million dollar math project - ProTeacher Community

Riateach

million dollar math project
Old 04-19-2006, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for information on the million dollar math project. I have seen it listed. The students get 1 million to spend. Does anyone do this and have information??
thanks

Linda H

Million Dollar Math
Old 04-20-2006, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do this project every year but have made changes to the amounts of money due to inflation. I will have to send it to you snail mail as I cannot sent with pro teacher. It is best to give some guidelines to the spending or the kids will just spend and select worthless items just to get rid if the money. Here are a few of the ideas. The class must do the following :

1. Put $25,000 away for college
2. Buy 1 home not over $250,000 no other real estate advenetures.
3. Buy only three of the same items
4. Buy stocks or bonds with a limited amount
5. Keep a running tally of expenses.
6. Take one family vacation ( spending money, travel expense, hotel,
meals, etc.
7. Place everything in a decorative folder.

My class has planned a wedding, a party for their classmates, a class trip, etc.
Good luck,
Linda
Ucfteacher

Ucfteacher

Million dollar project
Old 04-23-2006, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This project takes about three weeks. All of my students needed access to a computer to look up prices. I only have three computers in my room. I would not do this project again unless I had enough computers for my entire class.

Wanda

I used the newspaper
Old 04-30-2006, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was in High School, my teacher got a class subscription of a fairly large newspaper. At that time our limit was $500. Have times changed since then. We bought and sold stocks and bonds and checked them on a daily basis. At the end of three weeks, we calculated our profit or losses.
Math

Math

Math Mania
Old 05-08-2006, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The Million dollar project is when you have a million dollars and have to spend it all to the last pennie. You can't buy a cell phone because you would have to pay the bills on it. You get thirty checks and have to use at least 20 of them. You only write one check at a store, not one check for each thing you buy unless it is at different stores, or magizines. Keep a checkbook Registry to show your work. Be sure that for every check you have, have a picture, quantity and total price.

sbelle45

million dollar math project
Old 05-21-2006, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am interested in seeing some solutions/results of this project. I have gone back to college (working on 3rd degree), and I have heard about this math project. The one I heard was spend the whole one million dollars, be sure to figure the tax on items, only spend up to a half a million on a home, cannot exceed $200,000.00 on a car, and not to exceed $100,000.00 on any particular item. As you can determine from these instructions, the students cannot purchase more than one of each different kind of item. However, I would certainly appreciate any examples showing a (or a couple, if you can) results/answers to this. I am compiling a teacher's "Fun with Money" activity folder for a mock classroom. Thank you very much, in advance, for your time and effort. My email address is drmaharris2003@yahoo.com

Linda H

Million dollars to spend
Old 05-31-2006, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hope this is what you want.
ONE MILLION DOLLAR SPENDING PROJECT
Several children have requested some extra credit work now that we have reached our last unit of study in math. This million dollar spending project is a lot of fun for the entire family and can help you late in life make good choices, plus you can unit price items. The project is optional but there will be prizes for the children that complete the project.
Congratulations! You have just been given $1,000,000. If you do not spend it in the allotted time, you must return it. Here is what you must do. Please follow the rules below. As you complete each item, check it off on the table. Hand in this paper with your name on it so I can return it to you with a comment. Do not write in the comment section at this time. This project is due on ________ _______________________________ ______
Happy spending,
Mrs. Hess
Check off as completed
1. _____. Put $50,000 in a savings account Must do
2. _____ Put $75,000 away for college Must do
3. _____ If you desire purchase a money market up to $30,000. Not required
4. _____ Take your whole family on a vacation. Remember to include transportation, hotels, meals, and spending money Must do
5. _____ Purchase a house but not over $250,000. Buy ONLY (1) ONE house no lot no income property, no second home Must do
6. _____ Give money away to charity but not over $100,000 (You are not charity nor your relatives or pets) Must do
7. _____ Find pictures and/or prices from the newspaper, flyers, magazines, catalogs, etc. for the things you buy. Do not forget to put down the price and total each sheet of paper. Must do
8. _____ You may only purchase up to three (3) of the same item. (Unit pricing)
9. _____ Use the enclosed tally sheet to total up your expenses. List a grand total on the last sheet. You will need to use a calculator. Must do
10. _____ Design an attractive cover for your project and staple or place in a folder. Must do
Name _____________________________ Date turned in_________________________
Comment by Mrs. Hess:

$1,000,000.00 Credit/Debit ( do an excel chart which did not copy well for me to share. I can try another method to get it to you. Let me know

deposit $1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Savings
account 5 0 0 0 0 0 0
- $9 5 0 0 0 0 0 0
College
fund 7 5 0 0 0 0 0
- $8 8 5 0 0 0 0 0
Money Market 3 0 0 0 0 0 0
- $8 5 0 0 0 0 0 0
Bought House $2 5 0 0 0 0 0 0
- $6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Linda H

Million Dollar Math
Old 07-24-2006, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

3rd with a high group and fourth with any level. It's a fun wy to spend money but guidance is needed to not just spend money to get rid of it. That's why there are limitations on the spending.. Sometimes you have to model the lesson with examples of spending. Get the high priced items out of the way quickly as it is easy to spend that kind of money. Then go for the remainder of the money with suggestions like a new wardrobe, re-decorate your bedroom, have a celebration party, etc. have fun

LInda

Linda H

Million Dollar MAth
Old 08-09-2006, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hope this is what you want.
ONE MILLION DOLLAR SPENDING PROJECT

Congratulations! You have just been given $1,000,000. If you do not spend it in the allotted time, you must return it. Here is what you must do. Please follow the rules below. As you complete each item, check it off on the table. Hand in this paper with your name on it so I can return it to you with a comment. Do not write in the comment section at this time. This project is due on ________ _______________________________ ______
Happy spending,
Mrs. Hess
Check off as completed

1. _____. Put $50,000 in a savings account Must do
2. _____ Put $75,000 away for college Must do
3. _____ If you desire purchase a money market up to $30,000. Not required
4. _____ Take your whole family on a vacation. Remember to include transportation, hotels, meals, and spending money Must do
5. _____ Purchase a house but not over $250,000. Buy ONLY (1) ONE house no lot no income property, no second home Must do
6. _____ Give money away to charity but not over $100,000 (You are not charity nor your relatives or pets) Must do
7. _____ Find pictures and/or prices from the newspaper, flyers, magazines, catalogs, etc. for the things you buy. Do not forget to put down the price and total each sheet of paper. Must do
8. _____ You may only purchase up to three (3) of the same item. (Unit pricing)
9. _____ Use the enclosed tally sheet to total up your expenses. List a grand total on the last sheet. You will need to use a calculator. Must do
10. _____ Design an attractive cover for your project and staple or place in a folder. Must do
Name _____________________________ Date turned in_________________________
Comment by Mrs. Hess:

$1,000,000.00 Credit/Debit ( do an excel chart which did not copy well for me to share. I can try another method to get it to you. Let me know

deposit $1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Savings
account 5 0 0 0 0 0 0
- $9 5 0 0 0 0 0 0
College
fund 7 5 0 0 0 0 0
- $8 8 5 0 0 0 0 0
Money Market 3 0 0 0 0 0 0
- $8 5 0 0 0 0 0 0
Bought House $2 5 0 0 0 0 0 0
- $6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
klindah

klindah

Million dollars to spend
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What do you mean by "I don't know how to spend 1/2 of it?" Gather magazines and flyers and start spending, put things in categories. After you spend the must do,)savings, college, purchase one home (they can cost a million, but as a student be reasonable) and/or the remaining money with purchases of no more than three items of the same thing (3 computers) etc

my5kidsiluv

my5kidsiluv

million dollar project
Old 05-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

this is my second year doing this with my kids. it is a very intense project and requires a good amount of research for a successful turnout. they have price research, log entries, accounting sheets, and pie graphs. this project does teach them the importance of allocating funds properly and what impact it could have on society and themselves. Kids come up with some great ideas and it show us where there interest lies.

cailee

cailee

i have info.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

you have to pick a building that you want to make ex. sweet 16, pet shelter, school , hair salon, dream house ya you can make you up

then you look up the prices from the internet, news paper, calling the buiness'

then you make a ex. in a binder, folder,bilton bourd, cardbourd..

you give your left over money (only if you got everything) to charity!!!!

bye-bye hope that helped!!!!!

Cailee symon

Anissa

Anissa

Milion Dollar Project
Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Try doing build my dream home. Its the easiest one to do. You don't have to contact anyone for this topical. Just use the adds in the papers and different websites for stores. Good luck

Ms. Banks

Ms. Banks

million dollar project
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My class did very creativethings for their million dollar project. The two major items you should buy are a home and a car. My class was not aloud to buy more then 1 of the same items or things that are in the same catgory, for exspample you can't buy two dogs even of a diffrent breed. Also you are not aloud to invest or give your money to charity. You have to get 5 dollars away from a million dollars or less. If you get a dollar away from the million you get five extra points. My sister (Tyra) helped me come up with this stuff.

gr.5 student

gr.5 student

million dollar project
Old 11-10-2009, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

i am doing the million dollar project. you imagine you inherited 1 million dollars, and you pick a topic to spend it on i.e., open a ballet studio, open a horse farm, etc.. then you write up a plan about how you will spend according to your topic. next, you search the internet, newspapers, books, use the telephone, and other ways of reaserching to find out how much it will cost to buy everything you need. then you put it on posterboard, a display board, or in a booklet and present it to the teacher/class on the due date. we have a month to do thius project. there is a checkpoint to make sure we are doing it every week.

gr.5 student

gr.5 student

million dollar project
Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Does the school you work at have a computer lab? if so, try to schedule a time for your class to go in. if you don't, i'm assuming you have about twenty students, so divided by the five school days of the week, that is four students a day on the computer for, say, 30 minutes each. i am a student working on this project and apart from the computer i have found newspapers very useful. i could have done this whole project without the computer. i know i girl in my class that researched the cost of spider monkeys online (even though there are other ways, you know how this generation is crazy for technology) and then actually called someone and asked how much to buy the building they were selling to use for her animal shelter. i just thought you would want to know this. if you need a rubric, let me know and i can type it up for you. when you answer, i will type and post it as soon as possible.
thanks and your welcome, gr.5 student

Nikol

Nikol

Million Dollar Project
Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Accually, I already got my million dollars spent. It isnt as hard as you would think. With those million dollars your supposed to make a buisness. Any buisness you want. You have to buy everything for the buisness. Rent space (or build building), buy supplies, and furniture. When you've bought everything, you start your model of the building or poster. I hope I gave you more info.

NIKOL

HELLO

HELLO

A slightly better bit of info.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

ONE MILLION DOLLAR PROJECT Name: ______________

Congratulations! You have just been given $1,000,000.
But here’s the catch. If you do not spend it in the allotted time, you must return it. You are required to purchase specific items, but you will have money left over to buy other items as you wish. As you complete each requirement, check it off on the list. Your final project must include, an informational sheet about each item that you would like to buy, the tracking sheet, and a cover sheet. Each informational sheet must have a picture, description, and cost of your item, along with a short explanation of why you decided to purchase this item. Staple this paper to the back of your final project with your name on it so I can return it to you with a grade. This project is due this Friday, May 7th, 2010.
Happy spending,
Mr. Hunt
Items you must include / buy.
1. Home
2. Mode of Transportation
3. Vacation – (include all expenses)
4. An Investment (stocks/bonds/property)
5. Further Education
6. Give to a charity
Other Rules:

_____ For your vacation include all expenses, i.e. transportation, hotels, meals, and
spending money.

_____ Your house cannot cost over $250,000. Use a realty website and find a home that is currently for sale that you would like. Include all information about the house on it’s expense page.

_____ Give money away to charity but not over $100,000.
(You are not charity nor your relatives or pets)

_____ You must purchase a total of ten items (this means 10 informational pages).

_____ You may not purchase more than three (3) of the same item

_____ Use the enclosed tracking sheet to total up your expenses. Make sure to calculate
your grand total ($1,000,000)

_____ Design an attractive cover for your project and staple together all informational pages of your project together and include this on the back.

Date turned in _________________________

TRACKING SHEET

ITEM DESCRIPTION COST RUNNING TOTAL

Must have at least ten.

GRAND TOTAL TOTAL MUST EQUAL
$1,000,000

dancegirl11

dancegirl11

Million Dollar Math Project
Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My math class and I turned in our Million Dollar Project!!! It was so fun!!! You got to pick out things you want to buy. They can buy no more than two of the same thing. You will learn how to and write checks and deposit slips. the money the kid has left over goes to a charity, college fund, or a savings account. My class could have no more than 5,000 dollars put into that. But that is actually up to you. You should pick a due date too. When the kids have gotten there project complete they will make a cover and put together a book. I hope this Information helps you! Good luck and hope you do this project because like I said, it is so fun!!!! =)

Math?Me?

An alternative
Old 08-01-2010, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My math teacher used this as a 7th grade project when I was in school. I am teaching 5th grade and will use it as an estimation exercise. Every item will be rounded to the nearest dollar, but actual amounts will be recorded as well. At the end of the project, exact and estimated prices will be compared. Because of the age of the students I will not give them the stocks and bonds/savings account restrictions.

I would appreciate anyone's feedback on this! Too easy? Too hard? Not specific enough?