Help

ARCHIVE

Mother's Day Gifts

>

sheilagey

Mother's Day Gifts
Old 04-05-2008, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any thoughts? I wanted to get things together because it will be here before you know it. What did you all do last year? I would like to have them plant flowers.
But I might be too late for that.

TerryT

Recipe booklet
Old 04-05-2008, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did this last year and you don't have to make it too fancy or complicated. I had each of them think of something their mothers made that was their favorite and then showed them the format of a recipe. The idea wasn't to have the correct recipe and all ingredients neatly typed up and bound. It was to have students tell in their own words how they thought the favorite dish/item was prepared and what it contained.The results are pretty cute!
You could have them each give the one recipe to their mom or make a class booklet.
Last year I was short of time (and hadn't thought ahead like you) and so just had them neatly print the recipe on nice paper and mounted it on construction paper.

freckleface

We did
Old 04-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Breakfast in Bed in a Bag. We put a tea bag, or hot chocolate, a breakfast bar, pretty napkin, and pretty paper cup in a decorated bag with a poem glued on the front. Got lots of nice comments about it from the moms. It was easy. I think the idea for it came from PT!

garnet

magnets
Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went to Michael's and for 25c each bought those wooden flowers for the students to paint. I then shellacked them and they put their picture in the middle. I then put a strip of magnet on the back so they had refrigerator magnet. They kids loved these and they were simple but did take a couple of days due to drying time.

tiffglrl

Recipe books
Old 04-06-2008, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For the past couple of years I have put together recipe books. I tell the students to think about what their favorite recipe is. Depending on the grade level I will have them write down what they think goes in the recipe, then the directions for the recipe (how much of each ingredient, how long to cook, etc.) I then type the recipes into a word document and then copy and bind it together for the moms.
If I have trouble reading their writing I will call each student up and ask them to tell me what they wrote and to ask further questions if needed. It takes about 2-3 days to gather the information, then about an hour to copy and bind it together...but I think it is worth it. The parents love the idea, and some of the recipes are just plain funny!! In years past I have had everything from hot dogs, to smoothies, to cakes and cookies! It is a lot of fun to see how the kids think about food and what goes into the prep! Good luck.

ee

Mothers Day project
Old 04-06-2008, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I cut tagboard long enough to wrap around a 4"x4" post-it pad with a little left over for a flap. Then we glued the post-it pad in the middle and folded the bottom up and the top down. We put a stick-on piece of velcro on the top and bottom flaps to close the tagboard cover and then drew pictures and/or stamped designs on it to make a post-it notebook for Mom's purse or glove compartment. They turned out really cute.

TTT

seeds
Old 04-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We're attempting to grow morning glories from seed.

alicej

mothers day
Old 04-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

every year my kids make bowls using recycled paper and a hard plastic bowl as a template on earth day, april 22. Once the bowl is made, they paint it and then I shellac it. I buy hershey kisses and colored saran wrap, on clearance now from easter. they wrap their bowl with kisses and saran wrap. After they eat the chocolate, the bowl becomes a change dish. I have done this for several years and the kids look forward to it.

brigita

Old 04-06-2008, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Freckleface,

Your idea sounds cute! Do you have the poem that goes with it? I would like to use it. Thanks in advance! ~Brigid

freckleface

Brigid
Old 04-07-2008, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here it is:

Breakfast in Bed

Since it is your day,
I have something to say:

Don't lift your head.
Have breakfast in bed!

Just take a look...
You don't have to cook!

I don't like to brag
But it's breakfast in a bag!

I love you!
Happy Mother's Day 2008!

coolbeans

I like to go to Big Lots, Wal-Mart, etc.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

and buy the foam cut outs to make picture frames. The students decorate the frames with pre-cut foam designs and I place their pictures in the frames. Of course, we make cards too.

Applicious

Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have the students bring in a picture of their mom. I scan it into the computer & the students use the lasso tool to "cut out" their mother's face. The student write a saying about their mother such as "Mom... you are as beautiful as a peacock!" Then they would use a painting/drawing computer program to use their mom's face and paint the body of a peacock with it. They also type up a couple of other sentences like Happy Mother's Day, etc. The mother's have really gotten a kick out of these!!

javateacher

moms day
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We make beaded key chains - They love it, but unsure as how much the moms do.

christina4062

We make an "All About Mom" poster thing
Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've attached a link to the file that we make moms. You give the kids the attached piece of paper and they fill in the blanks. They cut it out and glue it to a piece of construction paper. Above the writing, they draw a picture of their mom on a piece of white paper and glue it above the writing.

I laminate them. Last year was my first year teaching and we made these... the moms loved them!

http://www.teacherweb.com/MI/Central...llaboutmom.pdf

lgeiger

Mother's Day gift
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

For the past 2 years my classes have planted flowers. I rewards students for behavior with individual pringles. I keep the white plastic cups. I then use them for Mother's Day. I spray paint them pink. Hot glue lace ribbon around the top and add flower stickers to them. The students then plant a small flower in the cup. It is easy and cheap. THe kids have loved it, but I have to remind them that they will need to eventually take the flower out and plant it in a bigger container. The kids also create a card to go with it.

Little Flower

Pringles planters
Old 04-09-2008, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

In the past I have done something very similar to your idea. We plant the seeds in the Pringles cups and then I hot glue the cups to the center of a small colored paper plate to which they add lace, ribbons, pearls, whatever I have around the base of the Pringles cup....and they look like fancy hats with the flower coming out of the top. Really cute and we are recycling too!

Deb3Girls

Mom's Day gift
Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I buy cheap small pots from Michael's and paint them red and the top rim green. Then we sponge paint over them with pink and lite green paint. With sharpie we make little watermelon seeds around the pot- It looks like a watermelon! We fill them with hugs and kisses candies and tie it up with pink/red cellophane. Then tie with raffia and print a tag that says" Hugs and Kisses from your little sprout"- I also include a cute picture on a small green construction paper leaf-

They are really adorable- Really easy to do too!

SueSue

Wheelbarrow Planter
Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I save up detergent scoops and milk jug lids to use for Mother's Day gifts. Each student needs: 1 detergent scoop, 2 milk jug lids, 1 piece of ribbon, 1 plant or seeds. The students tacky glue a milk jug lid to the bottom of each side of the detergent scoop. This should make the scoop look like a little wheelbarrow. (Make sure that the "wheels" are not holding the weight of the plant. They need to just look like they are at the bottom. ei...Learned the hard way!!!) Then, they tie a ribbon around the handle into a bow. I buy a flat of flowers and they choose what they want and plant it in their wheelbarrow. It planned ahead of time, the students could plant seeds instead of buying plants.

Mrs. G

Check out...
Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

this collection on the archive page.

http://www.proteacher.org/c/284_Moth..._Projects.html

teachnguate

Old 04-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This is what my class made last year (if you can see the picture because I had to shrink it). They are magnets with each child's picture on them. The back is a flat wooden circle that I got (cheap) at the craft store. Each child painted their circle. Then they glued foam flower cut-outs along the edge. For the center of the flowers we hole-punched foam sheets and glued the tiny circles in the middle of each flower. I glued a strong magnet on the back with my "industrial" strength glue. They turned out really, really great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proteacher-cag_pictures_019.jpg (51.9 KB, 106 views)