Help

ARCHIVE

Simple Machines/

>

teachjam

Simple Machines/
Old 03-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you have any project ideas or lessons for teaching the simple machines and further into compound machines?
I teach 3rd and need some new ideas. I have them play a game to identify them, but I need something new.
Thanks.

teachjam is offline   Reply With Quote

hazeleyesinnc

simple machines
Old 03-16-2008, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about having them come up with a game like "Mouse Trap?" or having them do an art project with pictures of items that they can identify all the simple or compound machines. A book- like an abc book, but with simple machines and possibly compound machines would be another idea. Hope this was helpful.
hazeleyesinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Windy

Windy

Simple machines stations
Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do a simple machines stations lab in which they try each of the simple machines.

Wheel and axle--slide a book across the table. Slide it again but with round pencils under it. Which is easier?

Pulley--I set up 2 pulleys, one a single and one a double to lift objects. One is easier. You could just set up a pulley on a piece of dowling between 2 chairs. The kids can see if it's easier to lift the object by hand, or does it seem easier with the pulley? I made 1 lb bean bags for this. Pulleys are not too expensive at the hardware store.

Lever--long stick with weight on the end and a block of wood for the fulcrum. Which way is easier to lift the weight, with the weight and fulcrum close together or far apart?

Screw--wrap a triangular piece of paper around a pencil to show the screw is just an inclined plane wrapped around a post.

Inclined plane--got a board and set it up like a ramp. Is it easier to slide the bean bags up the ramp, or lift them up?

Wedge--bin of sand. Which way is it easier to separate the sand, with a block of wood or a wedge?

I know this is a whopping lot of work to set up, but you could do just a couple of them to show how simple machines make work easier. The wheel and axle/lever/pulley are similar in that they all have turning points so you could choose one from that group, and another from the screw/inclined plane/wedge group as they are very similar.

teachjam

Thanks!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Your simple machines stations sound great! I'll try them.
Thanks again for sharing.
teachjam is offline   Reply With Quote

lovesummer

The Science Spot
Old 05-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This might be a little advanced for third grade but you can check it out and decide for yourself. One of my favorite sites I've seen so far for Science is sciencespot.net. If you click on the Science Classroom and then onto the Physics unit you will find a simple machines webquest under the Internet Lessons section (2nd on list). It has a response sheet that students can fill out, or you could just go through some of the games on the webquest together as a class. We have box lights in our rooms and that would be a great way to display the site to your entire class if you have access to one. Good luck.

lovesummer is offline   Reply With Quote