Restaurant theme.... - ProTeacher Community

Ruby07

Restaurant theme....
Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!
Our theme next week is RESTAURANTS!

We're definitely turning our play kitchen area into a restaurant; that's a no-brainer.

But I'm coming up blank on any other activities - - center-based and such.

Any ideas?? My regular theme-based websites aren't showing anything.

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

A colleague of mine
Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

used to have a homemade concentration game using examples of environmental print. Besides using the logos of area and chain restaurants, she used foods and common prducts, businesses, etc. too--she cut card stock to size and got copies of restaurant logos from anywhere she could--fry wrappers, take out menus, magazines, sales ads, coupons, etc. Like I said she also used mall stores, Walmart, Cheerioes, mayo, bandaids, Kleenex....and so on.

You could do the same thing and just google different restaurants and print them out so they are all the right size and the same thickness. They could use it for matching games, sorting, categorizing, anything.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

CageyBee

Restaurant Theme
Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow...you brought back some great memories when you asked for ideas for a restuarant theme. Here are some things I did when I taught Kindergarten.
1. Environmental print: Lots of ways to use the logos from area restaruants. I printed some off the computer by going to their sites or just went to the restaurant and was gladly handed over all sorts of items. I made matching games, (one was with paper pancakes that the kids used a spatula to "flip" to match the words) counting games, and letter-sound association games.
2. I made a word wall on a big menu, acutally black oaktag to look like a menu sign with chalk writing. I also added simple money values. Then I gave the children actual pads of "checks" that restaurants would write your order/bill on. They LOVED that! They'd copy the food and money value and give each other their bills...too cute...but GREAT practice on so many levels.
3. I made a few placemats that had activities on it for skills we were working on so the children would complete the skills while waiting for their "food" to cook.
4. I set up simple rebus type recipes for the "chef" to follow. One was for trail mix where they had to put 6 raisins, 8 Cheerios, 10 chocolate chips, etc. into the cups to serve. Another recipe was for crackers on a dish, cheese cubes on toothpicks, "ants on a log", etc.
5. I also made sure a broom and dustpan was available for "cleaning" up at the day's end. We also had a dishtub of soapy water so the dishes could be washed. Another BIG hit. Be sure you have waterproof aprons though. (Plastic painting smocks)
6. I read lots of silly poems about food...read stories with food themes, sang songs...all to get us in the mood.
7. We wrote a big book story about "Manners in a Restaurant" and then each child contributed to the illustrations.
8. I had measuring cups avaiable in the sand table area just to experience the different sizes and volumes each held.
I know I did so much more but I am getting hungry and am heading out to eat!
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote

vic

restaurant theme
Old 02-22-2008, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just brings back a few memories from when I was in college. I went to McDonalds and asked for about 20 french fry containers. The red ones that stand up and put numbers on them. I made french fries out of styrofoam that I cut into strips and the kids counted how many fries went into each fry container. We also had a mister mouth that only ate good foods and we talked about healthy and unhealthy foods.
vic is offline   Reply With Quote