Text Feature Chart - ProTeacher Community

wistlindixie

Text Feature Chart
Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a good student-friendly chart of text features (nonfiction) and their purpose? I don't want to spend time making one if someone has already done a good one! Thanks in advance! ~Christine

wistlindixie is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Got this from another PT friend
Old 02-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't take credit for it and honestly, didn't use it.

I actually made up one with the kids. Each day, I introduced a book that featured a certain non fiction feature (Weekly Reader and Gail Gibbons books are particularly helpful for this unit by the way).

We'd review our chart of features and then, add any new things we noticed.

We have a "handmade" colorful chart ready to be applied when we start our All About Books (we just chose a topic just before our Feb break)

The kids really refer to it and "prove" the book we are reading is non fiction.

Hope it helps,
Shark
Attached Files
File Type: doc Non%20fiction%20Features[1].doc (53.5 KB, 2408 views)
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

bostonsmom

Copy of Debbie Miller's
Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just typed up a copy of the chart Debbie Miller had in her book Reading With Meaning.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Features of Nonfiction and How They Help Us Read.doc (32.5 KB, 2009 views)
bostonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Head Honcho

Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I actually used msharkey's pages (thank you!!) and made an eight page booklet for my students. We cut up the features as we found them in our Scholastic News magazine, and glued them to the page. Then we wrote the purpose of the text feature. Some of the text features I had to copy for the students from a nonfiction book to glue into their booklets because Scholastic News doesn't have them all. It really was a great teaching tool when it was all finished. I have kids coming up to me sharing the text features they recognize in their nonfiction books!
Head Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Wendy1

Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just wondering how you make your All About Books. Do you model Gail Gibbons books?

Wendy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

I set up a chart with the kids
Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

just like bostonsmom.

I begin by modeling in Reading Workshop using Gail Gibbons books and some Weekly Readers that I've saved over the past 2 years that lend themselves to diagrams and fun facts pages.

During my Reading Workshop, we enjoy the book, make new discoveries, and add to our chart of "Non Fiction Features that Help us to Learn".

I know others make booklets and have children find these features in magazines and other places but I haven't done that - maybe next year. Honestly, through the numerous examples we share together, they really do get what a table of contents is, section headings, etc... so by the time we do our All About Books, they really do understand it (at least in a "first grade way")

Mine may not be a perfect way nor Debbie Miller's way but it does work for me. I do love the charts that Miller suggests and I have done a lot of them this year in particular.

Thanks to those that shared. I love PT! It's filled with the most generous people.

Shark

Wendy1

Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks so much for explaining!! Have you ever had them write a nonfiction book about a certain topic?
Wendy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SFiorini

non-fiction features
Old 02-18-2008, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I created the non-features books that msharkey posted. (thanks for sharing it with others). I teach second grade so we go into this in much bigger detail than you would if you taugth first grade. After my students complete the non-features book; they pick an animal (usually books form Gail Gibbons) and write their own non-fiction book. My second graders do a great job of this.
Sandy
SFiorini is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Wendy1
Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We do TC Writers' Workshop whereas they are supposed to determine what they are experts in.

Prior to our district's adoption of this writing program, yes, my first graders would select an animal of choice they would like to learn more about, research it, and do an animal report.

Honestly, I can see both sides. The kids really enjoyed doing the report but they needed SO much of my help in researching and organizing.

Having them chose a topic and write their own All About Book does a few things. 1) It gives them ownership that they are indeed an expert at something 2) It gives them more of an opportunity to truly write it themselves 3) It allows for ALL students (not just the avg and above) to feel they have accomplished an All About Book by the end so everyone feels successful - everyone's book looks different and is about different things.

The initial choosing of the topic is really hard for first graders as is trying to explain some of the sections. What I have found successful is having me "write" an all about with them. My mini lessons are me writing my All About Book.

Looking back, having them write about an animal I think is writing for a different purpose. All about books, I thought, was about having them teach someone else about something they know a lot about - something they feel they are an expert in. Writing an animal report is having them learn about an animal and then teach someone else about it - it's like doing double duty.

Hmmm...this just occurred to me. I never really reflected about this before. Thanks for the opportunity to do so.

Oh..BTW, I am by no means an expert at UoS or TC Writers' Workshop. Although I've been doing it for about 4 years, I still find myself learning the program - tweaking every year for my kids.

Shark

msharkey

SFiorini
Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you didn't mind that I shared your work. This is what I really love about PT - everyone helps everyone else.

Have you started/finished your non fiction unit yet this year?
Shark

SFiorini

msharkey
Old 02-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Don't worry I'm glad that you shared my work.! That's why I love PT and other boards like this. I know I got that idea from a workshop I attendend; so it's not completely my own creation, just what my take on what I learned. I hope that someone can take my work as use it however they see fit for their classroom needs.

I completed my non-fiction work in Dec. My author of the month in Dec. is Gail Gibbons. Now my class is working on writing biographies which is very similiar to what we did with non-ficiton books.

Sandy
www.vvsd.org/rch/staff/fiorinisl/
SFiorini is offline   Reply With Quote

alligooner

Old 04-12-2008, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

http://www.teachersclubhouse.com/

has a great page about text features.
alligooner is offline   Reply With Quote