want to learn - ProTeacher Community

mollsmum

want to learn
Old 04-05-2008, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,
Can someone suggest a book that I can get that will teach me how to do writing in third grade. I am coming from First but that was years ago. I am totally stinky in writing myself and I want to do a good job come September.
Thanks so much!

icare

resources
Old 04-05-2008, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love Razzle Dazzle, 6 Traits + 1 ...also Reggie Routeman's Writing Essentials, and Ralph Flectcher's Writing Crafts.
I love teaching 3rd graders to write.
The best approach (I've found) is to model the idea you're teaching by reading many books to them that have that idea...great beginnnings, endings, word choice, etc. Bring the great examples to their attention. Then have them read their books marking examples with post its and come back and share them and make charts.
They begn to use many of these ideas and then create their own.

mein10

Yes
Old 04-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

if it's Six Traits, then by all means BUY Ruth Culhams, The Complete Guide to Six Traits (for your grade level). It's worth its weight in gold.

I just bought a wonderful book last week called, Making Revision Matter, by Janet Angelillo. I LOVE IT. I needed something that gave me better strategies during revision. It talks about Six Traits, Caulkins, and WW. I love the ideas for giving kids specifics for revision. Check it out!!

Also, for someone just getting started in Six Traits who needs easy to follow mini lessons try this:

Time for Kids 6 + 1 Traits of Good Writing
Publisher: Teacher Created Materials
You can get it for grades 1-2, or 3-4

And of course, keep reading this board! We hope to help lots of people!