Closing Lessons... Any Ideas? - ProTeacher Community

Wteach

Closing Lessons... Any Ideas?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My supervisor is always stressing the importance of summarizing/closing a lesson. Usually, it will involve revisiting the objective and asking students what they learned about. I'm looking for more creative and out-of-the box ideas for closing/summarizing lessons... any ideas?

Wteach is offline   Reply With Quote

phoebe611

closings
Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a 3, 2, 1 activity. List 3 important facts you learned, 2 interesting things and 1 question you still have. OR Who were 3 characters from the story, 2 problems and 1 solution. As I think of others I'll post more.
phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote

razzle17

Old 02-23-2008, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For reading lessons especially, I've had the students act out the objective of the lesson, whether it be the plot of a story, finding problems and solutions, or the main idea of the story. My supervisor has loved it. If the students are able to act it out it's proof that they grasp the concept, so its a fun summary/closure of the lesson for them.
razzle17 is offline   Reply With Quote

shazam

Kagan strategies
Old 02-24-2008, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Kagan has some good activities that I often use to review at the end of lessons. A good one is Hand up, Stand up, Pair up--then once they pair, up give them a review question to discuss (i.e. tell your partner the difference between a right angle and acute angle). After they discuss, I tell them to point to their partner if they had a really good answer, and I have a few kids share what they discussed. Then you can have them switch partners and discuss another question, and you can go as long or short as you need to.

Also, Rally Robin is good for some lessons. Students work with the person who sits across from them. Their goal is to rally (think volleyball or tennis) as many ideas as they can back and forth. A good rally robin question is something like Name all the examples of matter in this room that you can think of. Then partner one starts, and they just name back and forth until I call time.
shazam is offline   Reply With Quote

Wteach

Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much. Those are really great ideas. I appreciate your help! Anyone else have anymore ideas to add?

Wteach is offline   Reply With Quote

babyblue

Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

i like to use an exit quiz. i have the students do a summary of what was learned and then in order for them to move on to the next thing they have complete a short exit quiz. i usually do just a few multipole choice questions. The class i had last semester enjoyed it!
babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote

BigdaddyT

Real world
Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like to have students relate their new knowledge to the real world. For example, I did a lesson on viewpoint of the author and my students thought of five different places they see viewpoint such as the newspaper, internet articles, ect.
BigdaddyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

Anticipation Guide
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Anticipation guides are great tools to use at the beginning and end of a lesson. I like to use True or False questions because they are quick. What I do is have my students fold a piece of paper the long way. I ask several True/False questions before we read. Then we do the lesson as usual. After we finish the lesson I have them take their paper back out and turn it to the side we have not used yet. I ask the same true/false questions again. After they have answered them this time, we go over the correct answers.

This activity helps prepare them for the lesson and is a great review when we have finished. I usually ask to see how many improved on the questions. This makes them feel good about what they have accomplished!
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Bethel

Bethel

Closing a Lesson
Old 08-26-2009, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I often assign small groups a problem or idea to become an expert on. Together they determine how to best teach this to the class. At the end of class they each have 2 minutes to summarize the ideas or teach the problem. The way this differs from a typical jig-saw is that all students are given time and are responsible for trying all the work before groups are assigned to be experts.

Another favorite is to give a "shuffle quiz." Students are given several questions to discuss and come up with ideas or a consesus. Once the group feels like everyone in that group is proficient at the content presented in the questions they call me over. I "shuffle" the papers under the table and randomly choose 1. The person's paper I choose is responsible for answering my follow-up questions. If they are unable to, it is the groups responsibility to go back and re-discuss until that group member is able to answer my follow-up questions.

Forest12345

author's viewpoint
Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Author's Viewpoint is what I am doing an observation lesson on. I am having difficulty nailing down all the parts- modeling, guided practice, closure. Can you share a little more about what you did? Thanks
Forest12345 is offline   Reply With Quote