guitar info for 5 year old - ProTeacher Community

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

guitar info for 5 year old
Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am asking all you proteacher music buffs for advice. My 5 yo is really into his guitar that he got for his b-day in Feb. He just messes around and tries to copy Daddy. He is having fun though. I think letting him explore on his own is good. Well, my DH and I think it may be time to start teaching him to play it properly. I don't play one bit, but my DH plays pretty well. He is self-taught and can play totally by ear. I wish I could do that. Anyway, are there some great programs that he could start with? We can't really afford private lessons, but feel my DH is capable of teaching him somewhat. Any good free sites out there, or programs that we could buy for the computer/DVD? Thanks.

Ima Teacher

Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My husband teaches guitar, and he starts students at age six. He hates to get students who were allowed to explore too much because he often has a hard time "unteaching" improper techniques.

DH likes lesson books by Mel Bay and Hal Leonard for beginners. You can find some free lesson videos online. YouTube even has things sometimes.

DH plays by ear and reads music, so he likes to start his students off reading music and them move them to playing by ear.

Just out of curiosity, how much do private lessons cost in your area?
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

ima teacher
Old 03-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

HI,

I actually told my DH that our DS shouldn't be messing around too much because he will learn wrong techniques...me the teacher... ha ha

Anyway, I will look into Mel Bay and Hal Leonard. I did some searching on Utube and saw little kids playing. It was kind of cute.

Private lessons cost about $60.00/hour. But this adds up for us between preschool tuitions (times two), Little League sign ups, bills, daycare, groceries, gas, insurance, cell phones, dentist bills, etc... For some that might not be too much, but for us right now, we would have to budget that in.

Does this sound high for private guitar lessons?

mes

Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

$60.00/hr for guitar lessons? Where in the world do you live? My son needs to move there! Have you tried a local music store for lessons? My son started guitar lessons at 6 and is now 21 studying music in college. He spent many years taking from a guy at the local music store and he was a wonderful teacher. My son loved him and the guy even came to his graduation party.

While living in Taiwan, we couldn't find a teacher for our son. I asked around at church and lo and behold, the pastor played guitar and was thrilled to teach him...for free! Son took cookies and Dr. Pepper to share every week - DP was so expensive that it was a HUGE treat for the Pastor. Also, my son taught four students when he was in high school. He was very cheap...but he took it very serious and did a good job. Maybe something like that might work.

Surely there is something cheaper out there.

Ima Teacher

Old 03-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Does this sound high for private guitar lessons?
I won't tell you the word that DH said when I told him that price.

He charges $20 an hour!

When he taught in a store, they charged $25 an hour, and DH had to pay the store $5 of that. Now he teaches from our house, so he's not out any gas or rental . . . only a few steps to the den where he teaches.