How much do you tip the Shampoo Girl? - ProTeacher Community

WritingTeach

How much do you tip the Shampoo Girl?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have never considered myself a cheap person. I tend to tip 20% and above in most places.

Tonight while I was waiting to get my hair washed, I overheard the Shampoo Girl complaining about her tips. She was annoyed that the last two customers only tipped her two dollars! She said, "You can't even buy coffee for two dollars now!"

Internally I was shocked. I always tip two dollars! I thought that was a decent tip. I mean I have short hair. It takes all of five minutes to wash, rinse, and towel up my hair.

As she finished washing me, I handed her two dollars and thanked her. She was very gracious, as she always is. But now I know she thinks I am cheap.

It isn't like I am going to a top-notch salon. It is one of those places where a cut is $16.00. If you want conditioner or a blow-dry, you pay extra. So...it started me thinking.

What do YOU tip the Shampoo Girl?

anngirl

Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Never heard of a shampoo girl!!

rebeccav

Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't have a shampoo girl, just my stylist. I tip her around 18% for the whole shabang. I think if I had a shampoo girl I would tip $2.00 to $3.00, but no more than that. You would think they would be tipped from the stylists.

2ndGradeDeb

Old 02-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The hairdresser I go to now does everything. When I used to go to Fantastic Sams or Super Cuts, I never tipped the girl who washed my hair! I just assumed they would share the tip I left!!! Wow!!! I feel cheap!

imacacher

I don't??
Old 02-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Deb, don't feel bad--I've gone to Fantastic Sams for 14 years and I've never tipped the shampoo girl. It's the daughter of my stylist, and I give her much more than 20%--I give her $5.00 for a $16 haircut, so I'm assuming she's typing her daughter as well.

dkd1173

dkd1173

A what?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

None of the places I've ever gone to has had a person who just does shampoo...interesting. My stylist has always done it. I tip 20% for the whole process (shampoo, cut, sometimes highlights).

Hylin

Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I go to a Hair Cuttery, but I always see the same girl. I have short hair and am incredibly anal about the cut. She also does my eyebrows. I tip my stylist well [usually $10 for a $16 cut and $10 wax] but only because she knows me well and I always leave feeling very about both my hair and my brows.

She is also who shampoos my hair. We don't have seperate people. The shampoo is my favorite part It feels nice after having half my eyebrow ripped off my face

momx4

I guess I am the cheapest...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Why should you even tip the person who cuts your hair? I have never understood that! I do it but it is out of guilt! Can somebody explain??

Ima Teacher

Old 02-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My stylist is the one who does it all, but I don't tip him. He's the owner of the salon.

School Time

Shampoo girl
Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I now go to Super Cuts, where the stylist also does the shampooing. When I went to a different salon, I used to tip the shampoo girl. I have heard that you don't tip the stylist if he or she is also the owner. The owner used to cut my hair but I felt funny not tipping him. I stopped going there when he started to spend more time talking to everyone around him than looking at what he was doing to my hair.

anngirl

Old 02-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You tip the stylist unless its the owner because they have to pay rent for their station to work there.

WritingTeach

I do tip the stylist.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love her! I followed her to this new place because of that. This place is huge. There are thirty stations that individual stylists rent. All other employees get a base salary. The ones who work the phone must get paid well as they do not get tips. The ones who wash the hair also do all the towel laundry. They also help to sweep the stations when they have time in between shampooing. They must not have a large base salary because there is a sign by the sinks that states that tips are appreciated.

I give my stylist $5.00 for a $16.00 haircut. When she dries it, I usually give her $7.00 as her tip. I do not mind tipping her because she does a great job!

I also don't mind tipping the shampoo girl. I just thought the $2.00 tip was generous. I was shocked to see that she felt is was cheap.

Irish

tip the shampoo girl
Old 02-22-2008, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I tip $2. I figure she must wash 5 to10 heads an hour or more that's not bad. I'm sure the stylist must tip them out of their tips. (Waiters tip the bus staff in resturaunts).

Carolynn

tip the owner?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't have someone who just shampoos my hair so I have no idea how much you should tip. I did want to comment on the "not tipping because it's the owner" I've always heard this myself then a teacher at work had a sister who owned a salon. She told us that most times she doesn't make much if anything more than the stylists that work for her. So she was saying that she appreciates the customers that tip her even though she's the owner. She says that stylists often depend on their tips as part of their salary. So...you may want to tip the owner who does your hair. Well, I guess that is unless you go to one of those swanky, high end places where you're sure the owner is making money. Just something to consider.

westernteach

Tipping the Shampoo Girl??
Old 02-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My hairdresser is the one who shampoos my hair so I just give her a tip (20%) when she's done. I never heard of a shampoo girl.
tipee

tipee

tips and shampoo person
Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am a shampoo girl and 2 dollars is a good tip. There are days I don't get more than 5 dollars after shampooing all day. I don't get tipped out by the stylist but there alot of people who don't know to tip the shampoo girl.

Tounces

shampoo girl
Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I've never heard of a shampoo girl either. It is someone who just shampoos hair? You use the word 'girl'. Does that mean this is a teen or just what you call her? Anyway, I don't get my hair shampooed at a salon, I do that at home. My haircut runs $42-60. I tip 15% usually. I think 20% is too high. I used to go to an inexpensive place to get my hair cut for $20. Then it depended on how good they did to get 10% or 15% if they did better. They always had trouble cutting it good-so I switched salons to where more experienced/talented people work.

Azure

I never even
Old 03-14-2008, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

thought about tipping the shampoo girl. I pay and tip the stylist/owner enough as it is.
Frustrated

Frustrated

Old 08-31-2008, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am a shampoo girl for the past 2 years at a Lemon Tree. The other shampoo girls & hairdressers don't even make minimum wage. We rely on commission (for hairdressers only) and for tips tips tips!!!! It drives me crazy when people don't tip our owner, she is a working mother also, and does not make much more then ourselves, and when people don't tip myself & the other shampoo girls. Also, I don't think it is fair to base a tip for the shampoo girl on how fast they wash your hair. Especially on a busy Saturday, we are strictly told to make sure the hair is thourougly cleaned, not to massage your heads. Sure it's great for you if you have a 10 minute head massage, but I'm the one getting yelled at for shampooing you slowly. Shampoo girls should be tipped 2-4$ for a regular wash. If you see them washing it 3 or more times, your heads dirty, tip more. For colors, perms, hilights, 5$ is appreciated. Shampoo girls not only shampoo but sweep, run around assisting, sometimes blow out hair, answer phones and so on. Remember, you wouldn't go to a restaurant and not tip the waitress, please don't forget us shampoo girls either!