User Name forgot?
Password

Inspiring Life Long Learning

Quarters or Trimesters?

>

JKB

Quarters or Trimesters?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:14 AM

Traditionally, our school district has operated on four quarters in the school year. However, now consideration is being given to switch to trimesters.

I've been thinking about this issue. With trimesters, we would only have to do report cards 3 times a year, instead of 4. We would have a conference around the first report card and a second conference around the second report card. Then, there would be one more report card at the end of the year.

Also, in our state, we give our State Standardized Tests in the fall. The first part of the school year is reviewing for the tests. We barely get started on the curriculum after the tests, and it is already time to do our first report card on the quarter system. At least with the trimester system, we would be 3 weeks deeper into the curriculum and have more information about how the students are performing with grade level instruction.

On the otherhand, a teacher friend of mine works in a district where they are already on trimesters. She said one drawback is that the first report card and conference falls after Thanksgiving, when the holiday frenzy is revving up.

Does anyone else have any insight.....pros or cons about trimesters vs. quarters? I'd love to hear your ideas!

Thanks!

JKB
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote
dee

We're on trimesters.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:20 AM

Our parent conferences used to be the week the report cards came out. Seemed too late. I asked to do my conferences about mid-term and several teachers have followed, and now the school will do them mid-term. This gives the parents a better idea early-on of what's going on, plus (for me) it made me initiate formal contact with parents earlier.

Our school only has one conference. But, the upper elementary teachers continue to conference with the parents of students who continue to do poorly.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Ilvtching

trimesters
Old 01-27-2008, 05:14 AM

We are going to trimesters next year. We are doing three report cards and three conferences. But they are never together...So it will be conference mid 1st trimester, then report card. Conference mid 2nd trimester, then report card. Same with the last trimester. We will only see each child's parents twice for conferences. We will see all the parents the first time and then divide our class (how we see fit) and then see the rest at the last conference.

It is a mess in our district as the last two years we have NOT had a common schedule with the highschool or middle school. Elementary, MS and HS all have DIFFERENT schedules...you can imagine that parents with kids at different levels are REALLY TICKED! So we are working on a common schedule...at least we are having input...so that works for me!

For first grade, I think I will like it more. It gives the kids more time to show some growth. Our second marking period seemed so short (it had Christmas and the whole month of Dec. with firsties is pretty much a total loss) and their reports looked just about the same as the first time around. Maybe with Trimesters it will give them some time to grow and the report card would reflect that.

Good luck...keep us posted!

Amu
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote
Suzanne

Trimesters
Old 01-27-2008, 06:46 AM

Hi there!

I never gave trimesters much thought, but now that you brought it up, I think it would be a great idea.

I would, though, prefer to give the report card out at a parent conference instead of stretching the two out. At my brother's school the teachers have a parent conference one week, and then about two weeks later send home report cards. This seems like far too much work. Also, I like to actually discuss the report card with the parents, and I would really need to have it in front of me. I'm not great at speaking "off the cuff," so I like writing narratives so that I can express myself more clearly and accurately.

It's report card season for me. I really should be working on them right now, in fact! .
Suzanne
Suzanne is online now   Reply With Quote
pmpkin

We're doing trimesters
Old 01-27-2008, 05:40 PM

We switched to trimesters last year and I was skeptical at first but now I love it. It makes a lot more sense considering the first quarter is basically review. It is much better to do report cards three times a year vs. 4.
pmpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
AGT

trimesters are a teachers excuse
Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 PM

Trimesters benefit only the teachers. It's less work for the educators. The kids/families are cheated out of valuable information regarding progress.
mjk59

trimesters are a teachers excuse
Old 05-23-2008, 06:23 PM

You must be an elementary school teacher! Your comments show you couldn't function without the teachers manual. What was your grade in calculus?
JKB

Interesting responses...
Old 05-31-2008, 04:37 PM

AGT-the primary reason why our district is considering trimesters is because our state has so many demands on the number of credits that students must earn in order to graduate from high school. The district isn't thinking about whether or not it would be more or less work on teachers. Instead, consideration is being given for our students.

Furthermore, in my situation, I send home WEEKLY progress reports for all my children, and that will not change either way. So, for me and my teaching style, I will not be doing any less work.

mjk59-Yes, I am an elementary teacher and I am very proud of it, too! I'm not certain how you assessed my comments to lead you to assume that I couldn't function without a teaching manual. The reality is...my instruction is based on our State's Grade Level Content Expectations. Much of the material that I teach is not in any of my teaching manuals and I have created several units to meet the needs of my children.

As if it really matters....I had 3 Calculus classes when I worked on my Bachelor's Degree, because I majored in Math. In all three classes, I earned an A. However, I do not teach Calculus to my third graders, so while my grades benefited me, they weren't classes that prepared me for third grade content.

Hope my responses to the two of you are enlightening for you both.

JKB
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

>
        Inspiring Life Long Learning

Not signed up? See the great features you're missing
Did you know? ProTeacher is a FREE service

Problems?   ProTeacher Help | Town Hall