Help

ARCHIVE

Ripping off desk name tags

>

markma

Ripping off desk name tags
Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My 2nd graders each have a desk tag that has their name, the alphabet, a number line, a hundreds chart, & many other useful tools on it. We refer to it often, especially during math.

However, this year I have a group of boys who keep destroying their desk tags, thus leaving them with blank desks. I have replaced the tags several times (with warnings to leave them alone), yet within a day or two they have them torn, scrunched & shredded into sticky balls.

Several of these boys NEED the info. on the desk tags to help them, esp. with their math (still clinging to those number lines), but they'd rather be part of the "cool" group that are ripping them off.

What do you think is an appropriate consequence for this group? I don't think that constantly replacing them is the answer (plus the desk tags aren't cheap!). How can I get them to leave them alone & use them for their intended purpose? THANKS!

name6376

name6376

I have a solution
Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use the clear name tag covers from Really Good Stuff. I put them on the desk and slide my desk tag in it. So it never gets messed up!
Or you could tell the boys that for every minute they rip off their desk tag, they will not play at recess.

ismile

Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could you contact paper over the name tag making it harder for them to get to? Mine are laminated and then velcroed to the desk so that I can move them easily.

For those boys, could they owe work time for the things that have destroyed and you have replaced? That me detour them from destroying more in the future.

lenarmc

Desk tags
Old 02-11-2008, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I stopped using desk tags in October because they were destroying them. I only need them for a couple of weeks anyway. I have important things posted on the wall for reference. I found that the students don't use the information anyway. To be honest, they even tore up the laminated ones. I got tired of looking at the mess. Never gave a consequence for tearing them up.
My son's teacher sent the name tags home. I guess she got tired of them, too.

SnowQueen

Make them pay
Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for a new one.WE have planners at my school for 3-5th and when a child loses their planner they have to buy copied off page untill they find their planner. They use school earmed cash (not real money, money they have earned for good behavior etc.)) If that doesn't solve the problem they end up buying new ones with real money. You could make a copy so it is not as nice as the others. They might want buy one when they don't have the material they need to complelte their paper

Azure

name tags
Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I become frustrated with the same kids continually tearing off/ruining their tag, I will congratulate all the students who have kept their name tags perfect and give them a small gift like a pencil or something else along those lines.

I also let them know they will NEVER know when I will hand out surprise "thank you's" to them.

I have also taken the offender's tag off completely. When they need the information, I just say sorry you ripped yours. You will have to use a ruler. I also let the parents know of their actions and the consequences because of it.

School Time

Packing tape
Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I used to use clear contact but it was hard to remove the residue at the end of the year. This is the second year that I am using clear packing tape. It works great, they play with it less, and is easier to remove later. I also offer a bribe--a small prize in June if you have all or most of your name and alphabet.

chronicfun

what I do
Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use clear packing tape to completely cover them, but yes, some kids are pickers! I tell them if they can make it to a certain date and NOT pick at it, they get a prize.After that date has passed, I pick a new one. For me that has worked.If they start picking at corners, I get out the packing tape and go over it again. Find something those boys REALLY want and hold that over their heads....

K-Jeanne

name tags
Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have laminated name tags, but I do not tape them down. Is it possible to have the name tags in a special place in your room. If you have a sub, they can be passed out. If students need the information on the card, they know where to get the information.
Instead of changing the behavior- which isn't working, change the issue. Is it really worth the battle over who is ripping them off, and who isn't. Use your valuable time teaching and let the students who need the tools have them available.
Just a thought!

linda2671

No Nametags
Old 02-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use file folders and put all the information that is usually on a nametag, plus money values, sight words, word families, and a hundreds chart. I glue all of those things on the front and inside the file folder, then laminate it. The kids keep them in their desks and refer to them when they need them. They can also take them out in the hall to refer to when they work with a para or something. We call them our work folder.

School Time

Reason for nametags
Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't have the nametags on the desk for me (after the first week or so). They are printed and in cursive since we are learning cursvie this year. Also, some of the kids at the beginning of second grade revert to some old habits after summer vacation and put capitals in the wrong places when they print.
Hmmph.

Hmmph.

Name tag saver
Old 02-12-2008, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I got an idea off here a long time ago and tried it. I laminated the name tag, and put them on the desks with velcro. It works really well. The kids may "rip" the tags off the velcro, but they usually stick them right back on. Most of my name tags look okay even now in the middle of February.

Another idea I got off here is to make "mini-offices." Put two file folders end to end (one flipped over so they all fold nicely) and put the info on them that you need. Charts, number lines, letters, whatever. Instead of wasting them on the kids, make a few mini-offices that they can get when needed. Laminate them and keep for several years.

Since they can't handle the stuff at their desks, they don't get it. When their grades decline, you can let their parents know about their destruction of tools used for the classroom and immaturity exhibited.

Funnygirl

And I thought...
Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

...that I invented the velcro desk-tag! It does work well, especially when kids sit at tables, not desks, and you want to switch up the seating.

I love the idea of mini-offices! I'm going to try that! Thanks so much for the idea.

JenInWV

another idea
Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

A teacher friend of mine puts Velcro underneath her tables. She just uses the rough part. That way, the kids can rub it when they feel active. She says that it gives very active little boys (and girls) something to "fiddle with" that is not distracting. I haven't tried it yet, but she swears it works.

AddieJ

paint stir sticks
Old 02-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I wanted to try using paint stir sticks this year, spray painting them two colors (yellow for first name/red for last name) and using velcro to attach them but I never got around to it - maybe next year!
The other helpers on the name tags are posted around the room so it doesn't matter too much if there on the nametag or not.
This year, I give out our school bucks every Friday to kids who haven't picked at their name tag during the week. They use the bucks at our school store. I sometimes have trouble finding appropriate things to "pay" them for and this made sense that if they took care of their nametag, they'd get their salary on Friday. So far, everyone has them intact and looking decent.

Volleyann

Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I would reward the students whose nametags are the way that you would like...maybe a piece of candy, free recess, etc. Say that you will be checking every once and awhile for Super Desks or whatever you want to name it.
hallie

hallie

go!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Send them to prinibles!!!!!

AddieJ

hallie...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

what are "prinibles?"