Help needed with "Dog" Theme for room! - ProTeacher Community

TJ

TJ

Help needed with "Dog" Theme for room!
Old 04-23-2006, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone use a "dog" theme in their classroom before? I have 3rd graders and Clifford is too young, so, if you have any great ideas I would love to hear them! Thanks.

phoebe611

Dog stuff
Old 04-24-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Be sure to do a search here for it, I'm sure during the summer I saw the same type of question.

I like to use "Paws-atively Perfect Papers" and put paw prints on them.

For class helper, etc. "Look who's Top Dog" and put their picture in the doghouse.

Dog-gone good papers

My mind is blank, but if I think of others I'll post again.
phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote
clydesdale115

clydesdale115

Doggie theme
Old 04-24-2006, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our librarian was a big dog fan (Dalmations, in particular). She went with a dog theme in the library for a couple of years. The biggest hit of all was the metal dog cage she had in the picture book corner. She had piled it with pillows and the kids would BEG to crawl in the cage and read! What a fun trick - I actually found myself in there once with a kindergartner I was tutoring. The librarian snapped a quick picture for all to see :-)
You could use the Dalmation angle and go with a black and white (and maybe red) color scheme.
Use dog bone cut-outs for BBs, paw prints, dog print curtains or tablecloths, put a squishy doggie bed in the corner for reading, stuffed animals everywhere.
sm

sm

"Spotted"
Old 05-05-2006, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach second grade, for the last 3 years I have used Disney's 101 Dalmations as the characters for "Spotted". It has been a hit with all the children.
hed

hed

Old 06-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Arf" Favorite Books
Dog dishes for lunch count
Dog Gone Good Work
Boning Up On Good Manners
Make a paper dog for each student. If a student gets warned about a behavior send closer to a dog house until finally they are in the dog house.

Debbie B.

Debbie B.

Dog Theme classroom
Old 06-09-2006, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm an ancient dinosaur that's been out of the classroom for 17 years, but my babies are grown and I'm going back in the Fall - 2nd grade. I LOVE dogs and am also going to have a dog themed room. One great special event you might look into is having therapy dogs come to the classroom and have the children read to them - "Paws for reading" is a group of dog handlers in my area that visit classrooms - check it out. Also Paws for reading might be a great title for a reading nook in the classroom. A food bowl with bone shaped notes can be used for writing a note to the teacher's dog (set up a mail box - painted with paws or dalmation spots, etc) and then teacher's dog can respond to the students. Use best in show style ribbons for special rewards, etc.
CS

CS

pets
Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

To get to know some intersts of teachers in the building, we had a bulletin board called "teacher's pets." If you know of other staff members with dogs this may be useful. Students always stopped to see the different animals and it also made some great connections between the students and other staff members.
rj

rj

4th grade friend
Old 06-20-2006, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You could make personalized dog collars using small plastic letters for their initials. To finish the collars girls could use rhinestones,beads, etc. and boys could use fishing weights or small plastic sport items for meet the teacher night. bulletin boards--Dog Gone Good Papers--Man's Best Friend {positive message from friends}-- Paw Pals for pen pals---On Point for rules--- Something to "Wag Your Tail" About!for outstanding papers.
Hope this helps!
sandra teres

sandra teres

dog theme
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No Bones about it ...Mrs. ____class is Top Dog

Look who's in the Doggie House.

Caught you doing something Paw-sitive.

Working for Doggie treats. (reward system)

Barking up the RIGHT tree.

Leashing on to NEW WORDS (word wall )

yesteach

A Spot for Everyone
Old 06-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I believe that's the title.. Mary Engelbreit has some very cute dog stuff for classrooms. They can be found at most teacher stores or on the website at www.maryengelbreit.com (Mary's Store).
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote
TeresaB

TeresaB

Pawsitive2
Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've thoroughly enjoyed my dog theme for my second grade class. We have a weekly "Top Dog" who brings in an estimation jar covered with paw prints filled with some type of snack. This is our "Ruff" estimation activity. Also, for my classroom behavior chart I have 4 large colored bones. Green for Good Dog, Yellow for Warning, Red for No Treats (lose 1/2 of recess) and Blue for In the Doghouse - write letter to parents explaining behavior & lose whole recess. Each student has a numbered bone that is theirs for the year, so names are not visible to visitors. I have dog food bowls at each center to hold manipulatives, along with dog related activities throughout the year!

ladybug57

Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just read Champ. A fantastic book for Grade 2-5. It involves a character that finds himself through his devotion to a lame dog who he enters in an Agility competition. Very heart warming and there's even a unit plan for this book on a site. The book is available through Scholastic. It's a MUST HAVE book.
ladybug57 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We did dogs one year.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I put up a big dalmation and added a spot with a number each day to keep track of how many days we'd been in school. The helper chart had dogs and bones. The calendar had paw print numbers.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote
jilljones

jilljones

Dog Ideas
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I teach first grade and am also wanting a dog themed room. I LOVE these ideas!! Thanks! I have one for little kids that is really fun -- buy a lightweight leash and collar and run a wire through it so it looks like an imaginary dog is being walked. Then, your class gets to vote on the breed, sex, name, etc. Your line leader or star student or "top dog" or whatever must walk the dog to and from lunch, specials, etc. Then you can also put a dog bowl down and have one child tear up paper each day to "feed" the dog. Other classes will be jealous they don't have a dog too! You can also have a special stuffed dog with a cage that gets to go home with kids over the weekend like a class pet. So fun!
sawlindsey3

sawlindsey3

Teacher
Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hi,

My room is decorated in a dog theme as our school's mascot is a Pointer dog. I have laminated & cut-out paw prints to put on the walls. I painted one wall in my school's color and painted my bullentin board the same. I put the cut-out paw prints around the bullentin board for my border. My bullentin board reads, "Wrap Your Paws Around a Good Book!"

I also have a place on my wall for This Week's Top Dawg! I am decorating a big (real) dog bone from Walmart like a spirit stick. The student I select to be my Top Dawg for the week, gets to carry the spirit stick for a week.

You could also do: PAWS-a-tively Great Attitudes. PAWS for a ... Barking for...

Hope this helps,
SL in AR