Starting own preschool - ProTeacher Community

Help Tracy

Help Tracy

Starting own preschool
Old 03-31-2006, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some advice on starting my own preschool. I have been a Elem. teacher for 3 years and am looking to own my own business. I need to know how you schedule classes (times) and how many students are in a class. Would you reccomend this as a profession? How does it compare with a teacher's salary? HOw many days a week are you open? I am trying to decide if I should do this and how so any information would be helpful!

Rose V

Rose V

Be prepared for a lot of work
Old 04-03-2006, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, go to your state and find out what is needed in the way of a license, etc. Also, you need to think about the expense of insurance, materials, building space, teacher salary and benefits. When you are in business for yourself, you may find that you are always working. Then there is the problem of finding qualified people to work with you. Good Luck!

Ms. Heather

Ms. Heather

Old 04-12-2006, 10:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Rose V. you are right, it's hard to find dedicated daycare teachers. I am a pre-k teacher at a daycare. My boss is having a hard time finding good help. Teacher turn over rate is not good because of it. There's a lot to think about before opening a preschool.

Amberly

Amberly

keelerboysmom
Old 05-01-2006, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Tracy,

I am also looking at starting my own preschool and have talked to a few people about it in my area. I have decided to do a Tuesday/Thursday class from 9-11:30 and a Monday/Wednesday class from 9-11:30. I will be accepting 12 students per class and having a parent helper everyday. I am charging $65 a month per child. At this rate, I will gross a little over $1500 a month. So, if you wanted to do afternoon classes also, you could gross over $3000 a month....very comparable to a teacher's salary! Good Luck!

MG

MG

director looking for qualified teachers
Old 06-24-2006, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am a pre school director and for the umpteenth time I have placed an ad in the paper for staff. When I interview teachers they sound great but after I hire them all different kind of problems start. Can anyone help me by giving me some clues in questioning the applicants.

shelly

shelly

hiring in day care
Old 07-29-2006, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You should always have your applicants teach a 45 minute combination of small lessons to the class. Observe their performance and skills. Also have other teachers working there help in the hiring process. Call their references and dscuss their personality and what kind of worker they are. Also day cares have a high turn over rate because most day cares hire young inexperienced college students who they pay little, so these teachers end up leaving for a higher paying position. I have a preschool business and I started 6 years ago and I still have the same teachers working for me. I did an extensive background check too.

Mindy

Mindy

Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When Hiring staff you should always look for some education and childcare experience. I find that the reason turn-over is so bad all has to do with money. If your staff is worth keeping .......pay to keep them!

sandra s

sandra s

opening own pre-school
Old 09-13-2006, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That is funny I too am a elementary school teacher and have been thinking for years about doing the same. I have been teaching for 9 years and make great money. Is the money compairable? I know hiring good staff will be tough. What do you suggest?

sandra m

sandra m

how to get started
Old 10-15-2006, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

i am interested in opening a preschool and i would like to know how i would begin the process. i work at a daycare and three of my co-workers decided we would like to give this a try but we don't know where to begin.

Marilisa

Marilisa

Old 10-18-2006, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow, your $65 monthly tuition rate seems very inexpensive. What state do you reside in? How would you be able to afford to pay rent, assiatnts, modifications, advertising, maitenance, etc. I know you say you will have a parent volenteer, but is that person a certified assistant? She should be a qualified assitant. i know in New York all assistants have to be qualified. Who would help you when she is sick or can not come in? It is just a suggestion but, you are going to find that you will need more assitants. You will have to pay their salary, offer health insurence, taxes, etc. There is a lot of liability and you need to get excellent insurence.

I reside in New York and have my own preschool business. I charge $180 per month and that is considered a competative rate for just a 2 day per week program. I have 2 day and 3 day and 5 day programs and both morning and afternoon classes and full day kindergarten, and Saturday morning mom and me classes and I also do birthday parties. I have mom and me infant classes and toddler classes, 2 year old exploreation classes, 3 year old preschool play and learn classes, and 4 year old pre k classes and a full day kindergarten class with district busing for the kindergarten. i taught elementary school for 12 years and decided after having children to open up my own preschool. This is going on my 7th year and it is very successful. I teach the kindergarten class and the Saturday morning mommy and me classes and I do all the business records, etc. I have many prorams and hired four teachers who i rotate around year to yaer in each age apprprpriate class. I also hired a music teacher and a spanish/computer teacher. They come once a week for each class.
I beleive in hiring teachers that have a B.A. and or master degrees. The assiatnts must be cpr and first aid certified as well as have at least two years of college in the early childhood field. I also like to hire teachers that have had experience teaching for at least 5 years. I do not hire college students or just parents without any educational background. I feel that is important and parents look for the most qualified teachers in any school especially if they are paying for it. I also have 4 assistats. All of my teachers and 3 of the assiatnts have been with me since I started my business. The other assiatnt had triplets so she could not work for me so i hired a friend who is qualified and she is marvelous with the children. I do have college interns that do their practicums at my school and they do not get paid. They are here to implement lessons along with the teachers. I beleive my school is a success because I have had experienced and educated teachers and assistants, a creative curriculum, and a huge beautiful and innovative school unlike any I have seen in my area. It is a a lot of work, but worth it. I am not going to share my exact salary after paying my employees and other expensives, however, I can tell you I myself make well over 120 thousand after paying everyone and everything so it definately is worth it. When I was teaching public school I made $60 thousand in my 12th year. So I do make more than a public school teacher does. I also operate my school based on our school district calendar so we all have the school days off. We are open in the summer for summer classes and camp classes but I work half days and my teachers teach the other classes. I have all the teachers and assistants renew their cpr every 2 years and I also have them participate in teaching workshops. i feel that is important. I love having my own business and it is great to have my kids with me there. My daughter is attends public school and I am home for her before she gets off the school bus. It is great to be able to juggle it all. My husband is an engineer for the Key span Corp and he makes a great salary so we do fine for ourselves. I have the business not so much for the money. I love teaching and I am very passionate about my work. I love having my own business and having things my way and being able to make the decisions as to what i teach. I enjoy watching the children grow from year to year. I have spent after hours at the preschool doing paper work, phto copies, etc so I do put in a lot of time into the business. The state inspectors come in without prior notice and they observe and look for violations. I have not had any violations. I recieved two teaching awards throughout my career and a NAEYC certificate because I have a high quality school. I take pride in my school. Good luck in your endeavors.

Sue Long

Sue Long

Private School Assistant Director
Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The most valuable screening that you can do is assigning your candidate to teach a sample lesson. It should be a 30-45 minute session. They should furnish you with a prepared lesson plan in advance so that you understand if objectives are being met. You can learn a lot about teaching styles, chemistry with your students, and ability.

Misschristine

Misschristine

Old 11-10-2006, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi. I live in NY as well and am interested in opening a preschool- but don't even know where to begin or who to talk to. I am a certified elementary teacher prek-6 and have been teaching for 5 years. I have a BA in psychology and a MAT. I know that I will probably have to start small, since I am alone in this plan. Please give me some guidance! How did you start up? What do I need to do to get this whole things rolling? There is a huge demand for a decent preschool. Please help.

Mrs. E

Mrs. E

Old 11-14-2006, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In order to run an exceptional preschool in New York, basically you need a lot of money or you need to apply for a loan because opening a preschool is expensive between the rent, utilities, advertising, video camera in all classrooms, sheves, commercial furniture, alarm system, remodeling, fees for licenses, safety equipment, playground apparatus, furniture, toys, materials, etc. and hiring and paying employees such as teachers and assitants. You need computers. That is a must. You need to find a great location and a huge space condusive for a lot of children and different rooms. You have to pay employees legitmately on the books and not off because you can get into serious trouble. You need to get business and liabilty insurence which is a few thousand a year. You have to consider health insurence for employees and 401 k etc. You need to hire a book keeper if you have no business management skills. I highly reccomend taking business classes and hiring a great accountant. You need to have exceptional record keeping. You need to find a place to remodel and get certificates and licenses. It can take a few years to get established. New York is very competative in this field. You need to run your school in a creative manner and not copy cat someone elses.

My school is unique and innovative and it is very exceptional in the appearence, teachers, and in the curriculum. I developed a 200 page handbook that I typed up about eveything about my school, credentials, philosophy, curriculum, themes, regulations, policies, schedules, classes, events, etc. Each parent who enrolls their child recieves this book, a back pack and snack bag with our school logo. We offer parent workshops and events like Christmas parties and Easter parties, etc. We have a graduation with commercial costumes and a music teacher. So an exceptional school requires all of this.

Most preschools I have seen are in some rinky dink old store front that has so little to offer, not enough space, toys, etc. I usually see the same old copy cat stuff with old filthy toys, missing puzzle pieces, etc.

I hold my employees accountable for their classrooms and all the materials I have purchased. If anything is lost or missing, it comes out of their pay check. So my teachers are exceptional in making sure the classrooms are kept clean and organized. I have video cams in each classroom and things are monitored. I think every school must have that..

Barb Kor

Barb Kor

preschool teacher
Old 12-03-2006, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hi, I am a preschool teacher presently, but in the past have held position in hiring workers and have learned from my own past mistakes. First of all make sure you give plenty of time for your interview. Ask for a curriculum example; next have them do a working interview-this is when you take them into the class room and watch how they interact with the children. Find out if they have children of their own and if so do they have a back up plan if their child gets sick. What are their ideas of disciple and how do they differ from your center/classroom. What are their ideas of parent-involvment, would they feel relaxed enough to work with a parent in the room once a week or twice a month. And if they worked in child care/preschool how was their teacher-parent relationship. I feel the teacher-parent is very important because if the child sees how well his parents and her teacher get along it makes for an easier transition for the child. Well I hope some of my ideas will help you, good luck.

Shellie

Shellie

Old 12-10-2006, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Marilisa,
Your post sounds very impressive! What points do you have to offer to someone who is just beginning to look at the idea? My original thought was to start from my home and possibly building into a separate building, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Emily R

Emily R

Big Dream
Old 12-29-2006, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I Just graduated High School In May 2006,
I was going to major in Elementary Ed. but changed to Human Development with an emphasis on Child Development in hopes of one day opening my own pre school. Can I do this with a Human Development degree?? What other degree's are out there that would allow me to do this? Any examples?

Kristy M

Kristy M

Old 01-12-2007, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am also from NY and am looking into staring a preschool. Where do you suggest I begin? Websites?? I am also concerned about salary. I make around 50 thousand now as a K teacher. Could a 2 and 3 day (am and pm) program give a comparable salary?

Jo-anne

Jo-anne

Old 01-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Kristy,

I am a preschool owner/teacher in New York (LOng Island) to be exact. I operate my business based on am and pm sessions, 2 or 3 day classes for segregated classes ages accordingly: 2, 3 and 4 year olds classes. I have qualified parent assitants who volenteer in the classrooms, and I hired two qualified teachers.

I teach a class in the morning and afternoon as well as do all the neccessary business accounting, etc.

I generally net $150-175 thousand a year depending on enrollment. I am open from 9 am til 3 pm Monday through Friday. I pay one of the teachers $10 per hour because she is in her third year of teaching for me and just stating out. Her son also is in one of my classes and basically comes for free. The other teacher is a parent volenteer teacher who is doing her intern at my school and she has a set of twins at my school as well. Her job is in exchange for preschool for her kids too. I am not required to pay an intern as most schools do not pay for that. My rule of thumb for hiring is salary is dependant upon experience. None of the preschools pay that well because these preschool in general needs to profit. I have huge liability insurance, rent, materials, equipment, other bills and utility bills plus paying taxes on ther money earned inclduing hiring future teachers.

I am open all year long consisting of half day sessions as i refer to as summer camp, and I also offer mommy and me classes.

I work very hard and I do make a bigger salary than when I was teaching public school. I also put in more time in my business. Having a business is a huge responsiblity. I basically have to work even if I am sick. My school is expanding. I am adding more rooms and by next Summer I will be hiring two teachers. Of course tuition does increase when you hire teachers.

Shantilly

Shantilly

Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

In order to get started you need to do your own research. Because this business is very competative, people tend to let those interested in opening up a school spend the hours searching and working to find the info out for themselves. That is part of the business. I can tell You, you will be working with your state, town, county, department of health, OFC, etc. to name just a few certificates you will need to obtain. Licenses are very hard to recieve now a days. Again these agencies are going to make the requiremnets tough. A fire marshall and inspector will make unnounced visits. You'll see! They will make it very hard for you. Be prepared to spend your life savings if you have one otherwise good luck getting a loan before you even begin the process. I spent over 70 grand just to find a place and then all I got was aggravation.

It takes years to get a school operating unless it is a small rinky dink scale operation that makes so little profit.

I tried for 4 years to open up my school and it was so difficult that I ended up selling what i had purchased and I gave up. I was jerked around so much..So now I teach preschool in a tutor time on Long Island where I make $8.75 per hour and not paid holidays or sick time. I have been there for almost 2 years now and so far not a raise.

cassandra p.

cassandra p.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

i as well. i am a highschool junior and am wondering what majors i should well major in that will help me in opening a preschool. business euntrepenuership and early childhood education/child care all at once? does that sound good? im very new to this whole career thing and do i need to have experience as a teacher or just starting off my business would be fine as well?

Hellen

Hellen

Kindergarten teacher looking to start my plan
Old 02-10-2007, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Hello,

I love what you wrote because it reminds me of how passionate and motivated I am. I have been teaching Kindergarten for two years now, but I have been in schools for almost 10 years. I love children and my dream is to open up a school just like yours. I have my masters in both early and elementary. I will also be director of a daycamp this summer. I really would like so more advice from you. Please email me hellen0814@yahoo. I need to know my first steps and have you basically walk me through the process. My fiance, my parents, his parents, friends, family, and co-workers think I am suitable to do such a thing.

I have the passion now I need the direction.
Thank you,
Hellen

Hellen

Hellen

That message was for Marissa
Old 02-10-2007, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Marissa,

I'm sorry I forgot to address the message to you. The previous message was geared towards you. Thank you again.
Hellen

Jo-anne

Jo-anne

Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thanks for your input Jo-anne. I am in the process of collecting information right now. What, would you say, are the start-up costs? Licences, etc. I am sure it will be quite different as I am in upstate NY (Albany area) Do you receive any funding from NYS?

Kristy M

Kristy M

Old 02-12-2007, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

That last message was for Jo-anne, from Kristy in ALbany.

Hellen

Hellen

Responding to Cassandra
Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Cassandra,
I like your motivation. However, you absolutely need experience!! Start as a substitute, then paraprofessional, and then get a teaching position. You need experience. Once you get that then you could think of how, what, where, etc. Good luck,
Hellen

Kara Lee

Kara Lee

Albany Preschool
Old 02-22-2007, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Jo Anne and Kristy

Hello! I am a preschool director in NY and I am intersted in starting up a high quality program in the Albany area. I would love to chat..my email is thegrowingtree@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon.

Kara

Sandy-Vee

Sandy-Vee

Old 02-24-2007, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Hi Tracy -

I am also in the same boat as you. I am looking into openin my own preschool out of my home. You need to contact your county and state governments and find out about licensing, fire inspections, insurance, and accredidation (sp?). I plan on only having morning classes from 9-12, M-F with 6 to 8 students at the most on any particular day. I will offer 2-day, 3-day, & 5-day options. and I will have an assistant with me. I live in Bethesda, Maryland and my friend who already has her own preschool out of her home charges $3750 - $9300/year depending on how many days the child comes per week. That is on the high end, but most preschools around the DC area do charge that much! so you could definitely make as much or more than you were making as a teacher.

I don't plan on doing this for another year or so, but wanted to start researching about the whole process. if there is any additional information that I would need, please let me know!

Thanks and good luck to the others who are doing the same thing!

gina1

Tshh
Old 05-18-2007, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

hi there!

i just discovered this website and read your reponse about your successful school business. i am very interested in the exact step by step procedure to start one's own preschool. i am a speech-language pathologist and a teacher of the speech and hearing handicapped. however, i am interested in using my skills in creating a pre-school for typically developing children. and i do not know how to begin. would you be interested in walking me through the process? do you need to follow a ny state curriculum when working with preschoolers or just starting at kindergarten age? do you own the space your school functions out of or do you rent? how did you determine how much you pay your teachers, assistants etc... what are the necessary credentials one needs to start a pre-school? do you recommend having a partner to share responsibilities but also profits, or would it leave no profit? i really look forward to your response! i have 3 children 12, 9 and 2! talk soon, gina
PrSch Mentor

PrSch Mentor

Starting a Preschool
Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

How is your new preschool venture going? If you have any specific questions, feel free to post here to me. Also, there is a good volunteer ECE page at allexperts.com that is very useful to ask questions. I have started several schools and like to help others.

Best,
Pam

hescollin

Old 05-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

http://www.first-school.ws/ You will get lots of ideas and activities on this site.
shawnkyrmom

shawnkyrmom

Old 06-24-2007, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Hey guys I just happened upon your website here and feel fully excited. Totally interested just like the rest of you, in opening a preschool. I have eleven years experience with preschoolers, worked in an academic preschool and then helped open up a daycare for my friend (I was her coordinator) Very interested in step by step too. Alot of it I do know since I was a major part in my friends daycare. I know it all falls into place eventually with hard work and dedication. I also know the first two years are the hardest since you are ironing out all the kinks but once there is a flow and you have some good employees you can trust and delegate to it can be a beautiful thing Preschool is such a magical place It takes me back to being a child. I so badly want to start the ball rolling. I have a almost 16 year old daughter and a 3 year old son and a VERY supportive husband and we are all ready for the commitment. To me it is so much fun even putting together a business If marrissa could email me back I would sooooooooo appreciate it Thanks Have a couple questions.. CAH3571@yahoo.com Have a kiddie kind of day....

linndsay

linndsay

Reply to barb kor
Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

You can not legally ask potential employees if they have children. Just like you can't legally ask them their age, religion, sexual preference or ethnic origin. Hope you have a good lawyer.

KLO

KLO

Marilisa
Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Marilisa I read your post and am so inspired. I was a 2nd grade and Kindergarten teacher before I had children and am not looking into starting up a preschool.

Your post was from so long ago so I don't know if you will get this but if you do, can you please email me at khshill@comcast.net?

THANK YOU!

jmw2076

jmw2076

Looking to start a pre-school...
Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Hello Pam~

I saw your post and thought I would ask for your opinion. I live in central Pennsylvania and want to open my own pre-school. I have taught in several pre-schools and I have been a nanny for many years for which I have home schooled pre-school age children. I want to begin small. Maybe only having children aged 18 months to 4 years, and only part-time to build a strong base. Where do I start looking into the necessary items needed to begin a school. I already know that I would rent vs. buy at first. I don't want to take on infants at first due to the 1:4 ratio. I want to stay small so that I do not have to hire many people in the beginning. I have a few people that would work with me and get the business started.

Please offer any advice you may have and what strategies work better than others.

Thank you~
~Jenna

sirzie

sirzie

opening up a preschool
Old 09-13-2007, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I am looking into opening my own preschool in Pennsylvania. I am wondering could anyone help me get started what do I do first??? thanks!

Doey

Doey

teacher shortage is a very real problem
Old 09-15-2007, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I also work at a preschool, and we are trying to find 2 teachers. We put an ad in craigslist.com, and we did have lots of interested applicants. Here in Hawaii, you need to be qualified...meaning babysitting jobs just won't do alone.
So.. I don't know of any sure way to find teachers to stay..except to give them good pay...like $1 more than the going rate of preschool teachers.

MrsRachTurner

MrsRachTurner

Very Impressive...would love to know more
Old 11-01-2007, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Very impressive business story. I would love to know more.
Sounds to me like you should consider franchising!

Congratulations on such a successful school

mummala

We would like to open a preschool.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

My friend and I are currently going to school at FAU. We are interested in opening a preschool. We have gone to our states website and have read the manual for all that is necessary in opening a school but would like advice from someone that has actually gone through the whole process. We were considering getting an associates degree in business and either something with early childhood or getting our CDA's. Any advice/suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
JL03

JL03

Marilisa I need your help!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Marilisa first I would like to say congrats on being so successful in all that you do! I am very interested in starting my own preschool just like everyone else...I am thinking of a smaller version because I am living in a smaller town/area. I have specific questions regarding where to start with insurance companies? If you are interested in helping me and answering some questions I would greatly appreciate it. I am willing to give you an email address if that is easier. Thank you and I look foward to talking with you.

marlo

marlo

teaching for years
Old 01-24-2008, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Hi Pam,

I would love if you would help me in anyway to open a preschool. We do have 1 other little preschool that has a waiting list, so I know the need for another is there. I don't know where to start or where to go to find the answers. A fellow teacher and I are looking into opening a preschool together. What are the estimated start up cost? We have a silent partner who is interested in helping us but I don't even know what to tell him the cost would be?? Any help or advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
marlo

Mikaela S

Mikaela S

kindergarten teacher
Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I like the way your preschool sounds. I am in my 6th year of teaching kindergarten and am considering the idea of starting my own preschool or Early Learning Center. Is your preschool a daycare as well? or just preschool? I am wanting to work for myself and have many colleagues looking to get out of the public school system, but still want to educate children. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Teachrneen

Teachrneen

Wow
Old 02-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

what part of NY do you live in? I am part of an admin team in NYC and there is such a need for quality preschools. I am seriously considering starting my own. I have a few good people who would come with me and am heartened to hear yours is successful. I am not afraid of hard work--actually I hate being idle.

sachi

sachi

Help - you sound great!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

So where did it all start? I'd like to dream big and head in that direction. I have been in education for 15 years and am currently a school administrator. How did you start it all?

newdir

newdir

Preschool director
Old 05-06-2008, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Wow! How did you learn to do everything so wonderfully? I am considering taking a position as a pre-school director at a brand new school - I would have say in everything. I've been teaching elementary and middle school for 10 years, the money and the growth just gets slower and slower.

Do you know of any reference materials that I may get to teach me the position?