Help

ARCHIVE

help with sharing

>

Carolynn

help with sharing
Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our principal really liked the book study that my team did this year. She would like us to share the information with the faculty. We are grateful that she has responded so positively to a book we truly are inspired by however we don't want to present the information to the faculty. Our faculty doesn't respond well to other teachers sharing. So I'm looking for other ways to share that I could suggest to my principal. Any ideas out there?

Angel Star

What?
Old 04-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't believe what I'm reading. Did you say that other teachers don't respond well to other teachers sharing? Why not? I can't for the life of me understand this? Isn't this a wonderful way to learn new things? Whenever someone on my staff goes to a conference, we are almost expected to share what we've learned in some way, big or small.

Just recently, I put together a power point on comprehension strategies. Could you do something like that to make it interesting? I think what other teachers like to learn is how to incorporate it into their own classrooms. Can you do that? I think they also like to be able to try things out on their own...you could add something like that to your presentation...fun activities?

Could the sharing be open to those that want to learn? I would find it hard to believe that the entire faculty feels this way.

Otherwise, could you put something together on paper that people could read if they want to?

Let me know what happens. I am genuinely curious!

NJ Teacher

I agree with the previous poster
Old 04-06-2008, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's really sad when fellow teachers don't recognize and applaud the study and hard work of their colleagues. Of course, you can't refuse to present the information when requested by your principal, so you're kind of stuck. Is there a "make and take" or an application of one of the strategies from the book that you could present to the staff that they could use in most of their classrooms? If not, I would do a PowerPoint and prepare a simple handout that pjeople could take with them. In my school, sharing with the staff is an expectation for the kind of thing you're describing, so it's shocking and disappointing to hear that your colleagues are not interested in growing.

biyubelle

Professional Jealousy??
Old 04-06-2008, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As childish and unprofessional as it seems, I would bet your colleagues resent it because they see it as an attempt on your part to "show off." (Translation: Who do they think they are?) It is a shame if this is the case. Also, some teachers don't value information unless they have had to pay $250 for a 4 hours workshop.

I agree with the others: a powerpoint and handout are the most neutral presentation you could make while still acceding to your principal's request.

Good Luck!

teach & learn

What was
Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

your book study? Just curious!

kmob

I know what you mean
Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I work with teachers who feel that if you are presenting then they are inferior to you, they get resentful, and it becomes difficult. I find that if I
1) have food and goodies at the presentation
2) have something colorful and attention getting
3) present it as, this worked, but what do you think? How can I improve? (even if it is already good, but doing this you are saying your appreciate their opinions and they become less defensive)

I have had much success when I approach my faculty in such a way. I also will pull some of the "positive people" and ask them to disperse themselves, so that there isn't one negative group feeding off each other.

Good luck, what was your book study by the way?