ARCHIVE

Texas Teachers

>

anon today

anon today

Texas Teachers
Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Texas Teachers, can anyone tell me about the school districts in the Houston area? I will be student teaching this upcoming fall and we get to make a preference for our school district choices. Our choices are Houston ISD, Alief ISD, Aldine ISD, and Spring Branch ISD. So I'd appreciate any info on those school districts. I live not too far from Alief, but I've heard some bad things about Alief, but who knows how true that is. So I'd especially like any info you have on Alief schools. Thanks!

Andrea7

Student Teaching
Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would say you have a hard choice. Most of these districts are not the best but they might have a couple good schools in each district. Good luck to you in your student teaching! These districts will give you some real hands on with some challenging students.
anon today

anon today

Old 02-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My university only has partnerships with a select number of schools within each district. For instance if I choose Houston ISD, I can't just pick any elementary school. You can't student teach at any school in the district. I know some schools in Houston ISD where I would love to student teach. There's one down the street from me thats GREAT. Its in Houston ISD, but its not on our list of schools where we can student teach. On our list of Houston ISD schools, only the absolute worst, low-income, Title 1 schools are listed. And thats the same for Spring Branch, Alief, and Aldine. The worst schools are the ones selected for student teaching placements. I feel like the university is putting student teachers into a very difficult position. I'm not against teaching low-income or minority students. But when the entire school is that population it makes things very difficult. I like more of a mix. I'd like to teach at a school where you have a mix of middle class to low-income students.

anon 4 this

anon 4 this

Houston
Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would put Spring Branch at the top of your list. I student taught there. It has a range of schools. I taught in Aldine, it's ok, depending on the school you are at. Put it second. As for Alief and HISD, it is a toss up. All of the districts in Houston have some tough schools. I am now in a district that is not on your list. It has a wide range of socio-economic schools.
After student teaching, and you are still going to teach in Houston, look into some other districts. There are a lot of them!

I know it will be challenging to be at a rough school. The one I am at now as well as the one in Aldine, is rough. Hopefully, you will have support! The kiddos will need you. You will learn all kinds of classroom management skills.

Be sure to post back here when you get a placement, so if you need anything, we are all here to help!

Let us know what you pick and where you will be!

Kerri M

Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would definitely put Spring Branch at the top of your list, that's just my opinion though. I didn't student teach in the Houston area but I was at a pretty tough school and honestly I feel like I was better prepared because of it. I'm sure wherever you end up will be a positive experience for you. Good luck!

houstontchr

houstontchr

Thoughts on teaching in Houston schols
Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would put Spring Branch at the top too. I would not recommend Alief or HISD. At least if you get your foot in the door in Spring Branch, you can move on to a really good school there.

sunedis

sunedis

I love Alief
Old 06-11-2008, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been in Alief as a new teacher for the past two years. I did my student teaching here, and will have my own class this fall. I have been supported by the staff at every point in my teaching. The diversity in the classrooms definitely makes for an interesting mix of backgrounds and experiences. I'm sure there are easier student teaching assignments, but the experiences and caring you'll gain from working with the students is priceless! Good luck to you wherever you decide to go!