Help

ARCHIVE

Shaving cream and spelling words

>

tammynj

Shaving cream and spelling words
Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've read posts from several people about having the kids "write" their spelling words in shaving cream that is squirted on their desks. This seems like a great idea to me, and I think my kids would love it (even though they are in 5th grade!). My concern is, has anyone had trouble with a child being allergic to any shaving cream? Also, do they land up making a big mess? I am thinking of trying it, but wanted to hear from teachers that have actually done this before.... I would obviously get an unscented, sensitive skin brand (would have to be cheap, too, since I have 28 kids).

tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

danateach93

Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do it in first grade alot - they get soo excited. I have not run into someone being allergic. Usually they just get their fingers & palms in the cream. When I finish, I send them to the sink to wash their hands & I take a wet cloth & wipe down their desks. They get a dry towel & finish. I like to think that it helps to clean their desk tops during this yucky cold season. I just get whatever is cheap. Have fun!!!!!!
danateach93 is offline   Reply With Quote

dmamec

Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes kids know they don't like the feel....you can always squirt some in a gallon ziploc bag and get all the air out...it works more like a slate then and they don't touch the shaving cream.
dmamec is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 03-24-2008, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used shaving cream in 3rd grade a lot! We did spelling, math, english, vocabulary, and on and on. Your kids that typically get messy will get messy, but it washes off easily. They loved it and the desks were really clean afterwards. I never even gave allergies a thought on that--OOPS! I used to have shaving cream listed on the supply list, so I imagine a parent would let me know if there was an allergy. You could send a note home just to cover yourself.

You won't need much and if it dries out while working, just add a few drops of water, not extra shaving cream. Been there done that and it took a lot to get some desks cleared!!

Have a blast!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

jch

Pudding
Old 03-24-2008, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our janitor asked us not to use shaving cream as it was leaving a film on the desks.

I teach 6th grade, and I've started using pudding. I tape a piece of aluminum foil on the desk and give each kid a pudding cup and let them go at it. They can lick their fingers to their hearts' content.

They love it!

jch is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 03-24-2008, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My first graders love shaving cream. I have them squirt it on a piece of colored construction paper. That way when it's time to clean up, they just throw the paper away. I don't want them to take the time to wipe it off the table. It works really well!
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

coppsma

Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My kinder kids do this occasionally and they wear art smocks.
We work at tables that clean easily - I have old towels to clean up with, throw them in a large plactic garbage bag and take the towels home to wash.

Yes on the sensitive skin type with my very young students. I also need to watch for the shaving cream ending up in eyes. I buy the cheapest I can find (dollar store). With fifth graders, you should be able to tell them to stop and wash if their skin starts burning or itching. I find that the very fair-skinned students tend to be sensitive after about 10 minutes, then I have them clean up first.

By the way, they love to use the shaving cream!
coppsma is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

Shaving Cream
Old 03-24-2008, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi,
I've used the shaving cream for cursive practice several times in the past month with my 3rd graders... I like zip lock bag idea. I also like the idea of putting the shaving cream on something disposable because of the film it creates on the desks, although I don't mind wiping the film off the desks with a wet towel. It leaves a nice clean smell

I squirt a very little amount on top of the desks, and the kids know to use only their finger to smooth it out. Too much wiping and spreading with their hands melts the shaving cream, and I don't do refills if it disappears on their desks.

I've never had allergy issues. The kids wash their hands afterwards, so I would think if this was an issue, the soap they use would also cause problems--?

Anyways, my students work hard during the week so that we can have "Crazy Cursive" on Fridays with the shaving cream. That time really does help the kids become more focused on letter formation--maybe it's because I've told them that there's something magical about practicing in shaving cream

Have fun!
LindaR
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote

AussieBird

Spelling in shaving cream
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have tried this and found some children rubbed their eyes with hands covered in shaving cream so I've decided to give it up.

It can be costly as well as messy. In Oz we need permission notes from parents to use sun block at school so I think shaving cream would need one too.

Here's a Play-doh idea I found on a teacher's website:
Attached Files
File Type: doc Play doh spelling.doc (137.5 KB, 60 views)
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote

SCYSR

mess
Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Shaving cream leaves a film and even the unscented ones smell a bit. But the kids love it! If you go onto a sensory website, you could find foam soap which is similar consistency.

SCYSR is offline   Reply With Quote

SLP071287

Shaving Cream
Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think shaving cream is a great idea. You should try it but explain to them that if they make a mess then they will not be allowed to play with the shaving cream ever again. Sometimes this motivates them to focus on the words they need to do so they can play with it again. The whole allergy thing with the shaving cream...you might want to send out a letter to parents sort of asking permission to use shaving cream. most of the generic shaving creams are good as long as you buy the unscented kinds. You would probably want to wait to do the spelling words until you have the permission slips from the parents saying that their child is or is not allergic to shaving cream. I have always loved the idea of shaving cream spelling words. If thre is a child that is allergic have the spell with noodles of some kind they are fun too. Have fun with it!
SLP071287 is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love shaving cream and use it with my 5th graders all the time. You do have to lay down the rules and the law so that they act appropriately. It's a privilege, not a right.
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

BoSox_Fan

check with nurse
Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We aren't allowed to use shaving cream because the nurse doesn't have a hazardous materials form for it. If it isn't approved by the county (or district) we need to have it on file in the nurse's office in case of a reaction, eye contact or consumption. I'd check first. Salt boxes work well and aren't hazardous!
BoSox_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

cheryl romer

kinders love it
Old 07-09-2008, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

so do their parents as it easily washes out of clothes if it gets on them
cheryl romer is offline   Reply With Quote
Kinder Kraze

Kinder Kraze

Shaving Cream fun
Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I bought cheap cookie sheets from the dollar store and I squirt the shaving cream on there that way there is no mess outside of the cookie sheets. I am going to try the pudding idea I think the kids would really enjoy this one!

I also have ziplock bags with hair gel in them to practice writing. My kinders love all of these things! The more tactile and hands on the better!!