How is your 4th grade classroom set up? - ProTeacher Community

new...

new...

How is your 4th grade classroom set up?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How you have students seated, do you have a library? What should you have???? Thanks.

Sprink

4th grade classroom set up
Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We moved into a new building this year. Yea! I have tried several arrangements, but finally grouped the desks in groups of 4. That works for most students, but there are always a few that need more space between them and the next kid. I leave an open space in the middle so that the whole group can sit there on the floor.

I feel that a classroom library is a must! E Bay knows me quite well. It's a great source for stocking your bookshelves cheaply. I have the books in one corner with a couple of beanbag chairs. I also have and love a former greeting card shelf unit. It's wonderful for displaying books you want to feature, and it has great storage below.
Sprink is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

4th grade
Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a small room with 14 students. I usually have the desks in groups of 3 to 5, depending on the make up of my class. We do a lot of group work, and it also makes more space in my room. My desks are very OLD! They have the attached seats and everything. I'm looking forward to next year when I get new desks!

A class library is a must. I have found that the more books you have the better. I have only taught for four years, but I have found that each class seems to have different interests so a variety is essential. I am constantly working on building my library. I have about 1,500 books by now. The kids get so excited when I put in new titles. They actually cheer! How fun is that? I also go to Ebay and book orders are a great way to get books cheap and for free. Also, check out thrift stores. I have gotten 17 books for a dollar before. A word to the wise, though. Kids do not like to check out old-looking books, even if they are the best books in the world. They like the new, shiny ones.

Bulletin boards are also a great way to teach. Unfortunately for my class, I lost most of my bbs this year. The fire marshal deemed them a hazard. They were taken down and I get to look at lovely glass block windows (which nothing sticks to) and windows that were painted and have paint missing! In other words, my classroom is ugly this year. I'm supposed to have new flame retardant boards next year. I used my bbs to display kids' work and for teaching concepts. I miss those boards! If you want, I could post some pics sometime soon. Let me know!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a 3/4 class and I have tables. Kids sit 4 to a table (and one with 5.) I have a library, and it has pillows for added coziness. I have two distinct areas, which I have found works really well. I have one area, with the tables which face the board (for that kind of instruction) and another half of the room dedicated to floor space, meetings, and floor work. I had some masonite cut at Lowes and they use that for floor boards. The kids can use the boards and work on the floor. They are about 2 x 3 feet.

Also, if you can find an extra table, I think it's good for laying out science materials, moving kids who need a separate work place, drying art materials, etc.

On the walls, 90% of the space is for the kids' work. We also have some space for specific posters about things we reference often and a word wall. My word wall is high frequency words, but I write them on 1/4 slices of index cards, so it's pretty small. I do this because my class is inclusion and two grade levels, so it's important for those words to be up. (Not words like the, but words I see they do misspell.)

My desk is in the far corner and I only sit at it first thing in the morning when they are doing attendance or I need to access the computer.

You can see pictures (no kids work, as this was summer) at this site:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560558124RVtTuC
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Terresa

Terresa

Wow
Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I looked at your pictures, they are great and I got so many excellent ideas. I have just graduated from teachers college and have moved from a relativly large area in ontario canada to a very northern village in saskatchewan. I will be teaching grade 4.

Your pictures were great. I love what you did with the writing process. AWESOME!

Thanks,

Terresa

TuesdayBear

Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I currently have my students in groups of 4 or 6. I have tried all different types, though. A lot of it depends on the class. My class last year did not get along with each other very well, and I had to keep them as separated as possible. And some classes just talk too much for groups. I prefer groups, and it seems as though it's working so far with this new bunch of kids.

I do have a classroom library. I also have what I call the "Reading Room," which is an area blocked off from the rest of the class by cabinets. It has cushions and a big, high-backed, comfy stool.
TuesdayBear is offline   Reply With Quote

daisychain

pictures are worth ...
Old 06-17-2010, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks so much for posting the pictures of your classroom. I'm going to be teaching grade 4 in the fall and your pics gave me ideas and reminded me of things I need to organize that I might not have thought of until I was in the midst.
daisychain is offline   Reply With Quote

Pebble1234

To Kermit
Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Your classroom is awsome. I am moving from 2nd grade to 4th grade science and social studies and I like the way your room is neat and organized. I was wondering if you could help me set up my room with the way you have your science and social studies areas set up.
Your room is very inviting. Would it be possbile to get a list of the items that you include in your science and social studies areas? This would help me out so much. I went to the good-times webshots that are posted and looked at your pictures.
Thank you
Pebble1234 is offline   Reply With Quote