Help

ARCHIVE

Immigration Unit

>

Danzeteach

Immigration Unit
Old 03-09-2008, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I am looking for ideas for an immigration unit for my third graders. Anyone have anything they are willing to share? Thanks in advance.

Danzeteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 03-09-2008, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, I see nobody has answered you, so here's my feeble attempt!

I've not done an immigration unit, but have seen several really nice picture books on Ellis Island in the library. Perhaps you can read those.

You'll want to do a map with the main immigration trends shown with arrows or yarn or something.

And, why don't you send home a questionnaire asking the families where they came from. I know that might be sensitive issue, so they can return them anonymously and you can make them optional.

It would be neat to know that you have three families that can trace their lineage to Ireland, two from Italy, one from South Africa, etc. Not everyone will know this, and that's okay.

There are also websites that you could use (maybe get the parents okay) so that the families that don't really know their heritage could type in their last name (and maybe a few last names of parents, grandparents, etc.) and see if there is a probable heritage. You know, the McPhersons probably came from Ireland, etc.

Alicia
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Here is a link...
Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In the fall, another teacher and I used scholastic.com to teach about immigration. I see there are multiple pages of ideas and lessons, so maybe you'll find some good ideas. We found a family tree sheet and had the kids fill it out at home, along with some questions. As the previous poster mentioned, I was sensitive to some issues--I had an adopted child and wanted to make sure her adoptive family was fine with the project, which they were. Have fun.
http://content.scholastic.com/browse...igration&c17=0

Here is the link to the Family Tree pattern I got from there:
http://www2.scholastic.com/content/c...familytree.pdf
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mstainb

Immigration idea
Old 03-09-2008, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I recently held a immigration simulation with my 3rd graders! We spent about a week leading up to it, then on the day I had them carry their luggage (bookbags) and wait in long lines for the various examiners.
They loved it and they got a feel for how it was. Search for immigration simulation and you'll find resources!
mstainb is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM79

Old 03-10-2008, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is something I had saved on my computer. It's a parent letter that you could use if you wanted to about an assignment about where students' families come from to be completed at home. It was something that I saw and thought was neat so I saved it, but I haven't yet had a chance to use it. If I find anything else I'll post it!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf july05_parentletter_new.pdf (31.6 KB, 161 views)
MrsM79 is offline   Reply With Quote

tracethree

immigration idea
Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am about to begin a unit on immigration and was considering have the students assemble scrapbooks. They could do this in groups or individually. They would make a scrapbook of an imaginary family that immigated to the US. The scrapbook could include photos, letter, journal entries, maps, travel tickets and other items (obviously they would make, draw or cut from magzines or the internet these items). I got this idea from the latest Houghton Mifflin SS series.
tracethree is offline   Reply With Quote