Rock Experiments - ProTeacher Community

latitude101

Rock Experiments
Old 03-03-2008, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for some experiments to do with rocks, does anyone have any to share or a website to share?

latitude101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Windy

Windy

Experiments w/rocks
Old 03-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade are you working with?

I can give you some ideas for modeling igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks.

Or you could do the scratch and streak tests if you have rock samples and tiles to work with.

For younger children, just sorting by properties is good. Or weighing them on the balance to see which of a group is heaviest.

latitude101

I'm working with...
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 4th grade. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!
latitude101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Windy

Windy

Rock ideas
Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you want to model igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic, you can do it this way: igneous, melt chocolate chips (magma/lava), (in a pan, microwave, pour the melted chocolate out on a bit of waxed paper for each student to allow it to cool and harden the way igneous rocks do.

Metamorphic: 3 clay balls of different colors. Roll them together into one ball. Smash it flat like a fat pancake. Stand it on its edge, smash flat again. Cut it into 4's, look at the cut edges to see how the heat and pressure have make the colors stick together, like the minerals in meta. rocks stick together after being subjected to the heat and pressure deep in the earth.

Sedimentary: mix up a batch of soil, sand, a few small rocks, --a variety of soils helps. Put some soil in a jar and add water. Shake it, and let it settle into the layers, just the way a sed rock. forms. Of course, this rock will never harden into a real rock the way sedimentary rocks form, but it shows why these rocks are in layers.

I can give you a couple other ideas or share my worksheet for the above if you are still "tuned in."

Sweet Sepia

Rock models
Old 03-13-2008, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love this idea!! I've been thinking about some review activities since Standards of Learning Test are fast approaching and I will definitely use this as a review.

Sweet Sepia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweet Sepia

Rock experiments
Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have my 5th graders bring in rocks. They have and find all kinds. We do experiments on them based on the properties they need to know: luster, steak, relative density, hardness, and cleavage. AIMS has an activity called "Pet Rock" that is good for this. Then we make a determination based on what we know about the three types of rocks as to what type we think our pet rocks are. Once they are classified, I put the rocks in plastic baggies and put them on a bulletin board that has an oversized chart with the types of rocks and a student written explanation for why they think their pet rock is sedimentary, metamorphic, or igneous. I have a rock kit for students who forget to bring a rock and to provide some variety if we have too many of one type.

Hope this helps.
Sweet Sepia is offline   Reply With Quote
Denise

Denise

sedimentary rocks
Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have an eight year old in second grade. We are doing her science fair project on sedimentary rocks. I would like to build sedimentary rocks to show how they are formed and any others that will help explain. Do you haev any suggestions, as far as materials to use. I am also trying not spend too much money. I would really love to find kit if possible. I wanted to know of any suggestions as to where I can find some. Thanks for your time

butterfly95

Rock Ideas
Old 10-19-2008, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi Windy, can you please share your work sheet and give us a couple more ideas.
Thanks for wanting to help and sharing your ideas!
butterfly95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

get clay and shells and let them mold together.
t-student

t-student

im just a kid... but listen
Old 11-03-2009, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

i know. i am in 8th grade. right now i want to go to college and major in geology, so i take earth science very seriously. In my class we did the melting chocolate thingy, but instead of smushing clay together we smushed 3 gummi bears. and for the other type of rock we melted marshmellows and added ceral and let it dry to show how water can melt a mineral and when the water goes away the minerals dry and the stuff that drys in it becomes part of the rock. also if any younger kids are having a hard time memorizing stuff you can sing songs, but dont try to make your students sing songs 6th grade or up!

dite

Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I struggle with teaching a unit on rocks each year. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas.
dite is offline   Reply With Quote
annonmous

annonmous

Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Your really werid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!psycho
me 7thgrade

me 7thgrade

need help for science project
Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

we are doing a science project and i really need help for an experiment im in 7th grade and any ideas will help