How much $ to pay housekeeper - ProTeacher Community

saraebeth

How much $ to pay housekeeper
Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

per hour? I have a new gal doing my apartment today and needless to say with being sick it hasn't had a deep clean since sometime in January. How much would you say I should pay her per hour? She doesn't speak English ANy ideas?

shuntyswife

Back in the day...
Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used to clean houses with a company to save up $ for college. We based pay on the size of the house and the duties. For example, windows, dishes, and washing sheets (my least fav) were extra. Is your apartment like a big loft or a standard size apartment?

saraebeth

it's a standard
Old 03-30-2008, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

one bedroom one bath apartment, not too tiny but decent size

chronicfun

Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Back when I was married, we had a housekeeper come in once a month. This was 5 or 6 years ago and I paid $75 for her to clean a 3br 2bath house (basic stuff.....counters, floors,dust, etc...). She was there around 3-4 hours. I would say around $50-$60 total. Personally I wouldn't pay by the hour, but by the job. If it's by the hour she could dawldle just to get more money. But, that's just me.

shuntyswife

Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If she's going to do standard cleaning: baseboards, vaccuuming, dusting (ceiling fans too), kitchen, and bathroom I think anwhere from $35-50 would be sufficient. You may pay her extra for a 'first time' cleaning, then less for her weekly or biweekly visits. Our 'first time' cleanings were usually the hardest!

She probably has a standard fee if this is something she does. I hope this helps.

linda2671

$20 an hour
Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had surgery last summer, and my principal hired someone to come and clean my house for me. I found out that she paid them $20 an hour. They stayed 4 hours. How's that for a good boss?

Lola3

Merry Maids
Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have them clean my house once a month. It's $123 for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment. It would be $98 each time if they came twice a month and or $85 per week. I tried to look for a cheaper company but I would only save maybe $10. I decided on Merry Maids because it's a company I feel I could trust since there such a large corporation. It's very expensive though. I'm not sure how much longer I'll continue. It's soooo nice though when you come home to a spotless house and you didn't do any of the work. I just do light cleaning the rest of the month.

tia

housekeeper
Old 03-30-2008, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

i am so avoiding finishing my report cards!

i wish my house were "clean enough" to start a housekeeper---it would probably be a $1,000 first-time cleaning! yikes!

*definitely the first time, i'd pay more. $50? and then $30 after?

here's what i know---most housecleaners will tell you what they charge--depending on time, usually--$X per hour. if you say i have $X to spend each month/week, some cleaners will tell you what they'll do.

if you have the cleaner come once a week, it will be cheaper than what they'll have you pay to come one every 2 weeks or once a month. (well, you'll pay more, but it will be less each time--does that make sense?)

wow! $20 an hour sounds pretty cheap!

i would never use Merry Maids after reading Nickel and Dimed (book a gal wrote after spending about a year trying to make a living as an "unskilled laborer"--she works at walmart, merry maids, and other places trying to get by---she did this years before the McDonald's 30-day guy did his experiment. (she found out that she couldn't do it.) also, she paints a pretty dirty picture of MM's.

Maestra

Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think it depends on the area in which you live. I have had 2 different housekeepers and each one had an hourly charge BUT they also gave an estimate of how many hours it would take to clean your home/apt.

My current lady charges us $20 per hour for 3 hours. The more often she does it, the less time it takes her so she will throw in some added duties each time. I know that she charges some people $25 per hour if they have a lot of knick-knacks (i.e. clutter) because it is more work for her.

You should check with people who live around you to see what they are paying.

A negative thing I have found with cleaning services such as Merry Maids is that they can't guarantee that the same team or even one of the people will be cleaning your house each time.

jch

Cleaning
Old 03-30-2008, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Am I ever glad I finished my report cards before spring break started a week ago!

I pay our cleaning lady $140/month. She comes once a week, but some weeks she spends more time than others. It averages out.

I love it, and wouldn't want to be without her.
dkd1173

dkd1173

$50
Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We pay ours $50 each time she comes (not by the hour!) She comes twice a month and I think we are getting a great deal. I soooo wish I could afford to have her come every week!