Help

Forget-me-not Room

6+1

>

mohawk

6+1
Old 03-16-2008, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know we are all excited about having a Traits room for discussion. I certainly am!! I want to know when we will start discussing. If we need a discussion starter how about this --- Where do you start planning for 6+1? What kinds of lessons do you start with? What kind of training does one need in order to implement 6+1?

mein10

Depends a bit on grade level
Old 03-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like to begin the year with a kickoff of Six Traits. We review them all week---not in depth---but touch on each one. We begin to use the language and then we have a Six Trait SUndae Kickoff party. After that, it's a part of our daily language....everything we read we mention traits. We also do mini lessons on traits--some we publish and some we just put away for later. I teach third grade so maybe people do it differently at the younger grades. Ruth Culham does not advise that traits be split up by grade level though---you need to be talking about them all----all year IMO.

beachmom

Beginning the year with 6+1 traits:)
Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Okay...I will begin by discussing traits in my class in September. I will have books to read that teach each of the traits. Then? I guess I should buy the book and read this summer. Does anyone recommend buying anything such as the posters and the like? On the website there are many things you can buy. What works and what doesn't? How do you grade papers?

mein10

Yes
Old 03-17-2008, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Get the posters....I use them every day!!!! Don't wait until September!!! Just get started talking about the traits. You can study them yourself and then TALK TRAITS. It's really a language!!! Have fun. You'll be all warmed up....try it!!! We are here for you! Six Traits is all based upon a rubric. Kids learn, as you do, to grade their own work---and you too---on a rubric. There are lots of great sites about the traits, you may want to surf!!! Soak it all up. I couldn't live without my posters and my Complete Guide. Try this article. It is pretty helpful.
http://content.scholastic.com/browse...le.jsp?id=7266

I have a Scholastic book called:
40 Reproducible Forms for the Writing Traits Classroom: Checklists, Graphic Organizers, Rubrics and Scoring Sheets, and More to Boost Students' Writing Skills in All Seven Traits
by Ruth Culham

It is marvelous and sooooo handy!!!! Love it for record keeping, grading, and more.

beachmom

Thank you
Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will buy the posters and put them up and begin learning myself the vocabulary. Looking forward to learning more! Thank you! Thanks everyone here at proteacher!