Bald spot on hamster - ProTeacher Community

ogteacher

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Wet tail will have just that, a runny bottom, in that case, get the little fellow to the vet. If it is just a bald spot, many less serious things could be the culprits - nervousness, boredom, mites, etc. Make sure his cage is clean, give him some chew toys, and make certain the chips or whatever you are using on the bottom of the cage are fresh and not causing an irritation.

abcdefg

Bald spot on hamster
Old 04-23-2006, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

All of you give such great advice. I hope there is a person out there with great hamster knowledge. I have had a busy, busy weekend. It is sunday evening and I am trying to get everything ready for teaching this week and my ten year old son comes downstairs in tears. His pet hamster has a bald spot on his back. It looks like the hamster has chewed his fur, but my son is so sure the hamster has wet tail and it is dying. We had a hamster who had wet tail 2 years ago and it did not look like this. The hamster is also eating well and his usual active self. Any info on this?

Heidi

could it be...
Old 04-23-2006, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't have a hamster, but I do have a pet rabbit who gets bald spots twice a year. Once in the spring when he looses his heavy winter fur and again in the fall when he starts to grow his thicker coat. I totally freaked out the first time it happened and took him into the vet for a check up. They said it was normal and nothing to worry about. I believe female rodents do this even more because they use the fir to build a cozy nest. I'd keep an eye on the little rodent for a few days just in case it's the same thing.
H Loans

H Loans

Old 05-06-2006, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My hamster has the same thing but the bald pacth is round his legs. What your son thinks is not wet tail. So do not panick

H Loans

H Loans

wet tail
Old 05-06-2006, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My hamster has the same thing but the bald pacth is round his legs. What your son thinks is not wet tail. So do not panick

Sierra

Sierra

don't panick
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My hamster has 2 bald spots on his shoulders and it is from another hamster that was in his cage with him before we got him.It also depends on where you got him and how old he is.It could be from old age if you've had him for a while.It could also be from his former owner or pet store owner who might not have taken good care of it.