Help

Forget-me-not Room

"Sounder"

>

comet

"Sounder"
Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wondering what traits this book cover. I have not read the book yet, but will be using it for a 6th grade class.
Thanks.

Comet

mein10

Read it.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Read the book before you read it to your class. You'll be so much more prepared to discuss it. However, as you read it watch for great word choice, fluency, and voice. Have the kids watch for tools of organization such as transition words. How does the author move the story from time to time, or place to place. What is the IDEA that flows through the story?

Do you have a list of traits up in your classroom? Have the kids tell you what traits THEY find as you read. That's the key. They need to start to find examples of the traits. Try making a huge poster on chart paper. Write the six traits as headings. Have the kids record examples of them as they read. You'll be shocked once they get started. This would be great way to use sticky notes! Make a big chart and lable it "Powerful Vocabulary". Have kids record strong verbs, figurative language, adjectives, etc. That is an easy way to teach Word Choice through read alouds or independent reading.

comet

Old 03-30-2008, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your great ideas. I am reading the book along with surfing PT, ha,ha. I think reading the book will be a wonderful experience for my students. the traits still scare me, I never have enough time to get them in, so trying to tie the traits into other areas of our curriculum.

Comet

icare

Great Idea - thanks Joanna
Old 04-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love the idea of making a different chart for each trait. Now that we've almost studied them all - working on Sentence Variety this month - it would be great for a wrap up in May. I think I'll post the charts around the room and as they read an example they can put their post it on the chart.