Stupid Question: Smart Board? - ProTeacher Community

GraceK

Stupid Question: Smart Board?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, I am sure this sounds so stupid, but I really don't get it-- what *is* a smart board? I tried doing a google search, but I don't completely get the links I've tried. An interactive white board? Wth? The pictures makes it looks like it connects to your laptop and it's a display board only, but you can write on it too? Download notebook lessons? HUH?

<---obviously working in one of those 19th century schools!

Ok, finally found a useful link to help me understand: http://www.kenton.k12.ky.us/SmartBoa...TBoardinfo.pdf If anyone has any personal info to add to this, I'd love to hear it! sounds like a cool idea. I know someone posted on here about writing a grant to get one for the classroom- I should look into that!

Last edited by GraceK; 04-14-2008 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: found info!
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Don't know how I'd live without it!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had a Smartboard for the last 3 years, and I really don't know how I'd get along without it. Yes, you can write on it, but there is so much more you can do. I use it everyday for so many things, and I have so many saved lessons using the software. I scan almost everything that I give to students so they can see it on the Smartboard. I use it for showing web sites and videos from United Streaming. There are some great interactive web sites out there to use for all subjects. You can show PowerPoint presentations/lessons. I subscribe to quia.com and use it for vocabulary games, review games, etc. I use it for math the most. It has a gallery of virtual manipulatives, shapes, flash lessons, etc. Speaking of virtual manipulatives, the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives has great interactive games you can use on the Smartboard. I know others will add to this, but if you can get one, you will love it!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

act56

She nailed it....
Old 04-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The previous post nailed it. It is a great
innovation.
If you have ever seen or done
a lesson using a projector hooked up to a
laptop it might give you an idea. This just
hooks the laptop right into a VERY SPECIAL
type of white board. When the board/laptop
are working, you can touch the smartboard
to move to a different site, etc., if needed.
Kinda like the touch screens you find at
WalMart or Lowe's to move you to another place.
No mouse needed. I wish we had them
here. All of the newer schools around us
are installing them when the build.
I heard the other day that there is now
a "device" that can do much of this on
a regular old white board such as I have.
Supposedly the device attaches to the corner
of your board and "beams" (?) the information
on to the white board. It is also attached
to your computer. Has anyone heard of this?
I cannot for the life of me, remember what
the device is called.
Remember the day you were so excited to have
an overhead projector just for your room?!!??
act56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

interactive whiteboard
Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

SmartBoard is one manufacturer of interactive whiteboards-others include Promethean and Mimio. SmartBoards and Prometheans are more interactive than Mimio-but much more expense. They include a special whiteboard that is layered to be a touch screen. Mimio is a device that attaches to any existing whiteboard and uses wireless technology and a special stylus that they call a mouse (don't confuse with regular computer mouse).

You and the children can
  • write on images projected on the interactive whiteboard-good for creating word banks, circling information, completing fill in the blanks, etc
  • use interactive online activities-I often model websites that I allow the children to use on the classroom computers-you can click, drag, write, etc
  • view videos-stopping to highlight information if desired-yes you can mark right on the images on the video
  • record markings on such images and move on
  • the recording feature on interactive whiteboards allows you to save student work using the whiteboard for assessment
Basically anything you can do on a desktop or laptop computer can be done on the whiteboard. Can you tell that I love my SmartBoard? It's so useful and after 2 years I'm still learning new ways to use it.
Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

biyubelle

Isn't Technology Grand?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am carefully reading these posts. My SmartBoard arrived this PM. I am beyond thrilled. Keep the info and great ideas coming, PLEASE.

biyubelle is offline   Reply With Quote

dmamec

Old 04-15-2008, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

VERY jealous teacher right here.

We have laptops and projectors and wish I tapped into the resource better. Anyone have good sites that would inspire me?

I model writing on it with Word...visit websites....view Brainpop videos...but want more ideas about ways to use this technology well.

Thoughts, anyone?
dmamec is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

e-books
Old 04-15-2008, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have electronic books available with our Math and Social Studies books. So I can go to the publsiher's website and put tectbooks pages on the board and write on them. There are also activites that go with the pages that we can do toghether.

I often look for images to explain things we are talking about. For example, today we were talking about drums. I found pictures of different kinds of drums. When we talked about recylcing paper, I found a website with pictures and an explanation of how a class made recycled paper. We have looked at the geyser camera at Yellowstone Park. I can write on the board, and highlight whatever we are talking about.

When we learned about counting coins, the kids had play money on their desks. I have pictures of coins on the Smartboard. We take out a set of coins, say 3 quartes, a dime, and 2 pennies. Someone comes up and drags the coins from the tops of the board to the bottom and we count the value of the coins, writing under the coins. They love it!

I also found a game on line called Stop the Clock! That has analog clocks with the time written digitally below. The kids drag the correct times under the clocks, trying to do it more quickly each time.

The Smartboard is my favorite thing in my room other than the kids!
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

pmpkin

Smartboard
Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm getting one next year and I can't wait!! Did it take a lot of training ?
pmpkin is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

It's easy to pick up
Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last year when I got it, I first had about half an hour with another teacher who had one. Then I had about an hour and a half in an after school workshop. I picked up a lot on my own. This fall I had a full day in-service. I honestly don't remember everything from the in-service. I had a student teacher at the time so I wasn't using it every day. There is so much you can do. I know I only use a fraction of what it is capable of!
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 04-16-2008, 01:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

OMGosh! I feel old reading all this (and I'm really not). This technology seems amazing, and kind of scary

<--- slight technophobe here... getting worse as I age, I think!

I wonder if I could write a grant for one.... are there grants still out there for this type of thing? Are they movable from classroom to classroom (for example, if I had to move classrooms again)?
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

MATechGuy

"Smart" board technology
Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We use a system called eBeam. It takes a regular full size whiteboard and turns it into a smartboard via a USB connection. That way, when you are not using it, you have the entire white board to use. When you want to use it, you just launch the program. You then use a stylus and dry-erase markers to make it do what you want. It took me a good week to get used to using it, but hardly a day goes by that I don't use it in the classes that I teach.

Check with your school or district administration and see if they have a grant writer on staff. At our charter school we have a parent that specializes in writing grants for us.
MATechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Once a smartboard is attached it can be moved but it would not be easy. You want a mounted board, though, because the moveable ones need to be oriented too often.

I LOVE my smartboard and the kids love it too!
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Here's the short definition:

A SmartBoard is a large touchscreen computer monitor.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote