Photosynthesis HELP - ProTeacher Community

TeAcHiNSpEd

Photosynthesis HELP
Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a middle school LD teacher teaching photosynthesis for the first time. I really need some resources to simplify the topics and help modifying the regular curriculum. A website, tips, books, etc would be wonderful!

TeAcHiNSpEd is offline   Reply With Quote

jsfowler

photosynthesis
Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, I would look for a video to watch (Bill Nye has a good one). When I teach photosynthesis, I use a powerpoint and break everything down into managable pieces. I use a chemical equation:

water and carbon dioxide in the presence of chlorphill and sunlight yields oxygen and glucose

I always teach photosynthesis and respiration together so we can discuss how they are opposite processes. We discuss the carbon dioxide/oxygen cycle and draw diagrams.

My advice for teaching this concept is to use hands-on materials (look at a plant cell under a microscope and identify chloraplasts, observe what happens when a requirement of photosynthesis is deprived, etc.), Bill Nye video, and diagrams (chemical equations, CO2/O2 cycle, venn diagram, etc,) I think the students understand it better when you include respiration as an opposite process.
jsfowler is offline   Reply With Quote

TeAcHiNSpEd

Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So much help, thanks. We did Carbon-Oxygen and that went well. We just introduced Photosynthesis today, it was really difficult. This will help. Thanks!
TeAcHiNSpEd is offline   Reply With Quote