read.

Also, be sure to use non-fiction books from your school or community library. My school library has a set of about twenty books about different breeds of dogs. Your students could use these nonfiction books to make Venn diagrams or write compare/contrast paragraphs about two different breeds.

Last edited by ConnieWI; 01-27-2008 at 06:10 AM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

beautiful dog stories
Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am in the process of reading "Where the Red Fern Grows" aloud to my class. They like it so far... Haven't gotten to the sad parts yet.

They read "Stone Fox" "Balto" and "Shiloh."

Old Yeller" is great, but sad.

They loved all these books. It seems like all dog stories are so sad...except Winn Dixie, that one is happy.

Sam5

Thanks for the dog ideas
Old 01-27-2008, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks so much for the great ideas!
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jen72386

Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Where the Red Fern Grows is an amazing book to read as a class! I remember reading it in 5th grade and many of us crying throughout it. It was very touching and has stuck with me all my life.
Jen72386 is offline   Reply With Quote

CCrawford

Dog Watch series
Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You need to get the Dog Watch series from Mary Casanova. She came to our school last year and spoke. She is an excellent author and the books are so neat. They are actually based on her home town, where the dogs can really roam free w/o leashes unless they get their mugshot taken for biting, etc. The stories are adorable and the main characters are her own two dogs. These are a pretty easy read for 4th graders, more 3rd grade level chapter books.
CCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Robert J. Blake
Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Robert J. Blake has written several picture books about dogs. They include:
Akiak: A Tale from the Iditarod
Dog
Togo
Swift

I don't know when the Iditarod begins, but it would be nice to include this in your dog theme unit. There are some really good websites and many activities on line that could help you include this in your study.

Great picture books on this topic are:
The Great Serum Race (Miller)
Storm Run (Riddles)
Kiana's Iditarod (Gill)
Danger: The Dog Yard Cat (Riddles)
Dogteam (Paulsen)
Balto and the Great Race (Kimmel)
Elim: The Determined Athlete (Jackson)
Mush (Siebert)
Storm Run (Riddles)
Where's The Boss? (Harter)

Last edited by ConnieWI; 01-29-2008 at 03:48 PM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote