I want to quit student teaching - ProTeacher Community

ilo

ilo

I want to quit student teaching
Old 01-31-2008, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really am at the point where I want to quit student teaching. My co-op is giving me no guidance at all. I am not asking for a hand hold but at least something besides, "I think we are doing the Middle East tomarrow but in a vague way." What does that mean? If I would have known that all I had to do was look through each chapter and make a lesson word for word , then I would have started teaching and just waited until I got my ed classes instead of going through the ST experience. All I am told is read the book and copy for a lesson. There is no lesson planning between us, never has been, I have to ask daily more than once what we are doing regarding the material, I am not given any quizzes or anything before hand to look over before they are given to the students. I have tried to help the students with questions and then a second later he ( co-op) jumps in and takes over. The students only look at me as the guy in the corner who collects our papers and cleans up after us. My credibility with them is gone and they wont even answer me when I go over to them when they raise their hands. My co-op refuses to give up any control for me to take over the classes. I would have teached more than 3 classes in 5 weeks but I am not going to beg. I am so dissapointed that I am ready to just quit.
Please do not tell me to impress and its me who is not ready to take over etc. Because there is not much more I can do.

Luv2TeachK-6

Old 01-31-2008, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think there is a magical solution that is going to make your CT change. If he hasn't had any or many STs, he may not know how to hand over control of his class. My student teaching (in hindsight, mind you) was great, but I often felt the same way you do. My CT did not give me as many suggestions as I thought a CT would. I didn't complain to anyone and I just sucked it up for that semester. I did the best I could. I ended up enjoying it more once I started doing things they way I wanted to and taking the steps to experiencing the things I wanted to experience. Sounds egotistical, but I did it in a way that would not hurt the relationship between me and my CT.

One thing that I did was add whatever I could to the lessons. I brought in extra "things" to enhance the lessons-sometimes without my CT knowing. Make it your own as much as you can. Can you talk to your University Supervisor? Another teacher that you may have befriended? Someone else in the school that can let you in on what is going on?

My opinion is that a teacher should really think about taking on a student teacher. If they don't think that they can be a good role model or handle the ST if he/she seems less than perfect in their eyes, they should just forgo having a ST. Maybe they think they can, but the situation turns out to be challenging. I have met many fantastic teachers that should have ST to pass their knowledge on to and they don't. I blame the universities more because it seems that they are not preparing their students to student teach!
Luv2TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

OZZY

Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't give up-I had a terrible placement and did go to my univ advisor and told her my situation. Anyway, to make a long story short, I removed myself and the univ gave me a different placement which I absolutely loved.
OZZY is offline   Reply With Quote

Polly J.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can you ask your university mentor to be reassigned to a different CT?
Polly J. is offline   Reply With Quote

mentorteach

Old 02-01-2008, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Even though you haven't taught very much in the class, what if you looked up on your own the standards for this quarter and prepared a phenomenal lesson. After, you can approach the CT and tell him about it, that you need to do it for your observation. He's got to give up control at that point.

mentorteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mshunny

Don't Give Up
Old 02-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't give up. If teaching is your passion, this is only the first of many hurdles you will have during your teaching career. It sounds like you really care about learning to be a good teacher. Don't let an idiot teacher change your mind about teaching.

I had two horrible teachers when I did my student teacher. One never helped me do anything. I pretty much had to do everything on my own, with no help. Then I had a kindergarten placement with a co-operating teacher who was getting ready to retire. I was in her room at the end of the school year. These five year olds had no rules and could do what they wanted. The teacher didn't care because she was retiring, she just wanted an easy year. My supervisor came to observe me and was shocked at the students' behavior. The next week she had me placed in a different district. I spent the last three weeks of my student teaching with a wonderful teacher and class.

I spent 3 years subbing. This is my 3rd year as a full time teacher. Student teaching is nothing like being a real teacher. I love what I am doing and wouldn't trade it for any other job.

I would talk to your supervisor. They can be a great help. Plus if your supervisor doesn't know what is going on...things might never change. Just stick with it, but get help from your supervisor. Have faith in yourself and know that you will still become a great teacher because you are learning what not to do.
mshunny is offline   Reply With Quote

alicej

I agree
Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Don't Give up. My first student teaching assignment was horrible. He even had the audacity to interupt my lesson when I was being observed and took over. I had no say so what so ever. I felt I had no way out, because the assignment was at the school where my own daughter went and I knew all the teachers. My second assignment was great!! If you want to teach, just remember, this is not your class, this is not your class. Good luck
alicej is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

sometimes the best experience in ST
Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

is the bad one.
I worked with 2 CT. The first was awful. She was everything I will never ever be and she is a constant reminder of that.
The second was awesome! So, in about the 2nd week of my 2nd 8 week placement I got so incredibly ill that I missed out on my whole time with her because I was hospitalized. I still learned a lot.
She was so awesome that she called me and even visited me!
Some people are just plain awful. There are awful teachers, doctors, lawyers, janitors, priests.....
you just be the best YOU can be!
mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote
ilo

ilo

Thanks everyone
Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for giving me advice I appreciate it.

I called my Supervisor today and explained the situation and she told me that he has power issues and does not want to give up control. She said just do what I need to and get through it. She also spoke to him, and of course he was the opposire of how he is with me, and told him the days I would be teaching and the classes I would be taking etc. He still has the same issues as before but now he is just snippy and distant. And now he is getting weird because we agreed that I would teach 2 of his 3 grades and when my time is up he jumps right in without a pause. I am just counting the weeks and praying that it goes fast. I wanted a transfer but with the amount of time left, I was worried about finishing on time etc. Oh well, I just want to get done and out of there.

Thanks again.