Descriptive writing - ProTeacher Community

bethlehem1977

Descriptive writing
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am student teaching and I have to teach a unit on descriptive writing. I have ideas about a final project, but I am not sure where to start. Does anyone have any ideas for activities to get the students to the final writing piece.
Thank you : )

bethlehem1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

TTT

too simple?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've given the kids an apple and to write a descriptive paragraph about it.

They could also write a descriptive paragraph about a special friend or relative.
TTT is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

We just finished writing descriptive pieces..
Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and we started by brainstorming a list of interesting places we could describe (pirate ship, baseball game, daycare center, etc.). We chose one place and I modeled writing using the 5 senses to organize our ideas. We listed all the things we could see, smell, hear, taste and touch at the location (we did Busch Stadium where the Cardinals play baseball). Each sense became a paragraph. We made sure to stop and tell more after each thing we mentioned (i.e. You can smell wonderful things at the ballpark. One whiff of the popcorn and your stomach starts growling. Each kernel is soaked in butter and tastes spectacular). Then the kids worked with a partner to write a description of a place of choice. They also wrote a piece independently. In the past, I have also had kids describe their favorite reading spot, a favorite place around town, and a character from our current read aloud.
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote