Teacher Weaknesses question - ProTeacher Community

short_bread

Teacher Weaknesses question
Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I am going to be graduating with my masters degree in may in elementary education (connecticut, USA). I am going to start interviewing this week, and I know that SOMEONE is going to ask me this question (or something similar)

What are your weaknesses as a teacher?

Have I got plenty? of course! I'm new... the problem is, what are some "good" weaknesses that can be addressed through professional development. I don't want to say I'm weak in a content area (because no one wants to hear that, and making it obvious isn't going to help my cause) and I don't want to say that I am over ambitious and take too much on sometimes because I think this is a pretty sub par answer that a lot of people use. Do you have any suggestions?

Right now I am making a list of my strengths and weaknesses and seeing if I can pull from that.

Thank You

Kate

short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

1gr81ntheus

Professional Development
Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My weakness truly is professional development. It's more like one of my hobbies to stay energized and up-to-date on current trends. It also helps you to connect with others and swap ideas, like real professionals do. Why work on an island? Invite others into your life.
1gr81ntheus is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher07

Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Lack of experience It's true but when said right doesn't sound like a bs answer
AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Gators

weakness
Old 03-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In the interview for my current job I said my weakness as a new teacher was having some many great ideas (from books, college, etc) and wanting to use them all! I said my goal was to find the best practices for my students and never stop learning on my own. Good luck....

one hint: my collegues asked the question what I found difficult about the grade level...one person interviewing for the job said that this grade level had no difficulties and was an easy grade. Needless to say she didn't get the job.

Good luck with your interviews!
Go Gators is offline   Reply With Quote

linny22

no weaknesses here ; )
Old 03-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was told to say "lack of experience, but willingness to learn" (put a positive spin on your weakness.

linny22 is offline   Reply With Quote

EnglishTchr

weaknesses
Old 03-31-2008, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am in my third year teaching, so I realize my answers may be a little different, but these are the things I am considering to answer that question: "I spend entirely too much of my own money on my classroom!" and "I do tend to over-plan, especially with the things I am the most passionate about." I don't think it is "phoney" sounding, because it is absolutely true! With Shakespeare this year, I wanted my students to experience writing with a goose feather quill pen so that they could see what it was like to write way back in the 16th century. I finally found the quill pens, ink, and antique parchment paper. The lesson went beautifully, but I had to sqeeze it in, and I had to leave out some other great lessons I really wanted to do in this unit. I took pictures to put in my portfolio, to back up my over-planning statement.
EnglishTchr is offline   Reply With Quote
purple

purple

science guy
Old 04-20-2008, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Did you buy feathers or find in the park or at a goose farm...

EnglishTchr

pens
Old 04-21-2008, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Bought them online (tips already carved perfectly) from a museum's store.
EnglishTchr is offline   Reply With Quote
natashs

natashs

strengths an weaknesses as ateacher
Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

hi kate i am a teacher for 16 years now graduating with my bachelors in education an d i also have my strengths and weaknesses. One of my strength is the methods i used and i am very open minded. i am able to give advices to any pupil who needs help. I love teaching.