Help

ARCHIVE

Continents Art Activity

>

Alikary

Continents Art Activity
Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has an idea for an art project about the continents. i teach 1st graders and I was thinking of paper mache-ing a globe. I've done it with 3rd graders but not sure about 1st graders. does anyone have another suggestion? or has tried paper mache with 1st graders?

Thanks

Alikary is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

cut & paste
Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have black line masters of all the continents. We color and label them then glue to a big blue sheet of paper.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Paper Mache
Old 02-12-2008, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have a Kindergarten teacher who paper maches turkeys in November with his Kinders so as long as you go slowly and patiently (expect a mess!) first graders can definately do it!

Another option would be to paper mache one big globe and have the kids use model magic (it's very light) to create the continents and then using a heavy glue (like gorilla glue?) glue the continents on the globe. The only problem there is the kids can't take it home.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Torn art continents
Old 02-12-2008, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We really study the size and shape of each continent and tear them out in 7 different colors and mount on a piece of 12X18 blue construction paper. We include the names of the oceans, equator, and a compass rose.
I would be happy to post more indepth directions if there is interest.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

ABC

Grocery Bag Globes
Old 02-14-2008, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We make grocery bag globes which is work, but is easier than paper mache. Take larger size brown bags from the grocery store and stuff with newspaper until full. Tape closed and push corners from the bottom of the bag down to make as round as possible. It won't be perfectly round but fairly close. Paint all blue. Then glue continents on. I even hang them from the ceiling by wrapping yarn around it like a package. Once everything is on they look great.

ABC is offline   Reply With Quote

kit1024

"Punch-out" continents
Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi,

I teach 2nd, but this may work with 1st, too. I copy black line masters of all the continents on different colors of construction paper. Then the kids lay on the carpet and use a push pin to punch out the borders of each continent. If they punch holes really close together, after they are finished, it will punch out really easily like a perforated edge. Then they glue these on large blue ovals.

I found that if you really take the time to emphasize safety with the push pins, this project works great for primary kids. Some of the borders of the continents are difficult to cut with their fine-motor skills and scissor skills, so doing it this way allows the continents to look really nice. Also, my kids think it is soooo fun! We take about 2 weeks to do this project, and my kids usually ask if we can do Social Studies twice a day during this time period.
kit1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
frances ramo

frances ramo

el grupo de banda
Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

un dia unas ninas que se llamaban frances,gladisha,delany,yariza, ivelis
y bamos para un colsielto el lunes pero que pasa que delany dijo yo meboy a quital dela banda por mi papa dijo que si yo nomequito me maba a manda para puerto rico pero delany lo dise que ella esta feliz en la bada porque lla gravamos in disco
Addy

Addy

continent art
Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

take a big blue paper and cut out two circles. have children pin push or cut out continents and glue them where they should me on each side of the globe. staple the circles together and fill the will scrap paper.