Help

ARCHIVE

Need new system for missing work

>

Relevant

Need new system for missing work
Old 04-05-2008, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I need some ideas for dealing with missing daily assignments from students. As a new teacher, I'm not on top of "catching" everyone who doesn't turn in assignments/homework every day. I've tried reading off names on papers to see who's turned in work for a class period and then writing notes in agendas, but that eats up a lot of class time (10-15 minutes). Sometimes, I don't send home a note till weeks after the assignment was due (though I've given kids notices about the assignments in class and had them complete some things at school). Recently, I've had a couple parents/caretakers of my kids call me at home to ask about directions for late assignments and/or kinda complain about why they didn't receive notification about the missing assignments earlier (I apologized to one caretaker for not sending home the notices earlier). Help! Any ideas for EFFICIENTLY checking to see who's missing assignments/homework and communicating with parents (and then later checking up on the kids to make sure they've turned it in the next day or two?).

teach2reach

Assign numbers
Old 04-05-2008, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my classroom I used to assign each student a number that corresponded to the order they appeared in my gradebook. Each student was required to write his or her number in the top right corner of their paper. Once all papers for a particular assignment were due, I would have a student who had finished his work early order the papers in numerical order. Then, I would have him write each missing number on a post-it note and paperclip it to the stack of papers. (This allowed me to do other things and gave the "I'm done, now what?" students something to do. I would then not remove the stack from my grading bin until I received the missing papers. At the end of the day I would call out who was missing papers. I would then check to see if they turned it in the next morning. If they still had not turned in the missing paper, I would keep them in from PE, recess, or another "fun" class as long as it did not violate any state requirements or upset the other teacher.

*Putting the papers in numerical order also made grading and recording grades much quicker because they all went in order.

Hope this helps!

AZTeacher07

Old 04-05-2008, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use EasyGrade Pro, print off a missing assignment list and packaging tape it to their desk.

Sam5

Missing assignments
Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use the student number system to figure out who is missing work. I have a small section of the board for missing assignments. If your number is missing, I just write your number next to the assignment. If you were absent I write an A(for absent) next to your number. Sometime during the day I grab the student's planner and circle in red the missing assignment. Because I told them at the beginning of the year, parents know that means the assignment is missing. Often I tell the students to put their planners on my desk and that reminds me that I have to circle it. As students turn in the assigments we erase them from the board. On Thursday night I double check that I have everything for the week because students are not allowed to participate in Friday Club if their work is not completed. They have to finish their work. Any work still missing on Monday turns into a zero.

I try to at least check over work the night it was due. I always make sure everything is graded by Monday when I send home their graded papers

pixiemom

Old 04-05-2008, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I too use the number system. I also use Friday folders, which have a section for homework performance. I try to write in the folders every two days, which reminds me to check who is missing what. I also post a chart (I teach 5th) where I check in assignments. Students with free time can immediately see what is missing.

Kermit

Old 04-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach younger students (3rd/4th), but there are a few things I do...

1) If I KNOW some kids won't finish something in the time give, I will write everyone's names on the papers before hand. That way I can look through the pile and easily see who did not get started. This would be for something they need to do, but is one of those things they do independently when other work for the period is finished. For example, a math review sheet after a lesson. I can easily see who did it, and who did not. I've started writing the names first, so I don't have to sift and look to see who didn't get to it.

2) I keep a binder and a running list on the board. Any work not completed during the time given goes into the binder. Their names and the assignment goes on the board. On Thursday we have a work finishing period. Anyone who has finished all their work for the week has free time. If it is not finished Thursday, they have recess Friday to finish. If still not done, it goes home as homework for the weekend due Monday. I email parents if the work goes home.

rebeccav

Rick morris
Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use the number system and some of Rick Morris' strategies (New Management). If you google him you should get his website. His ideas are great.

sue81

number system
Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Along with having students write their number on their papers, I have them turn them in in number order. They also have a check off sheet that is just a little slip of xeroxed paper of numbers and they cross off their number when they turn it in. (There are about 6 slips to a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper.) Each morning they turn in their assignments and I can quickly see who is missing assignments. On the slip I use a code. I circle the number if it is late and I put a triangle around the number if they were absent. I keep the slips paperclipped together so I can remind students at the end of the day what is still late. As an added bonus, if all papers are turned in on time the slip goes into a jar. When the jar is full of slips I bring a treat for the class like cookies.

abc5

Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I too use the number system. I have 4 homework checkers that check in the papers for me. I give them a clipboard with a class list of names. After numbering the papers in order (which goes quickly this time of year) they check off who turned it in, put an "L" for late papers, ab for absent and a circle for missing.
The homework checkers turn the slips into me and I have a master clipboard that I mark the late, absents, and missing. THe students fill out an index card with the date, the name of the assignment and why it is late. I keep this to show parents if it is ever an issue.
Then on my coat closet I have a mini pocket chart with numbered clothes pins and a piece of red ribbon. Anyone who is missing homework moves thier clothes pin to red to let me know they miss recess that day. IT is a quick reminder for me and them.
This has been a work in progress and I have tried many things before but it was usually a big ugly paper trail. I have used this for the last four years with pretty good results. In the beginning it takes awhile for the homework checkers to do their job quickly but now it is a breeze.
Good luck!

Enkidu

Old 04-12-2008, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

One thing you should know is that it is their work. Do you give out progress reports/poor work notices? If so, and most schools do, THAT is your notification. It is not your fault that the child has chosen not to do the work.
"Why was I not notified?"
"You were. This progress report is designed to report progress, and to give sufficient time for a student to make up work that is missing."

That said, it gets easier to keep track of everything!

Mrs. G

Another idea
Old 04-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The number system really isn't my style, but I know it works great for a lot teachers. I use other methods that are more convenient for me.

I have students take out their homework for the subject we are doing at the time, then I do a quick sweep around the room and eyeball each table. It is easy for me to see and most of them fess up before I even make my trip around the room. Then I have them collected by a person at their table and turned in. A variation of this is I have one person from each table collect the homework and let me know (quietly) if someone doesn't have their work.

You need to find a system that works best for you.

dmamec

Old 04-12-2008, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I also struggle with this. This year I have tried a form that is a half sheet of paper (diff. color each quarter) that has a place for the kid's name, place for the missing assignment ("Ch. 4 questions") and then a few places where they need to check off why it is late--forgot it at school, forgot to do it, left it at home, etc.

The parent needs to sign it. I staple it right into their assignment book where it must remain until I tear it out. I throw these in a bin when I tear them off (I tear them when I check their assignment books each AM). I then can go through and record them when I have time. It has helped--but it isn't perfect.

Miss Mouse

Ticket rewards
Old 04-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I check each assignment in each subject every day. I call it a home work check. It takes about a minute to scan everyone per subject. Since my school does not allow grades to be taken on homework, it is easy for me to scan the page for completion.
If a child does not have an assignment, I circle it in their assignment book so the parents will know. Then I record it on a sheet for the month. At the end of the month, those with 1 or 2 missing assignments get tickets. The tickets are accumulated for our end of the year auction. Those kids with the most tickets, of course can bid on the hot items, or get more items than those that don't. After 5 missing assignments for the month, they have to pay me 20 tickets for each missing assignment. In February and March, I did not have one missing assignment. April looks good too! The kids learn quickly how important doing their work is. If they have a missing assignment, they go to homework room that day. They take their lunch to the homework room, and have to miss recess. After a time or two in homework room, they learn quickly!

scouts honor

What Age Group??
Old 04-13-2008, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

If you are teaching Middle School, I definitely think that the responsibility should shift to the students. I also use the number system for collecting papers.
I have the designated student of the week (helper) put the papers in numerical order.
Children who are missing work due to irresponsibility or absence, must fill out a "Assignment Excuse" form found in the front of the classroom.
This form has their number on it, the assignment title, and the reason they didn't complete the work.
I then circle "Excused or Unexcused."
If it is Excused, the form is attached to a magnet on the front board and the kid has however long we agree on to finish the work.
IF it is unexcused, the form is filed in their Weekly Graded Papers Folder --the parents have to sign and return the slip.
(If a student is absent for a long period of time, put all missing assignment papers in a manilla folder titled "While You Were Out." Then post a due date on everything and the responsibility shifts to them. IF they choose not to bring the make up work home, that is THEIR responsibility, not yours.)