Motivation during State Testing - ProTeacher Community

drama_mama30

Motivation during State Testing
Old 02-25-2008, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What fun things does your school do to motivate students to do well on state tests? I am in charge of a group of students who have been assigned the task to plan motivational ideas for the upcoming tests. We need ideas to steal!

TIA!

drama_mama30 is offline   Reply With Quote

KcK

state testing
Old 02-25-2008, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are some great ideas floating around on the board. This is what we are doing:

A theme pep rally day on Friday afternoon (testing starts on Tuesday-no school Monday) - different staff members are coming in to my room (I am the only class testing) and cheering my kids on. We are probably going to make sundaes and try to incorporate good test taking skills. I was thinking of making a test taking jeopardy game but am not sure I have the energy to do it.

Then staff members are working together to adopt the class each day. They are coming in with something for the whole class. From the people I heard from: 1 is making test taking fortune tellers, another group is doing a recipe for success card, and another is making a treat bag of healthy snacks for each student.

for those really stressed test-anxious kids we have staff members adopt them and write them encouraging notes throughout the week.

I took a bunch of ideas from a site called positive promotions and remade them. I did "Smarties know how to prepare for a test" and made up little cards to give them with a pack of smarties.

I also do a test taking survival kit with pencils, erasers, highlighters, peppermints, gum etc for each student to have during the week of testing.
KcK is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Test Preparation Collection
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I made a collection of posts regarding Test Preparation. Some of the ideas are about motivation and others are about actual test taking strategies. Take a look. Lots of good ideas there!

Test Preparation Collection
http://www.proteacher.org/c/151_Test__Preparation.html

Also... You may want to take a look at some Test Prep 'songs' that I wrote on this thread.
Motivational songs
http://proteacher.net/discussions/sh...ad.php?t=70364
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

jsfowler

Old 02-25-2008, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Risa, those songs are too cute. I am going to add them to my testing bulletin board. Which leads me to my post...I have a bulletin board where I add a new verb each week. Along with the verb, I include a definition and an example question using that verb. Students then answer the question at some point during the week and I put up a few examples. My words are analyze, apply, compare, describe, draw conclusions, evaluate, explain, identify, infer, interpret, justify, and support.

As far as motivation, we do a Survivor Week where we review topics learned throughout the year with fun, educational activities, guest speakers, presentation, etc. We keep it light and fun, yet get in a good review. On Friday, we have a cookout and motivational speaker.

The thing that really gets my students motivated is my expectations. I express them at the beginning of the year and they do not want to let me down. It is important for them not to stress, so I repeatedly tell them throughout the year how great they are and how I now they will do great on the test.
jsfowler is offline   Reply With Quote

drama_mama30

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much. I am really trying to find some school-wide ideas to implement quickly, and your posts have helped. Risa, your songs are WAY cute! I think I might see if I can get the principal to sing them on the intercom and have the whole school sing along! How fun!

If there are more ideas, keep 'em coming! I can use whatever you have to offer!

drama_mama30 is offline   Reply With Quote

amandabakerad

Old 03-01-2008, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

hello, I am a fifth grade teacher. Is there anyway I could have a copy of the different things the other people are doing like the recipe card and the others mentioned above? We are doing a pep, and a movie. In the past I have done inspirational pillow cases, locker signs, hallway signs, grade level to gradelevel good luck notes. You have so many good ideas. I like the idea of the survival kit also. I am just interested in you explaining your ideas a bit more if you do not mind so I could incorporate them with my kiddos. I know for the math we are doing t-shirts.

Thanks so much
Amanda
amanda_baker79623@yahoo.com
amandabakerad is offline   Reply With Quote
Michael-H-

Michael-H-

Ohio State Achivement Tests
Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am an eigth grade student trying to motivate the school to do better on the Ohio Achivement Tsts we have each year. Our scores have been low.. I did a survey and most students said breakfest and rewards will make them do better. I surveys about 100 students in 3 grades. Our school system has very little money for extra things so what can we do for a reward?? Thanks
Michael
Michael-H--

Michael-H--

Spelling
Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sorry about my spelling in the last reply. I am in a rush and I was checking. Sorry! Michael