Classroom Decorating... - ProTeacher Community

teachdawg

Classroom Decorating...
Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know this might not belong here, but this is a busier board than the theme board. Next year will be my first year as a full time teacher. I want to pick a theme for my classroom and I'm thinking about a hollywood theme or a candyland theme. I'll be in the 5th grade. If anyone has any ideas about these two themes or about any other themes that would work well, please send them my way! Thanks!

teachdawg is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

treetoad
Old 02-29-2008, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Think about what you will be teaching in social studies and science and try to make it a learning environment theme that you can live with from year to year. For example only - Travel the world with me
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Shemesh

Old 02-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I second the post above me. Look at the Social Studies and Science curriculum for ideas that way you tie in with your curriculum. I'm a big fan of Around the World in (1)80 days. Its a Multicultural theme that works with every subject.
Shemesh is offline   Reply With Quote

suem

Fifth graders
Old 02-29-2008, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You have to keep in mind what 5th graders are interested in. Hollywood might be more realistic with their age group than candyland. If you have any kids or friend who have kids that age, ask them what they think they would like better.
suem is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrBlr

A word of caution....
Old 02-29-2008, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Whatever theme you decide to go with, make sure it is something you really like. Themes can get out of control. Students will bring you things, you will be constantly looking for things to add to the room. Before you know it, the theme takes over.

I have had a frog theme for two years and will not continue a theme next year. I want a simple, homey, organized classroom that is not too distracting. Themes are fun and it is a nice way to unify your class, just make sure you really like it and it is appropriate for your students (age and interests).

TchrBlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Angel Star

Theme
Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with all of the above posts. Here's what I do: We refer to our science or social studies unit as "theme" (Our school refers to it as "Themes of Study") We teach either a science or social studies unit for 4-6 weeks and that becomes our "theme". A lot is centered around the theme including my largest bulletin board. Also centered around the theme is writing, theatre, art, music, reading, etc.

After four years, I've learned to make things more simple. I put up a theme related border, a catchy title and then the KID'S WORK is what goes up on the board.

I used to change boards monthly and seasonally, with cutesy themes and what not. But I realized that it was more work than it was worth and that noone really appreciated it but me. Now that things are more simple, I get a lot more compliments on the decor of my room and the kids have a lot of pride in THEIR SPACE.
Angel Star is offline   Reply With Quote