Help

ARCHIVE

Inflected Endings

>

moonlight

Inflected Endings
Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a really effective way to teach inflected endings? I'm especially interested in -ed and -ing endings.

moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

"ed" endings
Old 03-24-2008, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

for "ed" endings I made two columns on chart paper (sounds like "d" and sounds like "t"). Basically, everytime my kids found a word that ended in ed, they would write it on a sticky note and put it under the appropriate column. We would talk about the words and I would add them in marker to our chart. Before this, we talked about words that end in "ed" and I constantly reiterated to them that whenever a word ends in "ed" it means that something has "already happened." We thought of several words together jump vs. jumped walk vs. walked look vs. looked, etc. I also include ed words in DOL and daily news. A lot of times I will put a d or t at the end of the words instead of an "ed" and I see if the kids are able to notice that it needs to be fixed. After constant re-teaching of this concept, I can finally say that my kids are getting it and they are applying it to their writing (no more d or t) As far as "ing" I have been teaching this ending since the beginning of the year. This is one that they picked up fairly quickly.
Hope this makes sense!
teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

carroll

ed ending
Old 03-24-2008, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the chart with post it notes idea but I would add the third sound of ed as in "ed." like in wicked.
carroll is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 03-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You know...I never thought to add that third column and I am suprised my kiddos haven't brought up any words tha end in that. Thanks for the little tip!
teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

AlohaJenn

3 sounds of "ed" plus the 1-1-1 doubling rule
Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As the previous poster mentioned there are 3 sounds and I'm not sure if you wanted to bring up the 1-1-1 doubling rule: before adding -ed, or -ing, double the final consonant if the word has 1 syllable and 1 consonant that follows 1 short vowel.

I think that was it. It's spring break, so the mind is on vacation...

I would post a worksheet I have, but I'm still a new member.

AlohaJenn is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Someone talked about the 'ed' brothers and the 'ing' brothers once upon a time. When the 'ing' brothers are invited anywhere, they are always on time--things are happening right now. The 'ed' brothers on the other hand can't seem to get their act together, so they always arrive late--the event already happened. When adding these endings to words with silent/sneaky e, my kids know that the e and a vowel suffix don't get along in the same neighborhood, so the e moves away (is dropped) before adding the vowel suffix.
liberty teach is online now   Reply With Quote
Topsy

Topsy

1-2-3-4 rule for adding "ed" and "ing"
Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The 1-2-3-4 rule may be what someone in an earlier post referred to as the 1-1-1 rule.
Start by numbering the first vowel in the word with a number "1" above it. The next letter "2", the third letter "3", and the ending should start with always start with the #4. If there aren't enought letters to keep the vowel short, you would need to double the consonant before the ending. In the case of a word ending in an "e" before an "ing" ending, the dropped letter "e" becomes the third letter thus making "ing" the #4 ending once again.
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
i.e. h a n d ed i.e. c o n n ed

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
i.e. c a n n ing i.e. p l a n t ing i.e. s a v (e) ing
Topsy

Topsy

1-2-3-4 rule for ed and ing endings
Old 04-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Unfortunately, all the numbers shifted in my earlier post. Just start with the first vowel in each word.