Help

ARCHIVE

is this typical?

>

eliza4one

is this typical?
Old 02-09-2008, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am just wondering how 'typical' this is, given a similar situation.

I have a new teammate this year. Brand new teacher. Has required A LOT of assistance in all areas.

We both started out with the same # of students. However, 3 parents have pulled their children from his class (homeschooled/different schools). Meanwhile, 3 new families have arrived, and I have gotten all 3 new students.

On Wednesday, the principal came in, and basically said, "I can't, in good conscience, put this new student in the other class". So, I got another one on Friday.

It is February, and I realize the chances of getting any more new students is slim, but I wonder....will I get every new student that comes along this year? How imbalanced can it get?

I'm not really complaining. I can handle the # of students I have. And I do believe putting this child (foster child, low academically) in my class was a wise choice.

I just wonder how equitable is 'has' to be. Is there some guideline?
Also, I can't help but wonder what will happen next year. Will he be rehired? How rare/common is it for a brand new teacher to NOT be rehired?

Thoughts appreciated. Like I said, I'm honestly not complaining. The new boy is a sweetheart and not quite as low as we thought. My mind just questions things constantly. And, I have to admit, I'm a little concerned for next year.

BlueAngel

eliza
Old 02-10-2008, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a similar situation happen to me and I went to my principal and asked why it was happening. I wondered the same as you, and asked if there was a limit. I never did get a straight answer, but I didn't get anymore new students either.

One student was pulled from another class and put in mine because the other teacher had "concerns about parent conflict". This was after the first week of class!! I still have that boy in my class and have never had any issues with the parent.

Another student was placed in my classroom because it was the "best environment" for her. Really?? With 32 other students when the other classes only had 27 or 28??

So I guess it is typical...at my school anyway!

AD

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would ask the principal about it. It sounds like putting the new students in your class is in the best interest of these students, but it's not fair that you are getting more students than the other teacher.

I would think that if the other teacher requires assistance in all areas, and your principal isn't putting students in his class, then there is something wrong and your principal knows it. I cannot imagine that he would rehire this teacher for next year.

lismac

Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have very strict guidelines on this- They start in reverse abc order and the teacher with the lowest number gets the next new student.

4mteach

Punished
Old 02-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sometimes the good teachers get punished with more work and the not so good teachers get rewarded, less work. I would hope that the teacher would not be rehired if this was the case.

MrChapp

Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It was pretty normal at my old school, which was a charter school. Parents would basically come in and say, "Move my kid to so-and-so's room or we leave the school". When I had one particular teaching partner it was always really lopsided-- I'd be at the max (25) and she'd have maybe 20. The only way it worked in my favor is I would usually start the year completely at capacity, which meant unless someone left the school I didn't get any new students.

cvt

aide
Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Would it be possible for you to get an instructional aide for an hour or two per day to offset the larger number of students in your class? It seems unfair to burden you with more because your teammate can't handle his class. Make a deal with the principal and tell him that you feel that for the sake of equity you want someone to help you out for some part of the day.
I also wonder what the principal is doing to support the new teacher (other than giving you more students).

eliza4one

Old 02-11-2008, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks everyone for the responses. *Normally* (i.e., in year's past), it has been done equitably. This particular teacher is just struggling.

I hadn't thought of asking for extra help. I do have 3 different aides that come in 3x per day (45 min. each time) to help with the IEP kids. I doubt I could ask for much more than that.

The principal and our BRT (building resource teacher (mentors new teachers)) AND our G/T (gifted talented) are doing A LOT to support him. The latter 2 are actually pulling small groups and teaching. The BRT also does lessons for him in his classroom, so he can observe and learn.

Since it is Feb. and since this is the 1st year this has happened, I'm just going to ride it out.

I appreciate everyone's responses. Helps to know what is the norm/what is not. I think there are always exceptions to the 'norm'. This is just one of those years.