Help

ARCHIVE

Study Island

>

act56

Study Island
Old 03-25-2008, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does your school use Study Island? How is it working for you?

I have a couple of concerns that maybe some of you could put to rest for me.
I am really glad my students like this program (the game aspect) but is it really helping or not? We have been getting printouts from the administration regarding scores. Overall, (school,not my class) is getting about 67%. This seems low to me considering this is supposed to be "test practice". Just wondered if I am over-reacting?!!

act56 is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieG04

act56
Old 03-25-2008, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school uses it and has for several years. We primarily use it as a supplement to other instruction and testing practice, so I don't stress too much over low scores. However, there is a way to set Study Island so that students have to work on a specific objective and you can block access to games (if memory serves) for that objective. You can also change the difficulty for individual students to make it easier or harder to pass the objective. My school offers a review of Study Island each year for the teachers so we can hopefully remember how to do all this!

I like Study Island for practice fo the students, but I agree that too many of them just want to play games and don't really care if their answers are correct or not.
JulieG04 is offline   Reply With Quote

julie_ann_

We use it---
Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do have a few of mine that wanted just to play the games instead of answer the questions. But, I put the games rule or whatever on 60 or 70% for them to be able to play the games. If they have a lower percent than that, it makes them go through just the plain questions to bring their grade up. It does help those who love the computer,though!
julie_ann_ is offline   Reply With Quote

mshelbyk

Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have my children work on study island as part of their homework (we are lacking computers in school). At first they weren't doing so well, then I got smart! I started requiring that they earn blue ribbons. I can't find the critera for earning a ribbon right now, but they earn a blue ribbon when they've successfully finished a subtest of each subject. Scores went up dramatically when I started doing this.

Also, remember that scores are cumulative. If a child scores poorly and then get's a 100%, that score is averaged...It takes a while to get a score up once that happens. I monitor the children.. If they haven't taken it seriously, I'll delete their scores and make them start over. See the help section/reference manual for directions on how to wipe out a subtest score.

We also offer rewards: study island pencil for 10 blue ribbons and a study island bracelet and name on the morning announcements when they've earned all the blue ribbons in the subject. For my state it's 20 for math and 19 for reading.
mshelbyk is offline   Reply With Quote

gohawks

no games
Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use study island in our building, but the games are all blocked. I was frustrated with that in the beginning of the year because I would occasionally allow them to do the games as a reward, but I ended up loving the fact that they cannot do the games. Study island helped my kids to realize how the questions are asked and how to eliminate answers. I would make my kids go back and redo the tests if they did not pass to ensure mastery. If all of my students had problems with the same question or area, I would stop and do a mini-lesson or make note of it and focus on that area later in the day.

gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote

act56

thanks for all these thoughts....
Old 03-28-2008, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am trying to work through the teacher page.
So far I cannot figure out how to adjust/or block
anything. I am trying to go through the HELP
section to do this. I think I may just have to
work on this during the summer.
act56 is offline   Reply With Quote

2bateacher

STudy Island
Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am new to third and do not know a lot about study island. We use it at my school for a specials rotation. It is run by a lead teacher, and the students get about 20 minutes twice a week. I like it because the teacher is able to focus on the concepts that we are working on in class. I do not worry about the scores because it is used as supplemental practice. The student's are also able to access from home which is great for those kids who do it. My school feels it is a very worthwhile investment, and it seems to have high interest for the kids. I see some rushing to get to the games though and maybe not focusing on each question enough.
2bateacher is offline   Reply With Quote
ESullivan

ESullivan

Study island
Old 04-18-2015, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I feel your pain! My class "average" is around a 60-something, too. The questions can be very tough. Though that is a good thing to make them think, I had even struggled with precisely what the question is asking. (thanks, Common Core). I made challenges for my kids & sent notes home about this.

Ultimately, the ones who wanted the Blue Ribbons and had home support which pushed them did well. The best I can hope is that it provided exposure (I hate to even say that) for the upcoming state test. I had a few who we're doing very well; I have to look at that fact, as well. I also recently had my kids go in and "grow:" they had to take "BBs or Bs" to Ps or As. Most did show growth.

Now, is it enough to reflect when they take their test? I can only hope. Overall, I feel it's been a great supplement. Yet, the questions require at times a lot of reading, and that is where my kids (a Lower math group) struggle. :/