Habitat Project - ProTeacher Community

iPeach

Habitat Project
Old 02-18-2008, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want my students to do a little bit of research and create a poster/diorama/mobile, etc. of their chosen animal's habitat. How much is too much for a 3rd grader? What kind of questions should I include for them to find and about how many? Thank you.

iPeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Eydie

Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had my second graders last year create a shoebox diarama of an animal habitat. It had to include; the animal of their choice, the environment where the animal would be found naturally, by looking I had to be able to see where it met it's basic needs including shelter, food and water sources.
They each presented their project to the class with an oral report about their animals habitat.
Then we put the boxes on tables in the hallway so passing classes could see their projects.
They did a great job and they turned out so pretty.
Some used crafty construction paper and clay,paint etc, while others hot glued in real grass and rocks, and other things from outdoors! Some used plastic animals, some cut from magazines and some drew their animals. All of them were precious!

Last edited by Eydie; 02-18-2008 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Typos! There are probably more!
Eydie is offline   Reply With Quote

AmyH

A site to get your mind going..
Old 02-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

http://www.mrssnodgrass.com/index.ph...ceteachers.htm

Might be good to get your mind going for your questions..
AmyH is offline   Reply With Quote

azfarkas

I love this idea!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Eydie, did you have your second graders do this at home or in school? Do you have any directions typed up that you could share? I also teach second grade and would love to do this since we just learned about habitats in science.
azfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote

GATeacher3rd

Habitat Diorama
Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do this project each year. I teach in GA so my students have to pick a habitat found in GA that contains 2 plants and 2 animals that are native to GA. They must label the plants and animals as well as create an environment that matches the habitat they have chosen. They can pick from: ocean, coastal plains, piedmont, mountains, and the swamp/marsh. My third graders usually come back with great dioramas. I am very impressed with the work they put into it. I don't think this will be too much to ask from yours. Good luck!

GATeacher3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sharondipity

habitat research in second grade
Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We now study temperate and tropical forests and grasslands in second grade. Traditionally we have completed animal projects. This year we combined the two and the students did a project on a forest or grassland animal, which needed to include the habitat in the background. We let them do a diorama, poster, mobile, model, collage of photos or drawings, PowerPoint presentation, or any other visual project. All of them must include written information also. All of the students' projects are at least good, and some are amazing. The best part is the wide variety of ideas the children have to show their learning.

In the written portion about habitat, students were asked to include: in which type of habitat their animal was found, what parts of the world it is in, if it is a temperate or tropical region, what special adapations it has to help it survive in its habitat, and what problems exist in its habitat (such as predators, lack of food, deforestation, etc).
Sharondipity is offline   Reply With Quote
D.K.

D.K.

animal diorama
Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've done dioramas in the past but found covering the outside of the shoebox difficult. We tried painting w/ tempura paints and once we tried spray painting. It was a load of money and a mess.

Any ideas on how to cover the outside nicely for third graders?
PSTeacher23

PSTeacher23

Old 05-08-2009, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You can cover the box with colored Contact Paper. You can purchase really good colors at a teacher supply store and sometimes walmart has some.