Giving Valentine cards to students?? - ProTeacher Community

simpsongirl

Giving Valentine cards to students??
Old 02-07-2008, 03:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every year, I struggle with whether or not to give my first graders valentines. Laziness--and thinking that the valentines won't be appreciated by them--is one of my lame reasons for not giving out cards (and perhaps, candy).
What do you do? Do you buy/make valentines for your students? If so, do you give just a card and/or candy? Just wondering...I need some motivation...Thanks!

simpsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'll probably give my K's the same kind they give out. I may also give them a box of colored pencils. They love those.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I do
Old 02-07-2008, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I give Valentines. Last year, after the holiday, I found discounted Valentine party favors like small puzzles and yo-yos at Walmart. I also have some Valentine pencils I picked up at Dollar Tree this past weekend. I know some kids don't appreciate it, but I do have many that do. I think my kids would be disappointed if there was no card from me.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

taximom

I found some
Old 02-07-2008, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

at WalMart one year that were "From the Teacher". I hope to be that lucky again.
taximom is offline   Reply With Quote

apples

i give but...
Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I give my students store purchased Valentines. I never give Valentines that have tv/movie characters on them so sometimes just the ordinary ones can be hard to find.

apples is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4kids

Okay, I admit it - I make mine.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I make a huge gawdy heart-shape from a decoration that I have. I paste a decorative white paper in the middle that says, "Years from now I will remember you as more than a student of mine. I see something special in you that I'll share in this Valentine." I don't know if these are the exact words because my tub is at school. It is typed in a poem format with space at the bottom for me to write.

In the 15 or so years I have done this, there has only been one or two children that I've had to pause to sum up something positive to say. I always make extras in case I flub up and carefully check my list so no one is left out. On years that I have fewer students, I even make a double batch of the Valentines and save them (without the comments of course!) for the next year.

There are kids who many years later tell me theirs is a keepsake. Once a student told me, "Wow! I have one to put in my room like my sister does." Parents appreciate the attention their child gets and I think there is a good chance that at least half are kept. And yes, there will be one in the trash by the end of the party by a child who does not value the work. It is still worth it to me.

I do the project after school as the glitter thing is so messy and I have more open surfaces. Then I arrive early the next day, stack the dried ones and no child ever knows ahead of time!
heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

sucker
Old 02-07-2008, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I take a dum dum sucker and tape a strip of paper on the stick that says. Valentine greetings and my name. It is easy, quick, and simple. I like the colored pencil idea.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

jneg

Dollar Store
Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I always give the boxes of conversation hearts to my third graders. We do a graphing activity and then play a game with them. I also got pencils and suckers for the class I team with at the dollar store. Rather than go through and sign everything, I always print a label and attach it, makes it so much easier.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote

hopealope

Friendly's kids cones
Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I give them the free kid's cone from Friendly's you can get them right now as a fund raiser for Easter Seals. They are 5 for a $1. They come with cute little sayings so they make a good card. So I only spent $4 to get enough for my class and I get them a box of conversation hearts for each kid because we use them to math that day. I also give them a hear shaped cookie that I buy, I usually don't make them.
hopealope is offline   Reply With Quote

SSSlk

Valentines
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I give out a practical Valentine Pencils that they have to keep at school!
SSSlk is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

Absolutely
Old 02-07-2008, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do cards and then little treats like NJteacher mentioned--I buy them 50% off after the holiday and ave them until the next year. They've always been appreciated1
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Friendly's
Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I do the friendly's ice cream cones too. The money goes to Easter Seals and my kids seem to appreciate them.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherLisa1st

Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I usually cut some hearts out of cardstock. Then on each one I write a really short message with the child's name and my name with white crayon. I pass them out before we do all the other exchanges and I don't tell them what it is. I give out watercolors that they share and tell them to decorate their hearts. Well when they start painting my secret message appears! Its so easy and inexpensive and the kids LOVE it. They appreciate it so much more than when I just used to give them regular cards from the store. They really love it A little time consuming, but really not bad. Give it a try! Just make sure they don't paint too much or they'll crinkle up, and give them enough time to dry.
TeacherLisa1st is offline   Reply With Quote

MrChapp

Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I stopped giving the cards because they get such a stack of them, they don't really notice who they get them from. The best "treat" I found was the individual containers of Play-Doh. The kids LOVED it and I was happy not to be contributing to the sugar rush. Actually, I don't remember if that was for Valentine's Day or Halloween....
MrChapp is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

I have
Old 02-07-2008, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

a valentine coupon that I give them for a free no homework day for being sweet. They love that! In fact I think I got it from PT! I also give them a pencil.

This year I read on the third grade PT board about making a poster for a classmate and decorating it. On it they put compliments that everyone has written about them, they decorate during the Valentine party. This way there's not all this candy during Lent, and any money the parents would spend on Valentines and candy they may donate to our school service project. So all of my second grade team are doing this this year. If interested, I can post the letter, and the coupons.
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

Krispy Creme Donuts
Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

when I bought 2 boxes for the 1ooth day of school I got valentines for 1 free donut. How cool is that?
Kym
mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeDeb

Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I had valentines made through Walgreens.com. I put my dogs picture on them and personalized a message. I will also give them a pencil and a valentine eraser I got from dollar tree.
2ndGradeDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

Valentines for students
Old 02-08-2008, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I buy boxes of crayons when they are really cheap in September and save them for Valentines. Every child can use a new fresh box of crayons this time of year. I put a Valentine on each or put them in a Valentine treat bag. Some years I have also given my kids a red pen. They can use it to do their work that day and then can use it for correcting from that day on.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I print them off the Internet.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I've found some fun ones on the Internet, and I print them out and give them to them along with a Valentine pencil.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sheena

FreckleFace
Old 02-09-2008, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'd love to see the poster idea. Thanks for sharing.
Sheena is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Sheena
Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Here's the letter to parents for the poster idea!
Attached Files
File Type: doc valentine poster project letter.doc (24.0 KB, 476 views)

Mrs. O

Ringpops
Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I was just going to give ringpops. I bought a huge box at Wal-Mart the other day, but now I am going to try the secret message Valentines. Thanks for the great ideas.
Mrs. O is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherali

scrapbook idea
Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Our grade level makes little scrapbooks that the students can tape all their cards to. You fold a big piece of construction paper and add about 5 white peices of paper in between. The students then tape all their cards. This is a great thing they can keep over the years.
teacherali is offline   Reply With Quote

crteacher

DJ Inkers
Old 02-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

has a cute digital download for only 1.95 that has 3 color valentine bookmarks, a certificate and a Feb reading log. I use the bookmarks. In Word, I type each child's name and my name and then print them on white cardstock. If I have time, I'll laminate them after I cut them out (on the cutter at school, so that goes fast). I also give my students a valentine pencil and eraser every year.
crteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

simpsongirl

Valentine's motivation
Old 02-09-2008, 11:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your GREAT ideas! Now, which one should I choose?... You all are the best!
simpsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote

patschmidt

Freckleface
Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

i love the poster idea... although it's too late for me this year I am going to save it for the next year... I just have a question. Does everyone write something on everyone's poster?
patschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

patschmidt
Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Here's what I did: I had them all take a piece of lined writing paper and put their names at the top. Then everyone left it on their desk, took their pencil, and moved to the person's desk behind or in front, or whatever you want. When everyone was done writing, then we moved to the next desk. They couldn't write something that anyone else had written, (it still happened once in awhile!). Then we moved again and continued until you were going to move to your own desk next! I gathered the papers, and typed up each person's comment, edited for spelling, etc and duplicate comments, and then printed them and cut them into strips, put them in envelopes. They'll get the envelope for the person whose name they draw. They'll glue the strips on the poster and decorate! Before we started writing we brainstormed possible compliments they could write and I wrote them on the board. So if they got stuck for a comment they could look on the board.

Clear as mud??!

Kinder1

Website for V-day
Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Hello! What is the website that you found for the valentine day cards?
Kinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

crteacher

www.djinkers.com
Old 02-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

you'll find the bookmark valentines here (along with a ton of other cute clipart, graphics and fonts!)
crteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Toni Wiebe

Old 02-14-2008, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

This idea sounds great. As someone else said, it's too late for this year but I certainly plan to borrow your idea for next year. I am also thinking of adapting it to use for a student who will be moving soon. I can have the kiddos write messages to her and then create a poster or booklet for her to remember us.
Side note...Your picture of Freckle Face Strawberry really brought back memories!
Toni Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 02-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Quote:

I buy boxes of crayons when they are really cheap in September and save them for Valentines. Every child can use a new fresh box of crayons this time of year. I put a Valentine on each or put them in a Valentine treat bag. Some years I have also given my kids a red pen. They can use it to do their work that day and then can use it for correcting from that day on.
What a great idea! I am going to have to save that for next year.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Suzelynn

Suzelynn

First Grade Teacher
Old 02-20-2008, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

It is a bit late to help you for this year, but I do give my students Valentine Day cards. I buy business card stock and type in red ink the following:
To:
A sweet treat for you on
Valentine's day.
I hope it's the best in every way!

(then I put in a little heart icon with an arrow through it)
Love, Mrs. Last name

I center everything except the word "To," and print the cards.

Leaving the "side strips" on the cards, I separate them and detach the bottom and top strips. I punch 2 holes about 3/4 inch apart on the side strip that is still attached and slide a lollipop stick (lollipop attached!) through the holes.

The kids love it, and I only have to write their names next to the "To" part. Two sheets will cover 20 kids, so there are plenty of cards left for each year. My daughters also take the same type card to their school Valentine's party, only I type in "Your friend, name," instead of love.

Hope that helps for next year!