United States Social Studies Project Ideas? - ProTeacher Community

moulinhuge

United States Social Studies Project Ideas?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was just wondering if anyone had any great ideas for a States project that extends beyond the usual collection of facts. I am working with a student teacher and she needs to complete her unit. All the ideas we have come up with are too informational and do not extend the unit to application and transformation.

We had come up with the idea of an interactive map as well as grouping the kids to make a commercial for a particular state or region of the country. Any other ideas that will help them demonstrate their knowledge in a more creative way would be great.

Thanks

Sorry I forgot it is a grade 4 Inclusion class with 11 moderate sped kids and 12 gen ed kids.

moulinhuge is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.L

State Monument
Old 02-14-2008, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught 4th grade, I taught about the usual monuments around the country. Then, the students each chose a state to research and create a monument to represent the major business, history, etc. from that state. They made them out of Salt and Flour Dough and we painted them once dry. They then had to write a one page report about how the monument they created represented the state they researched. They also made an index card with brief information like they say at a local museum. It went really well.
Mr.L is online now   Reply With Quote

2summerbabies

travel brochures and scrapbooks
Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are studying regions right now. I broke the class into 5 groups for the five regions we study, each group works together to complete a packet and do a presentation on their region. As a final project they have a choice of making a travel brochure for the region or a scrapbook.
2summerbabies is offline   Reply With Quote

deb603

Old 02-14-2008, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We made state floats last year and we had a parade up and down the hallways. It was really fun!
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

Trinia2

Packet Ideas
Old 02-14-2008, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I need to teach the regions as well. Every year I do not get them all covered. This would be a great way to at least expose them to each region. Would you mind sharing what kinds of things you have in your packet?

Trinia2 is offline   Reply With Quote

2summerbabies

packets
Old 02-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Trinia2, i don't have them here with me, and won't until Tuesday, but what we basically did was look through our Social Studies book and see what were the major things covered in all regions studies. Then we set up assignments where the students were responsible for covering those key things. Off the top of my head; our s.s. book highlights a "legacy" for each region. For the south east it is music, what makes music a legacy in this reason, give evidence to support your thoughts. Some of the assignments are to read and answer questions, others are more project or discussion based. For the brochure or scrapbook students need to identify the region and the states within it correctly on a map, discuss a product or natural resource of the region, a tourist attraction or landmark, historical information on the region, the climate, and a tall tale or legend related to the region. Also for the scrapbook journal entries tell important facts about the people and places of the region, include a good amount of information for each place visited, and a scrapbook page for each state visited in the region that includes pictures, souvenirs, and notes. HTH!
2summerbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
jn2sports

jn2sports

map
Old 02-15-2008, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have students bring in dried foods or items related to agriculture or industry for each state. Glue the items to a poster size map.

moulinhuge

Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the ideas I particularly like the one that has the student create a monument.
moulinhuge is offline   Reply With Quote

hrush

Capitol City Commercials
Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was overseas visiting friend who is stationed on a military base. They have US programs through Armed Forces TV. They don't have regular commercials, but one of the commercials that I did see was what they capitol city salutes. They show some of the things that the state is famous for and then focus on things about the actual city. I saw them and thought they would be great for teaching the capitols to my students. I then thought, instead of showing them to my class I would get a copy of one and create a mock-up to share. I would then assign them to research and create their own capitol city salutes. I think this will take place of my regions packets next year. I had already done my packets for this year and hated to scrap it all. I figure that I will have them do region commercials instead this year. I hope this helps.
hrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Woody418

The last time I taught
Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

States and Regions I broke the students up into teams and each team would have to create a state shape map (I would copy an atlas for templates so the states could all be put together as a big floor or wall poster , travel guide for fun and interesting things to do in that state, and then to present the state each group would have to give us a guided tour of their state using powerpoints or any other media we could think of. (short internet clips, posters, I even had one student make a terarium to look like a Florida Swamp) My kids really got into these projects but it was alot of controled madness in the room while they were working on them. You can also download travel guides or request them from each state to get them going on what theirs should look like.
Hope this helps.
Woody418 is offline   Reply With Quote