Help

ARCHIVE

Daily Five

>

twiceblessed

Daily Five
Old 03-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was informed this week that we will be using the Daily Five at my school next year. (I teach 3rd grade.)

If you are using or have previously used the Daily Five, please share some of the pros and cons.

Our principal gave everyone a copy of the book and so far it sounds pretty good, but a few of my co-workers aren't to happy!

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!

twiceblessed is offline   Reply With Quote

n2n2n2n

Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Daily Five hasn't hit my part of the world yet but judging by the increasing number of posts about it my guess is it is the next thing. Will likely take a while to cross the border. You mentioned some folks weren't too happy. Just curious about one thing.

Was this a proclamation / announcement from the principal?
or
Was this a recommendation from staff (eg School Improvement Team, Literacy Coach etc)?
n2n2n2n is offline   Reply With Quote

saraebeth

What is daily 5?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've never heard of it.
saraebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

The Daily 5
Old 03-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

is really a management system for reading workshop. There are 5 "rotations: that replace centers and are literacy ONLY focused. Literacy blocks are broken into smaller blocks with a group mini lesson followed by a 20-30 minute work time. During the work time the kids choose one of the daily 5 rotations (read to self, read with someone, work on writing, listen to reading, working with words) while the teacher meets with small groups (guided reading or strategy) or holds individual conferences. The book outlines how to help the kids build stamina for each rotation and manage the organization of it all.

The authors (referred to as "The Sisters) have a couple of follow up books in the making. The most impressive to me is about their CAFE menu which is a way to guide instruction using standards. The kids take ownership for setting goals which are posted on a board in the classroom.

I use many of the techniques but not all and adapt as fits for me. I was lucky to attend two workshops last year at our state reading conference. The sisters are quite personable and responded to my emails each time I posed a question.

Some classroom true to the ideas have shown dramatic process.

They have a helpful web site. Check it out.
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

twiceblessed

Iluv3rd
Old 03-22-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your response. Do you mind sharing what parts you have choosen to use and what parts you didn't?

Do you have 5 rotations daily? Looking at my schedule I don't think I can fit in more than 4.

mrssimon2gr

I am using it for the first time this year in
Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

2nd grade and I absolutely LOVE it! I think it has given my kids ownership over their literacy AND they are genuinely excited EVERY day over having choice in their own learning! I don't have time for all 5 of the sections every day- Let's face it- school happens- SO, I give my kids a tracking report at the beginning of each week. They are responsible for checking off as they go- I remind them every day to check and see how many times they have been to each section....remember if you've been to writing 3 times and only 1 time to read with a buddy - go ahead and start there today. Many of my kids were doing that on their own by second quarter. When I have a sub I don't have them do the daily 5 because I am basically being lazy and don't want to explain it all to them. Honest eh?
My kids are so disappointed when we have to "skip" because of an assembly of sub....
At the end of the day we write family journals about what we learned that day and favorite part of the day- I would be wealthy if I had a nickel for every time someone said the best part of their day was Daily 5 because it is fun.
One of my teammates tried daily 5 but does not allow her kids to do read with a buddy because it is too loud and doesn't allow them to choose where they'll go because it is too much chaos.....She ended up not doing it because the kids hated it. I felt that the reason they probably hated it was because the premise of the program is ownership and has an emphasis on learning with others. I think it was control they didn't like.. I would encourage you to read it and follow it as true to form as you can and then as you get more comfortable with it tweak it to work best for your class......I think you'll find great success this way!
I am a big proponent of children learning to "do for themselves" I am this way with my own 7 children. Sometimes they hate it! I think that my job as a mom is to teach my kids to be independent. I have the same philosophy as a teacher. I want my kids to know that I will present them with material and give them lots of opportunities but the responsibility to learn is all theirs!

I hope this helps.
I absolutely think this program works!

Kym
mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote

Combow

I saw the "sisters"
Old 03-22-2008, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had the pleasure of listening to the sisters last weekend. Wow! Their energy and enthusiasm is contagious!
http://www.the2sisters.com/ Full of stuff!!!!!!

I had already read the Daily Five book. I tried to get into their session about it but it was filled. I did get into their session on CAFE, which is the teacher organizational component which goes hand in hand with the Daily 5 (the student component.) CAFE stands for Comprehension, accuracy, fluency, and expand vocabulary. It looks interesting. I am planning on adapting the Daily 5 for my 4th grade classroom and setting up a similar organizational system.
Combow is offline   Reply With Quote

twiceblessed

mrssimon2gr
Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. My current class loves reading and we all ready spend at least 45 minutes a day just reading. I am looking forward to using the Daily Five in my 3rd grade classroom next year.

twiceblessed

Combow
Old 03-22-2008, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for the link to their site. I see on the site that the CAFE is only available on DVD. Did they mention a book in the future? I would love to hear more about it, but I cannot afford to purchase the DVD.

I was also wondering about grades for report cards. We still don't have standard based report cards yet and I am required to have 2 grades per week in each subject.

Can someone share how they are getting grades for Reading?

Thank you

Combow

yes
Old 03-22-2008, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

coming out this summer. Find the downloadable resources on the site and it explains the CAFE a bit better.

Combow is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

You can download
Old 03-23-2008, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

the cafe menu from the sister's site... run your cursor over the pictures of the sisters or over the leaves on the home page and you can click to some downloads, including the menu. They are coming out with a book about the CAFE menu and doing the daily 5 in math.

There is also a great web site (some free stuff, some for pay) called Choice Literacy and the sisters have lots of videos available there (but not on the cafe). There is also a discussion group... at yahoo. I'll try to post the link.

http://#############.com/group/Daily5/

"#############" for ####

iluv3rd

You can download
Old 03-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

the cafe menu from the site... run your cursor over the pictures of the sisters of over the leaves on the home page and you can click to some downloads, including the menu. They are coming out with a book about the CAFE menu and doing the daily 5 in math.

There is also a great web site (some free stuff, some for pay) called Choice Literacy and the sisters have lots of videos available there (but not on the cafe). There is also a discussion group... at yahoo. I'll try to post the link.

http://#############.com/group/Daily5/

"groups" dot "yahoo" before the dot "com"

twiceblessed

Thank you!!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you iluv3rd and combrow for the information!