Functional reading program - ProTeacher Community

mer

Functional reading program
Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I have a 3rd grade student who can not verbally identify letters but can point to them. She did not do well with edmark reading program level 1 and I have started edmark functional reading program. She seems to be doing ok so far but I would like to know what other functional reading programs are out there. Any ideas??????????????

mer is offline   Reply With Quote

allensal

Functional Reading Program
Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello,
Edmark would be my first choice for a functional reading program. However, when a student does not appear to be making progress with Edmark, I use the language experience approach to teach reading. Using this approach, I have the students tell me something about themselves. Such as, a vacation, what they like to do, a special friend, what they do at home and school, their family, the weekend, etc. As the student dictates their story (maybe just one or two sentences at first), I type it in a large font (14 or 16) with double spacing. If the student needs help developing a story, I ask questions or give prompts to help them think of something to write. Once the story is complete, I make two copies. The student has one copy for the take home notebook and one to leave at school. Before sending the stories home, the student practices at school until they are able to read it with little help. I require the students to study their story each night and have the parents sign.
I usually introduce a two or three Dolch Words each week and use them in the story the student dictates.
I would continue to work with the alphabet. Teaching pattern words has worked with many students. Teach the letter name and letter sound when working with pattern words. Be sure you are pronouncing the sounds correctly!
Search the internet. There are many sites for teaching pattern words and sight words.
I hope this helps.
allensal is offline   Reply With Quote
mm

mm

functional reading
Old 05-16-2008, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When Edmark doesn't work, I use Reading Milestones, while it isn't functional, it only has a few words per story. It works for some of my kids better than Edmark, because they have picture cues. The work pages are GREAT. Some of my low kids can actually do them. If they can match words then they can do the comprehension picture pages.

Shari

Functional Literacy
Old 06-27-2008, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

http://www.fcrr.org/forTeachers.htm Free Literacy Centers K-5 (just download PDF files & print).

Braille Literacy: A Functional Approach - by Diane P. Wormsley
I use this for a student with visual impairment (blind) and autism. Worked great for that student. I use a similar approach for sighted students with other impairments (e.g. autism, non-verbal): Use 3 part cards (Picture/word & picture & word). 1. Match picture & word cards to picture/word card. 2. Match word card to picture card. 3. Read word card.

http://www.afb.org/Section.asp?Secti...ocumentID=3450 American Foundation for the Bling

http://www.maitrilearning.com/3partread.html Examples of 3-part cards

Make words relevant to the student (e.g. likes/dislikes; daily schedule; class schedule).
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote